navi screen experiencing problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question navi screen experiencing problems

hey guys,

i have the stock navi screen, and i added the navi/DVD converter. The problem is that the screen has lines on it like horizontal lines that look like they are vibrating i guess (dunno how to explain it).. it seems to ME that its a power problem, because i spliced into the Cig lighter for the remote wire, and i have A LOT of stuff going on.. First i have this converter, then an amp and sub, a DVD player, and now 2 more headrest monitors... The screen has more lines on it when i plugged in the headrest monitors BUT the wierd thing is that the headrest monitors dont have lines on them- they are crystal clear.

To me, it seems like its a power struggle... what do you guys think? can i add an extra battery for all the electronics i have going on? need help

thanx in advance
Old 03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea there is def power issues here. you should take something off and tap into the power wire behind the headunit. as far as adding an extra battery. ummmm..... i dunno if thats plausible for screens and a dvd player.

p.s. how did that headrest install go? any pictures or a diy?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro

i actually got the screens from someone... he had them installed in his TL and everything matched so i just traded headrests and $...

as for the power, you saying i should split the power stuff... connect the amp and stuff thru the radio? and the rest of hte stuff can stay on the cig lighter? Or should i swtich everything to the headunit cuz that has more power?

thanx
Old 03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
i actually got the screens from someone... he had them installed in his TL and everything matched so i just traded headrests and $...

as for the power, you saying i should split the power stuff... connect the amp and stuff thru the radio? and the rest of hte stuff can stay on the cig lighter? Or should i swtich everything to the headunit cuz that has more power?

thanx

i think u should just split it in half
Old 03-12-2005, 01:25 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think that your converter is getting noise in the power line and that the HR mnonitors ahve filters to remove it. You are describing video noise.

I think you need to install a noise filter in line on the conveter power.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/NS10.html is an example. Many Audiovox dealers have add-on inline filters for Audiovox video products because they lack onboard filtering...
Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by elduderino
I think that your converter is getting noise in the power line and that the HR mnonitors ahve filters to remove it. You are describing video noise.

I think you need to install a noise filter in line on the conveter power.

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/NS10.html is an example. Many Audiovox dealers have add-on inline filters for Audiovox video products because they lack onboard filtering...
Thanx a lot elduderino.. i was waiitng for you to chek my thread!

the product is very affordable, so i will just order it and install it see how it works... does it matter wat company or do they all do the same job?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Pro

i forgot to mention... the lines showed up more when i hooked up the HR monitors, but the HR's dindt have much.. so this video noise will knock out the lines?
Old 03-13-2005, 12:25 AM
VP Electricity

THe HR monitors have some filtering inside that the box lacks... I suspect that the filter will take care of all that.

There are two kinds of filters: first order (a coil or inductor) and second order (usually a capacitor and a coil). I recommend the second if you can find it. You don't need much in the way of amps, just whatever fuse that box came with.

Filtering video noise in rear seat entertainment systems has been a huge issue for the last few years and I know one OEM whose kit came with a Radio Shack huge fist-sized inductor to put on the power wire! They had to wrap it in foam for rattles... but a second-order would have been smaller and better.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro

thanx man,

on that website you sent earlier- there are 2.. the direct one for that is 10 Amp, and there is another 35AMp one also.. should i go for the 35 amp noise suppressor?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:47 PM
VP Electricity

NP...

nah... no better at filtering, just a coil of bigger gauge wire. I'd stay with the 10A...
Old 03-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Pro

cool, i will order it as soon as possible and after i connect it i will let you know how it works out

thanxx alot man- ur help is much appreciated!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

try grounding the chassis of the actual dvd player.
A lot of times its moreso the grounding issue when it comes to video noise. If you've ever hooked up the new mini ps2, using whatever type of power converter wouldn't do the difference.

But make sure you still do have a good power converter. A decent one, and if still, then try to find a metal plate on the dvd player on the chassis and ground that again.

Its worked for me, many, many times.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro

NISMO: Thank you for the reply
when you say "but make sure you still do have a good power converter" do you mean the noise suppresor that elduderino is talking about? I am definately going to get that noise suppressor, but i am confused about the groudning of hte DVD player.. (btw, i am only using a dvd player- no Ps2 or anything)

How can i ground the DVD player better? i believe it is grounded to the battery right now.. but not sure i forgot waht i exactly did.. what do you SPecifically suggest??

thankz for your help
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Pro

nismo???? waiting for your reply

thanx
Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
NISMO: Thank you for the reply
when you say "but make sure you still do have a good power converter" do you mean the noise suppresor that elduderino is talking about? I am definately going to get that noise suppressor, but i am confused about the groudning of hte DVD player.. (btw, i am only using a dvd player- no Ps2 or anything)

How can i ground the DVD player better? i believe it is grounded to the battery right now.. but not sure i forgot waht i exactly did.. what do you SPecifically suggest??

thankz for your help
If its grounded to the battery, there really isn't a better grounding point but you can try taking a wire from a bare metal spot, preferably one where an existing screw or bolt is and attach it there and then back at a metal point on your dvd player.
BTW, I'm also experiencing the same lines issue with the stock navi screen. I've already tried a new ground but that doesn't seem to do anything for me so I'm gonna try a filter and see how it works.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro

yeah i figured grounding to the battery is the best thing.. I am just going to get that filter and see how it works.. Post back on this thread when you install it and let me know how it works

thanx
Old 03-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro

BUMP

juve, any updates on the install?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Pro

JUVE and Elduderino:::

i have the same EXACT problem as Juve with the lines on my screen- they are there only when the car is turned on, and when i turn it off the lines go away... So elduderino, instead of this (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/NS10.html) can i get the one you suggested to Juve in his thread? Or are they both the same?? or should i get boTH installed?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:37 PM
VP Electricity

they should be the same... interchangeable..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Silver, no updates yet. I do have a question for you or el though.

Where should I install this filter? Should I put it on the power line that runs my computer (this line comes right from the ignition, off of a 10A fuse) or should I put it on the power line that runs Vsokolov's Navi-to-video converter (powered from navigation unit ACC line)? I was first gonna put it on the converter power line but then I was thinking...The navi screen has some lines but not as bad as when I use the computer, so maybe its the power line for the computer causing the more lines? What do you guys think?

FWI, going to order the Peripheral PD10F tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro

same problem with me... it has more lines when i added the HR monitors... with you, more lines wiht the computer- HOWEVer, i think the converter is the distributer of that, so it should be connected to that, but we gota wait for the expert elduderino to respond on this... I ALSO need ot know where to connect it, cuz i have vsokolov's converter (the old one- the one with splicing into navi wires)

waiting for your reply, elduderino!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:59 PM
VP Electricity

Had to reload, browser wouldn't let me answer the question!

I would probably get two (if they're cheap). But most important is the converter, since you have lines with or without the PC.

I would do the converter FIRST if you get two. It's possible that with the computer on their is even more power noise that the box can't handle, and that with the filter on the power for the converter, the issue will be solved.

The PC OUGHT to have lots of input filtering...so I think you only need one. But it would suck to need two and only HAVE one...
Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Pro

elduderino, i orderd the peripheral PDF 10 amp power filter... the one you recommended to Juve.

how do i connect it to my converter? i think i need to connect to the converter, and hopefuly it will work.. I saw in the pic there are 3 wires, any help as to how to connect it?

thanx
Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 AM
VP Electricity

I think there is 12V in (from the car), 12V out (to the converter), and ground.

A power filter is basically a crossover that takes highs out - but ti does it to the power wire.

A first-order filter is a series inductor coil.

A second-order filter is a capacitor and a coil in a series-parallel arangement. Steeper filtering rate.

Many companies use either no filter or a first-order on their products. Audiovox has you add it on externally for this reason... becuase Action doesn't put it in...