New stereo install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New stereo install help

Since I was layed off last week - SEND SOME PITY!! -- I am going to try to install my amp and subs myself.
I am getting a Rockford Power amp and a dual 10" JL Audio sub box for the trunk. I am planning on using the Rockford 4GA wiring kit for multiple amps but have some questions.

Has anyone used the Rockfords and JL's in the CL? Is that install kit a good one?

The main question is how do you route the power cable from the battery to the trunk where I want to do the install? Also, I want to make a panel that will allow mounting the amp on the left side of the trunk. I will use MDF and cover with carpet, but how do you attach it to the side of the trunk, while making it flush with the rest of the side of the trunk.

In other words, I want to put the wires behind the panel and have it all look flush, with the amp mounted on the front facing into the trunk.

Thanks in advance for the help...I really need it since I have never done this kind of work before.

Old 06-27-2001, 09:01 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ZmZmCar:
Since I was layed off last week - SEND SOME PITY!! -- I am going to try to install my amp and subs myself.
I am getting a Rockford Power amp and a dual 10" JL Audio sub box for the trunk. I am planning on using the Rockford 4GA wiring kit for multiple amps but have some questions.

Has anyone used the Rockfords and JL's in the CL? Is that install kit a good one?

The main question is how do you route the power cable from the battery to the trunk where I want to do the install? Also, I want to make a panel that will allow mounting the amp on the left side of the trunk. I will use MDF and cover with carpet, but how do you attach it to the side of the trunk, while making it flush with the rest of the side of the trunk.

In other words, I want to put the wires behind the panel and have it all look flush, with the amp mounted on the front facing into the trunk.

Thanks in advance for the help...I really need it since I have never done this kind of work before.

</font>
Please read the fourth post down or click here, you'll find the answer.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Silver Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Sport Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
DOM 01/2001 #31432

[This message has been edited by SilverKnight (edited 06-27-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Okay, I saw that, but I stil have the following questions:

1. Should I route the power cable along the door frame or through the middle of the car?

2. What is a good ground point to use in the trunk?

3. Should I tie into the rear speakers as the signal enters the amp, or the high-level coming out of the amp?

4. Do I pick one of the rear speakers or how do I get a mono signal from the 2 speakers?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2001, 05:58 AM
Racer

Silverknight

So do you have your factory Headunit and aftermarket speakers? and if i understand all you did was run rca converters from the amp to the new amp? Does it sound clean?( no engine noise?)

------------------
Black Type-S

[This message has been edited by 360 (edited 06-28-2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 360:
Silverknight

So do you have your factory Headunit and aftermarket speakers? and if i understand all you did was run rca converters from the amp to the new amp? Does it sound clean?( no engine noise?)

</font>
i had my amp installed by circuit city here in va. they totally bypassed the bose amp. what they did was used a line out converter by scoche. i still have the bose head unit but changed the speakers in the passenger cabin. i do hear minimal "hiss" at really, really low volumes. as a matter of fact i can only hear the hiss when the car is totally stopped, without the engine running, and very quiet outside. when driving, i don't hear the hiss at all. that's the only noise i hear. i have an alpine amp to power all 6 speakers inside and an mtx amp to power my sub. if any, there is more noise coming from the vibration on the rear panel and on my passenger door due to the bass.

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish
"i drive it like my grandma....j/k"
Old 06-28-2001, 04:13 PM
Racer

thanks
so do you think alpine is the cleanest sounding amp? I am looking at a MRV 357 alpine. what do you have? and what kind of speakers did you put in?

------------------
Black Type-S
Old 06-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks
so do you think alpine is the cleanest sounding amp? I am looking at a MRV 357 alpine. what do you have? and what kind of speakers did you put in?

</font>
i have the mrv-f307 amp. sound is very clean. the speakers, i think i could do better in the fronts. i have the infinity reference series. i haven't connected the rears yet. the fronts are definitely better than the stock...( i think anything will be better than stock)....but i think the infinity reference lack mid bass. i will determine if i want to change the fronts after i've connected the rears. but at this time, it sounds quite good!

------------------
CL-P....icy white!
moon roof visor: mud guards: genuine acura nose mask: genuine acura burlwood shift knob: polarg m-12 on blinkers: m-4s on internal lamps: m-4 on rear plate lamp: piaa bulbs on road lamps: K&N drop in filter: Catz XLO Driving lights: zaino polish
Old 06-28-2001, 04:53 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silverknight

</font>
360, I'm running on stock speakers (no mas dinero )... a motorized screen-receiver is taking the place of the stock head unit. I will say bye to the stock amp. The KAC-849 5 channel will be controlled by a Kenwood half-din EQ (dont remember model number).

Icy, I'm sorry ... I'm still working on my car so I couldn't really post the pics. BTW, how much you paid for the install job?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Silver Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Sport Pedals
Customed self-installed sound system with 5-channel Kenwood Amp and 10in. Pioneer sub. in Customized box.
(modified) CAI.
Meshed grill.
My Pride
DOM 01/2001 #31432
Old 06-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverKnight:
360, I'm running on stock speakers (no mas dinero )... a motorized screen-receiver is taking the place of the stock head unit. I will say bye to the stock amp. The KAC-849 5 channel will be controlled by a Kenwood half-din EQ (dont remember model number).

Icy, I'm sorry ... I'm still working on my car so I couldn't really post the pics. BTW, how much you paid for the install job?

</font>
man...i got tired of working on that amp, silver. plus it got so freakin hot over here and i have no garage to work in so, i said f--- it. i paid $110 for both the amp and speaker installs.

------------------
CL-P....icy white!