Old 03-13-2001, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Panasonic CQ-DVR909U

Anyone own one of theses?

Does it play VCDs ?

How is it?

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura

2002 TL-S NAVI Dark Emerald Pearl on order
Old 03-13-2001, 11:20 PM
Instructor

I have one in my Honda test van or R&D lab for Video On My Navi Kit. My wife likes to call it her car ;} I did a write up on the CQ-DVR909U for www.autotoys.com, but before sharing my thoughts on this unit let me direct you to Panasonic's new CX-DV700 at 1/2 the price. You don't get Dolby Digital/DTS/DVD-A sound or fold out center speaker, but for basic in-dash DVD playback it's probably your cheapest ticket. Read about it in Panasonics press release section dated 1/6/2001. It should be available now!

Panasonic CQ-DVR909U Review:
Sleek design and cool functions make this state-of-the-art car stereo today, or should it be called a DVD car audio/video receiver. Panasonic's probably the 1st with in-dash CD / DVD video / DVD-Audio (DVD-A) radio. You see Panasonic's CQ-DVR909U has so many unique features, such as dual zone capabilities, selectable mute functions - on, half on or off, front panel tilt and dim adjustments. And DVD movie playback with Dolby Digital and DTS decoder(s) built-in (although no digital optical output is provided). The flip-out center speaker provides most Dolby Digital/ Dolby Pro Logic and DTS dialog with (small or large) and delay adjustments. Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS gets automatically 'Down Mixed' into stereo left and right audio when selecting duel zone mode. Add to this Panasonic's Dynamic Range Control (DRC) making softer movie soundtracks louder and the louder ones a bit softer - it's the perfect DVD player for your car. Separate audio source selection for front and rear speakers makes this a true duel zone receiver. Dual zone audio capabilities are perfect for rear seat video passengers and front seat music listeners traveling together, but systems like this work best in vehicles with a distance between the front and rear seats, such as mini-vans or sport-utility vehicles. Separate volume, bass and treble are also available for each zone. Only draw back to this is DVD playback starts over when switching between front/rear duel zone mode. Also the inability to play AM/FM tuner up front while a DVD is playing for the rear passenger is a limitation. Having the Panasonic CD-Changer or alternate audio source for the AUX-IN can be listened to up front. Alternatively pop in a new DVD-Audio disc (DVD-A) and treat your ears to the new superior sounds of 96Khz or 24bit audio, while your artist and song titles appear on your in-car display (or navi screen for owners of Video On My Navi kit). I would think this extended range will bring a new visual and audio quality to sound-off competitions. The phase II styling, wealth of features and performance make this a great center control for your mobile multimedia experience. A small learning curve understanding source switching and all the functions of this receiver, but it's worth it in the long run. Read the fairly well written manual and study the numerous button remote control closely, just not while driving!

And Yes it will play VCD's. According to the owners guide it "cannot" play the following formats: DVD-ROM, DVD-R/DVD-RAM,CD-ROM,VSD,CDV,CD-G,SACD,photo-CD and CD-R (because this product has its own reading device. CD-R discs can not be played back).

Hope that helps,
Steve

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on March 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-14-2001, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Holy cow batman! Now that's a detailed response! Good call Steve.
Old 03-14-2001, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Oh, and I forgot to tell you - Buy your unit from StreetEffectz and get professional installation! I'd even help him wire up your navi voice and mute circuit to CQ-DVR909U.
Old 03-14-2001, 02:38 PM
Racer

No CD-R's ? Is that verified?

If it doesn't do that i'll spent 89 a home dvd player and creatively mount it.

Least then i can watch my burned movies and music

------------------
2000 Laguana Green / NAVI, Burlwood Shifter, 35% Mirror Tint all over,2 x JL12W6s, Pioneer Premier P920R, MB Quarts Coaxial, PPI 2600.2 and 4400.2 , Pioneer 620 6Disc
My Acura

Old 03-15-2001, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Confirmed it tonight. The CQ-DVR909U can not play CD-R media. This is not a problem for me because there is always a DVD audio disc or DVD movie inside the unit! The 8-disc CD changer is where the CD, CD-R's go!
Old 03-15-2001, 03:04 PM
Racer

But I like watching burned DVDs .....

Oh well looks like I will have to wait.

------------------
My Acura

Old 03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

I just bought this unit and am going to install it tonite. I know it wont play CD-R's so i'll buy a cd changer but i need it to play DVD-R's. Anyone have any expereinces with them? Will a certian brand/color work in them??