Now that the Polk DX6 are so tough to find....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002 | 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Now that the Polk DX6 are so tough to find....

I know that they pop up from time to time on eBay (usually used), but for all intensive purposes, they are gone....

Has anyone tried the new Polk EX365 for the door speaker upgrade? They seem to have similar freq resp., dimensions, mounting holes....the 92db/w/m is more efficient than the DX6 at 90db/w/m....

I don't know if the speaker terminals are similar to the DX6 in a way where mounting the crossover/resistor/terminator mod would be possible.

If anyone as taken a look at a pair of these, or have performed the mod/install, please post and let me know what your thoughts are...

Or...if someone has found another speaker other than the DX6 that they were happy with...that would do as well.

Thanks in advance....

BTW, this is my first post...I hope that I found a new home here...I used to post at maxima.org in my former Maxima days.....
People seem a lot more civilized and friendly here.
Old 12-10-2002 | 06:07 PM
Instructor

Go here

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=48857
Old 12-10-2002 | 08:45 PM
Pro

Yes, as kennelm has directed you... I believe that Streeteffectz has several NEW pairs for sale.

Other than that... I have looked at the POLK EX365. I think that it should fit, and would sound a LOT better than the STOCK BS... You would need to drill ONE hole in the top of the speaker to line up with the door mounting screw holes. However, if you look closely at the picture of the speakers, there is already an indentation where yo would need to drill the hole... so it wouldn't be hard to locate the spot to drill.

The EX365 is a bit more efficient... THAT WOULD BE A GOOD THING... While the tweeter is a bit smaller 3/4inch as compared to the DX6 full 1inch... it does have a swivel mount that allows you to aim it in any direction. This could also be useful.

If I couldn't find the DX6s and I didn't want to spend a lot of money, hassle and time for a REAL SIGNIFICANT upgrade... I'd definitely give them a try. They have to sound better than the BLOSE. I've held them in my hand at the store and almost bought them for my rears, until I finally ran across one last spot on the internet that sold the DX6s.

But, again, I do believe that Streeteffectz acquired a small stock of these... I'd give him the business first!

If he's out, and you do go for the EX365s... PLEASE give us a report as to how they perform. With the smaller position adjustable tweeter, they may or may not require a rolloff mod?????

Good luck! You've found a good home here! Nobody flames anybody for their ideas... We may disagree, but we seldom trash each other... The moderators are great also!
Southbound
Old 12-10-2002 | 10:05 PM
Instructor

About 4 months ago when the DX6's were a craze around here, I had Streeteffectz put in 4 EX365s in (on top of 2 amps and a sub.) Needless to say, I went back to Streeteffects to have the 2 front EX365s replaced with 5 1/4" Alpine components.......big improvement. I kept 2 in the back for "filler". I would not say that the EX365s sound all that better than the stock system, but I also didn't think the DX6's sounded that great in my friend's car. They aren't all that expensive, so for the price, it is a simple minor improvement.

Anyway, I have 2 EX365s laying around if anyone wants to buy them......... I assure you they are in great condition.
Old 12-15-2002 | 09:47 PM
Advanced

What model Alpine's do you have??? I have the Polk Dx6 in my car now running off an amp. I got a really good deal on some MB Quarts. I have a set of 5 1/4 component's and 5 1/4 coax.. I am thinking aout swaping out all of the Polk DX6's (front and back) and putting in the MB Quart's....I know that MB Quart makes great "home" audio stuff, but I do not know much about their car audio.

Any info...should I put in the MB Quarts, or leave in the Polk DX6's? How good is MB Quart's car audio?

thanks
Old 12-15-2002 | 10:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by stampsosu
What model Alpine's do you have??? I have the Polk Dx6 in my car now running off an amp. I got a really good deal on some MB Quarts. I have a set of 5 1/4 component's and 5 1/4 coax.. I am thinking aout swaping out all of the Polk DX6's (front and back) and putting in the MB Quart's....I know that MB Quart makes great "home" audio stuff, but I do not know much about their car audio.

Any info...should I put in the MB Quarts, or leave in the Polk DX6's? How good is MB Quart's car audio?

thanks
I have Alpine SPX-137A's in the front, but kept my Polks in the back. I've heard MB Quarts is pretty good, but I really don't know much about them....I would think that any decent component speakers would sound better than Polk coaxial speakers........
Old 12-17-2002 | 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Talking WOOHOOHOO!

I found some DX6! I bought a new pair on eBay, and a lightly used set locally!
I don't think I'll be upgrading the rear door speakers, so I'll probably end up moving one of the pairs to members on this board after doing the X-over/terminator mod.

WOOHOOHOO!
Old 12-17-2002 | 08:35 PM
Banned

I still have access to about 20 sets!
Old 12-18-2002 | 12:55 AM
Pro

madjap,
Think again... no flame intended... BUT YOU WILL BE CHANGING OUT YOUR REARS! While the DX6s may only be medium grade speakers, you will soon find out that they are a hell of a lot better than the stock blose. Once you have done the fronts, the rears are a piece of cake... (less mods involved, easier door panels to remove, and you have the procedure memorized by that point)

I haven't heard of ANYONE who has installed the DX6s go back to the BLOSE or regret changing out ALL FOUR BLOSE. People have moved up to bigger and better systems with better component speakers, etc. but NEVER back to the POS blose... Trust me, take one look at them for yourself!

Ron, Sorry man, I keep trying to tell people that you have these available... I'm trying to send some easy business your way! Keep on holding on to them... Sask, egilsrud and I are working on a sticky for the upgrade. Once that is posted, I'm sure other new and late comers will be interested.

Happy Holidays
Southy
Old 12-18-2002 | 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

www.onlinecarstereo.com has them.
Old 12-20-2002 | 06:07 AM
Burning Brakes

yack!!! poke awedio....ya'll need to ck out my site more often and get better ideas.... http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=164157&page=5

dont add holes to ur door panels when u dont need to

I made a simple baffle that lays over the stock mounting plastic. this serves two purposes, it makes for a solid mounting baffle for my mids and using the stock plastic means my mids are protected from water from behind, just like the factory blose....

ok, so what did i do? the wooden baffle was marked and drilled to use the same mounting holes that the factory blose used. Then i mounted the whole assembly to the door and made sure the mounting screws were countersunk so that they didnt impede w/the mounting of the mid. then the aftermarket mid was mounted w/wood screws to the wooden baffle only! that is the secret!!! do it and u can fit virtually any mid that doesnt have an outrageously huge motor structure. to top it off, the front clearance is more than enough for the mids....they dont hit the door panel.

if you look at what i did on my rear doors, its another step you can take if you cant use the factory plastic baffle. the mids in the rear doors are tinier and my mids motor structure was too big for that rear baffle. so i made a wooden baffle out of 3/4" mdf. in this case, i still did the same thing, i used the rear speaker as a template for the mounting holes. then i mounted the baffle to the door and used 3/4" screws to mount the mids. since the basket is kinda thick, the screws didnt go all the way through the wood baffle....two cool ideas ya can use and it doesnt cost anything extra if you have the wood laying around. even so...u can go to home depot and buy a 2x4' sheet of 3/4 mdf for about $4...happy hunting

btw, mb quart are some of the best components you can get in car audio!
Old 12-21-2002 | 02:51 AM
Pro

Not to start a battle... because I completely believe in the concept of "To each his own"... But any speaker that you can fit into the STOCK plastic rainshield... has to be a small magnet. Probably a 5-1/4 inch speaker. That can't be that great of a thumper... especially with the acoustical back loading involved. Also a lot of novice home installers are not comfortable with the scope of your work to create custom baffles. Also the extra work to add the component tweeter, crossover, and wiring is an additional challenge. The STOCK blose speaker hit the door panel... you can easily see the indentations in the foam. Therefore, any speaker which requires a spacer thicker than 3/4 inch will end up having part of the suspension material resting up against the door panel... This may or may not become a problem. But I would prefer to avoid it.

I agree that MB Quarts speakers are some of the best. I originally tried to buy some for my TLS. However, they are inefficient and sound like crap with the factory EQ. THEY ARE ONE OF THE BRIGHTEST SPEAKERS ON THE MARKET. There is no way that you can live with MB-Quarts in the factory configuration. The EQ needs to be dealt with in some manner...

SO Yes, I'm sure your system sounds better in the end... but there is a significant amount of more expertise, work, time, and expense involved.

This is not a confrontational response. Please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to further explain the merits of the simple DX6 upgrade. Obviously it's not sufficient for you... and that's OK. I'm sure it's not that thrilling to a lot of TL'ers with highend expectations... But again, "To each, his own"...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Southbound
Old 12-21-2002 | 03:16 AM
Burning Brakes

which is exactly why i posted in this thread http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...893#post468893 about my reasoning behind the baffle. soldering resistors and caps seems more time consuming, but like u said, to each his own.

plus i have been installing for over 13 yrs now, so im a little picky when it comes to my car. i didnt have the blose in my car long enough to find out if they were in fact hitting the grill.

what i have done is very that my high end mids would have clearance by measuring and remeasuring. i took the door panels off a few months later do the sound deadening and the mids were fine, no marks, no mess, no worries.

as for the magnet size...yes and no. the magnet on these mids are huge...and beautifully adorned in chrome. but alas, they are 5.25 mids so the almost fit w/out using the spacer. even then, not to worry, if that was the case, you still have to protect your mid from water, unless u never drive in the rain. i wouldnt have hesitated to cut that plastic shield if the need has been necessary...

plus if u went through my door page, you would have seen that i wasnt able to use the plastic shield on the rear doors and that i didnt skimp out on protecting them from rain, i used damping material to shield them as well....i wonder how many ppl have been taking those precautions w/the dx6 upgrade...