NEW Door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 03:40 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NEW Door speakers

Now I know the people here are the most informed auto enthusiasts for the TL and I know all the talk I have heard so I want to hear what you guys have to say. What I am looking at doing is replacing the door speakers without replacing the head unit. Is this possible and what is needed to do it. Also if anyone lives near memphis and knows of someone that could do this could you tell me, or tell me how to do it myself.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

ok from what i have heard there are two ways of doing this you could simply just do a direct swap (take the old bose speakers out and simply put in the new door speakers) or you could run an amp and then hook the new door speakers to this...to get the amp and the headunit to work together i believe that crutchfield has some sort of relay type thing...oh with the direct swap method i dont believe you will get better performance out of the new speakers but i could be wrong...so dont look for any drastic improvements...
Old 01-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked the same question last month and here is the link for that discussion:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=29429

I will have a wire shop replaces my factory door speakers with Polk EX365 2-way speakers later this week.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb mbeebe!

I've done it! Four Infinity Kappas (see my Sig for the details). But I also installed new wiring and amps and a Line-Out Converter. You splice the Bose spkr wires coming out of the h/u into the LOC. The other end of the LOC has RCA outs to attach amps, EQ, etc. I replaced all spkrs, sub and wiring. The stock Bose sub and amp have also been removed.

Do a search under Audio for "replacing door speakers" and you'll see that we've covered this topic in depth. If you don't want to do the work yourself any reputable shop can do it. Keep in mind that any new 6.5" spkrs (the largest that will fit) will need a custom made adapter (I used MDF) to hold them on the door. The stock Bose spkrs are in a plastic basket that will not work for any other spkrs. Let us know if you have more questions.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:33 PM
TL Type-S Owner

does anyone know of a 2 ohm aftermarket speaker that will just replace the bose
Old 01-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Don't forget that the Bose HU EQ's the heck out of the cheap paper cone speakers that come standard with our cars. I believe that the EQ circuit is in a separate little box behind the HU, and that you can bypass the EQ easily.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: mbeebe!

Originally posted by mbeebe

does anyone know of a 2 ohm aftermarket speaker that will just replace the bose

Originally posted by TL Daddy

Do a search under Audio for "replacing door speakers" and you'll see that we've covered this topic in depth.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Instructor

I have replaced my OEM front and rear door speakers with Polk EX365 2-way (4 ohm). Although the Polk EX365s are not 2 ohm like the Bose but they sound just as loud as the original. In addition, stronger bass and higher frequency response than the Bose paper cone full-range speakers. I selected the Polk EX365s because they played louder than the other speakers that I listened with the same input power at the audio store (probably because it has a 92 db sensitivity spec). Can't believe the original speakers are so cheap.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Racer

Originally posted by tls988
I have replaced my OEM front and rear door speakers with Polk EX365 2-way (4 ohm). Although the Polk EX365s are not 2 ohm like the Bose but they sound just as loud as the original. In addition, stronger bass and higher frequency response than the Bose paper cone full-range speakers. I selected the Polk EX365s because they played louder than the other speakers that I listened with the same input power at the audio store (probably because it has a 92 db sensitivity spec). Can't believe the original speakers are so cheap.
Did you still have to make the wood spacers for the Polks? I'm getting lazy in my old age and wouldn't mind just dropping in some new speakers
Old 01-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Instructor

I paid a wire shop to replace my speakers. The installer told me that he drilled some new holes on the Bose speaker enclosure (I think it is a plastic enclosure that fits behind the Bose speaker) and was able to attach my new speaker to it without making a new adapter.