Modifying single din for double din/AVIC-D1

Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Modifying single din for double din/AVIC-D1

I have an 2002 Acura TL-S 3.2.. No navi.. Im looking at puting the Avic-d1 in.. it is a double din and obviousley the 2002 TL-S is single din.. Im looking at maybe modifying a single din faceplace to use.. such as :

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOAA1574B

Maybe getting a dremmel and cutting a little bit out to make the opening big enough for the Avic-D1.

Can anyone give me some pointers OR if anyone has modified a single-din unit to make it double din, can you give me some instructions and or before/after pictures? Ive got a cousin who was the install bay manager at the local best buy, electrical engineer major so I know I can get some help, but any pointers and or pictures are very very helpful. Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the assistance!

Ryan
Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok since i am currently in the process of making one and have made a couple in the past i will see if i can give you some pointers..

the easiest way to do this is to take the trim ring that comes with the pioneer avic-d1 and cut an opening in the middle of the scosche kit.. personally i like the way the metra one fits better.. but anyways.. after you get the metra kit cut out where the trim ring will fit.. take some epoxy and glue the trim ring in the faceplate where it is flush and centered.. after you have it glued in and the glue has cured go get some fiberglass filler or bondo and fill in the gaps... or basiclly spread it over the face of the faceplate and then sand it down to make it smooth.. after you have the shape you want hit it with some spot putty to get the high and low spots.. sand some more.. hit it with primer filler.. more spot putty if needed.. then sand with some 1000 grit or 2000 grit and hit it with your final coat of flat black to match the dash... i will have some pictures up in a week or so of my custom kit.. hope this helps..