Nav to DVD HELP B4 MY CAR DIES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 PM
SOLD 9/11/06 Parts 4 Sale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav to DVD HELP B4 MY CAR DIES!!!

Ok i just installed the nav to dvd converter from dom (plug and play one) but im having trouble with one thing... the converter and the FM modulator stay on after i shut the car off!!...i know its because the wires are run streight to the battery but i got power from a capacitor which i used to power up my subs and amp....the capacitor goes streight to the battery but when i shut my car off it used to go off too since it did not get a radio signal...now that i have the converter hooked up to it, it just stays on.... I think the only things that stay on are the LED'S to show that it is recieving power but it is still drawing power from the battery and i dont want to have a dead car in the morning. Does anyone have any solutions besides hooking it up the the ignition and splicing wires because i realy hate messing around with wires in my car?

Thanx
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueglows
Ok i just installed the nav to dvd converter from dom (plug and play one) but im having trouble with one thing... the converter and the FM modulator stay on after i shut the car off!!...i know its because the wires are run streight to the battery but i got power from a capacitor which i used to power up my subs and amp....the capacitor goes streight to the battery but when i shut my car off it used to go off too since it did not get a radio signal...now that i have the converter hooked up to it, it just stays on.... I think the only things that stay on are the LED'S to show that it is recieving power but it is still drawing power from the battery and i dont want to have a dead car in the morning. Does anyone have any solutions besides hooking it up the the ignition and splicing wires because i realy hate messing around with wires in my car?

Thanx
You've got it tapped into constant power & it needs to be tapped into switched power (i.e doesn't get power until the ignition is on). Tap into the remote turn-on for your amplifier for a quick fix if it's in the trunk. The Nav/DVD convertor I have is in the console, so I tapped into the 12-volt input (which is switched) that's in the console.
Hope that helped.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by funkbucket007
You've got it tapped into constant power & it needs to be tapped into switched power (i.e doesn't get power until the ignition is on). Tap into the remote turn-on for your amplifier for a quick fix if it's in the trunk. The Nav/DVD convertor I have is in the console, so I tapped into the 12-volt input (which is switched) that's in the console.
Hope that helped.

I agree with all but one thing, I wouldn't use the amp remote wire. Doing so could draw too much power from the head unit and will damage it. IT IS ONLY A QUICK FIX!--like Funbucket007 stated.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:34 PM

so what should i do because its so simple of a problem but so hard....i dont think i can put a swtich on my 4 gaugue wire that powers up my capacitor, amp, nav to dvd conervtor, fm modulator...i dont know where else to get power from other then my capacitor and i dont want to splice wieres....
Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

long term solution? buy better products.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by nismo
long term solution? buy better products.

WTF is wrong with these products that I should know about?
The problem im having does not concern the product its about my wiring and where I should put a switch. These products are not supposed to have a switch if thats what you are talking about. Its all about the way you wire them...
Ex. My sound system cost me like $600 just for the subs and amp...they dont have a switch in them...you have to wire them a certain way so that when you shut your radio off the sound system goes off too...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blueglows
WTF is wrong with these products that I should know about?
The problem im having does not concern the product its about my wiring and where I should put a switch. These products are not supposed to have a switch if thats what you are talking about. Its all about the way you wire them...
Ex. My sound system cost me like $600 just for the subs and amp...they dont have a switch in them...you have to wire them a certain way so that when you shut your radio off the sound system goes off too...
Check your PM. When I say a "switched" wire, I don't mean a wire with a physical switch on it used to turn things on & off. I mean a wire that is not seeing 12 volts until the ignition is turned on. The problem is with the installation, not your products per se.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM

ok how bout sound wise... i have the fm modulator not a cheap one but im hearing sort of a whisteling noise (peeeeeeeeee) does it have to do with my ground wire or something or is it always ganna be there?