Looking For Good Sub Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking For Good Sub Suggestions

Ok I'm trying to do some research on a pair of new subs. Not really interested in amp suggestions to power them unless it makes a difference in sound. I have just been looking around and seen a lot of suggestions for JL or Alpine or Audibahn and a few no-names that look impressive. I'm just curious as to what subs will do the best job in a sealed box in the trunk of the TSX. Speakers that make the loudest, tightest, hardest hitting bass is much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Links to websites would be great also thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:11 AM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by r33p04s
Not really interested in amp suggestions to power them unless it makes a difference in sound..
You can't power subs from the factory amp, if that's what you're thinking..
Old 09-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok I'm trying to do some research on a pair of new subs. Not really interested in amp suggestions to power them unless it makes a difference in sound. I have just been looking around and seen a lot of suggestions for JL or Alpine or Audibahn and a few no-names that look impressive. I'm just curious as to what subs will do the best job in a sealed box in the trunk of the TSX. Speakers that make the loudest, tightest, hardest hitting bass is much appreciated.
let me help narrow your search, the type R subs from alpine basically suck in sealed or ported boxes. they have too heavy of a cone assembly and a weak motor. i've seen the responce curve several times in my own computer simulations.
second forget the Audiobahn, they have way too high of compliance (suspention is stiff) and therefore require a lot of power. Audiobahn is really just jewelery or eyecandy they put too much much emphasis on chrome, and fancy shit so people will buy their subs. if you know anything about subs and look at their specs compared to other subs or run a computer simulation with them you will see that they really arent all that, buy a sub with your ears, not your eyes.

as for the JL personally i think the W7 line is also hype. JL decided to use a weak motor to improve the BL curve the only problem is that running a weak motor in the size enclosure they reccommend causes distortion. for the money i would look to another sub.
however their W6v2 line or W3 line of subs is a very affordable and well built sub. they have been making them for years and i have used many in my own installations.

if i were to pick a sub i guess i would of course pick my own, well because i designed them myself. unfortunatly because of what my subs are capable of they cost a little more than a JL but you do get what you pay for. im not into the caraudio scene anymore as i have decided to get into insurance (for the last 1.5 years now) but i still have a few of my subs in stock if anyone is interested. they work well in ported enclosures, but were specifically designed for bandpass boxes. my pair of 10's does 150db at the dash from 17-117 hz perfectly flat in my power mouse box. the 8's has the same responce but does about 146db at the dash.
let me know if your interested.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As tuan is fond of saying, how much do you want to spend - i.e., what is your budget?

And what kind of music will you be listening to? What are your three favorite albums right now?

BM, shouldn't that be on the Black Market thread?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

eld--good to see your still hangin around
Old 09-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Well I'm just feeling it out trying to see what I can get for a decent price (under $500) I listen mostly to the hip hop rap n r&b so bass is a pretty important part I'll take care of the mids and highs another time to hear the details in the voices and beats another time

BTW I know I cant power them of the factory amp I just need to sub suggestions not amps as they are pretty simple to choose by channel and power you need
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
2004 TSX

BTW I know I cant power them of the factory amp I just need to sub suggestions not amps as they are pretty simple to choose by channel and power you need
Just clarifying, sorry if I offended. Someone asked that recently.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
get two 15 inch subwoofers and a 2000 watt amp. and bump dat shit ya heard
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Design By Force

I had 3 10" JL W6's in my old accord, and it was the shit. I am also a fan of the eclipses and diamond audio's. If you are looking for good deep bass though you need to be concerned with the amp. It actually is more important than the sub, IMO. good clean power can make a shitty $50 car toys sub sound much better, while you can buy a $350 diamond audio sub and not get even half of what you are paying for by powering it with a peice of crap amp.

Three things need to be matched to get the best sound for the $$$ - sub, amp, enclosure. Don't underestimate anyone of these...trust me, it will be worth it.

I have to say though, when i had my JL's they were perfect for rap & hip-hop, that's what i listen to all day, every day. They were powerful, but really clean and deep. I really don't know about the new W7's though, even the W6v.2's. Check them out though, bring one of YOUR cd's into a place that has some set up so you know what the difference sounds like. I used to work at Magnolia Hi-Fi here in seattle and trust me, let your ears tell you what sounds good, not me or the salesperson.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theARCHITECT
I had 3 10" JL W6's in my old accord, and it was the shit. I am also a fan of the eclipses and diamond audio's. If you are looking for good deep bass though you need to be concerned with the amp. It actually is more important than the sub, IMO. good clean power can make a shitty $50 car toys sub sound much better, while you can buy a $350 diamond audio sub and not get even half of what you are paying for by powering it with a peice of crap amp.

Three things need to be matched to get the best sound for the $$$ - sub, amp, enclosure. Don't underestimate anyone of these...trust me, it will be worth it.

I have to say though, when i had my JL's they were perfect for rap & hip-hop, that's what i listen to all day, every day. They were powerful, but really clean and deep. I really don't know about the new W7's though, even the W6v.2's. Check them out though, bring one of YOUR cd's into a place that has some set up so you know what the difference sounds like. I used to work at Magnolia Hi-Fi here in seattle and trust me, let your ears tell you what sounds good, not me or the salesperson.
Personally .. dont even go into those kind of store .. reasons being: The placement of those sub/speaker is optimize to sound good. A room and the car ave two different acoustical design. In the store it can sound good but in your car could sound bad. Peronslaly .. if ther's a shop out there that can let you test listen the product in your own car .. that'd rock !
Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Design By Force

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
Personally .. dont even go into those kind of store .. reasons being: The placement of those sub/speaker is optimize to sound good. A room and the car ave two different acoustical design. In the store it can sound good but in your car could sound bad. Peronslaly .. if ther's a shop out there that can let you test listen the product in your own car .. that'd rock !
That definitely would be ideal, but i have yet to find a place that would be able to do that for you... as far as comparing sub to sub however, this will help you make a decision
Old 09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
2004 TSX

Go to a local car audio competition and find the SQ people and ask to hear their systems.
Most audiophiles are more then happy to demo their systems. And go easy on the volume levels to start, or you'll fatique your ears and everything will sound the same...
Old 09-10-2004, 12:09 AM
VP Electricity

But be warned, they'll probably play some music ya never heard before...: )
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Since I was into car audio for the longest time (probably the last 5 years) - there have been many new trends in subwoofers, but the most integral thing is the install.

You can have a great sub, but if the box isn't made to align with the T/S parameters of the woofer, then you are just wasting your time and money. On top of a properly built box, you need good clean amplification. Find a nice amp that puts out at least 250 watts of RMS power and you should be fine. To throw out some good companies check out:

Tru Tech http://www.trutechnology.com/main.htm
Arc Audio http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/default.htm
Zapco http://www.zapco.com

Depending on your budget here are some good subs out there, but like with anything experience each sub for yourself and take our recommendations with a grain of salt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ov2.htm

http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~...s~t~Subwoofers

I can talk car audio all day, but in the last 6 months I have been trying to downplay its role in my new car because I don't want to touch anything yet. If you wanna see a killer install check this out:

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/535161/9

Cheers
Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
checking on car domain's site .. most of the people who ahve the elemental design have a lot of problem with the cone. Seems to crack a lot. any comment?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Instructor

From what I have heard, these were issues with the suppliers for the 1st versions.
The guys over there made some changes and that is why they have v.(x) for the O and K lines. Not so much a re-engineering or re-vamp, but just polishing up the quality control.
They are very solid performers for the price point plus they can go in rather small enclosures.

My favorite budget sub is the IDv.3 from Image Dynamics. But, if I were a rich man - I would probably get a pair of Image Dynamics IDMAX 10's and run them off of 1200 watts RMS. Needless to say - I am a fan of Image Dynamics.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Burning Brakes

actually i had my subs built from the same place the e subs were made. i knew from the beginning that it was a bad idea and so did well i cant say but lets say i had some inside information that it wasnt the best idea to begin with. last i heard E design went to another manufacturer and changed their subs to get away from the flat cones. unfortunatly IMO i think he would have been better off to stay with the same manufacturer and change the design. but im not really in the scene so i dont really care much about it anyway.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the great advice I will be looking into those speakers and taking all your advice on listening and planning before buying and installing. If you guys have anything else feel free to add on to it.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Did you have a specific price point because I can point you in the right direction for good credible online retailers that'll be much less than retail.

Plus alot of car audio shops out there can smell a customer that they can bamboozle - do your research before going in and you should be fine if that is the route you want to take.
I've seen guys go into a shop and spend 100.00 on wiring for an amp (the shop said that they didn't have any packaged kits that they could sell, so it had to be parted out piece by piece). In my head I said that he could get a nice kit from here for half the price shipped ---> www.darvex.com

At the 150.00 starting bid, the Oz Audio Elite that I referenced on the ebay auction is a very good deal considering it would probably cost upwards of 350.00 retail. It probably won't have alot of bids because its isn't well known like Audiobahn or Rockford Fosgate who many people buy just because thats what alot of shops push.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:39 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by focalmatic
Did you have a specific price point because I can point you in the right direction for good credible online retailers that'll be much less than retail.
Uh, look, dude, we've been trying to get this info out of him ... thank god you're here to show us how to do it! : )

The biggest advantage of buying from a store is if you blow up the woofer, it's a lot easier to get replaced, without shipping costs.