Links to Remove Stock HU, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 05:55 PM
2002 TL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Links to Remove Stock HU, WTF?

Ok, my 6 disc changer on my 02 TL-S jammed up and the dealer is telling me it will be a half hour labor to try to unjam it and $1000 to replace the HU if they can't unjam it.

I come to this site to find instructions to take out the HU and every thread plus the sticky in this forum has a link to a website that no longer exists. Can someone please point me to some instructions so I don't destroy my dash trying to get out this friggin' Blows CD player? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
1. Open center console compartment (just to get access to the ends of the trim pieces).

2. Pull off the two trim pieces that run alongside the shifter (just pull, they pop right out).

3. Remove screws for head unit and note holder.

4. Pull it out.

It takes less than a minute if you know what you are doing. And they want $1,000 to replace it

Check the black market, I recently saw someone selling one for around $200 shipped.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:06 PM
2002 TL Type S

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
It takes less than a minute if you know what you are doing. And they want $1,000 to replace it

LOL, yeah. Thanks for the instructions...that should help. I figure if I can get it out of the dash without destroying the dash I can get my CD's back from the Blows changer with a blowtorch and some vice-grips. Then replace it with a nice DVD player or a satellite radio receiver. Crutchfield.com offers the free DIN adapter plate with any stereo purchase.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool, Crutchfield is finally stocking the Metra kits. Last I checked they didn't have them.

If you have any questions or run into any snags taking it out, ask here. I've probably removed that trim 40 times.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 PM
2002 TL Type S

If you have any questions or run into any snags taking it out, ask here. I've probably removed that trim 40 times.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:20 PM
2002 TL Type S

1. Open center console compartment (just to get access to the ends of the trim pieces).
2. Pull off the two trim pieces that run alongside the shifter (just pull, they pop right out).
3. Remove screws for head unit and note holder.
4. Pull it out.
Ok, you made it sound way too easy - less than a minute? If I wanted to break something, sure I could just rip the head unit and note holder out, but there are tabs that keep you from removing this section until you unbolt the shifter section and pull it out. Before you can do that you gotta loosen up the cup holder section.

Why? Because every section of the center console is interlocking. I had to put my foot on the shifter section of the console and pull very hard on the cup holder section to get enough distance to bring the tabs out from the other piece. Then I could move the shifter section enough to get the head unit/note holder out. What a friggin' pain in the azz!! To make matters worse, after I managed to get the CD player unjammed and got the eject/load mechanism working, it won't play CD's anymore.

So, do I go with a junkyard 6 disc special or just go aftermarket with the Metra kit and satellite radio. If I bought one of those indash DVD players, is there a mod to allow them to play with the car in motion? Any way I can still use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket stereo? I love my steering wheel controls.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
2002 TL Type S

I checked around at least 7 or 8 junkyards/used parts places around here for a 6 disc changers - the best I could find was $525 shipped for a used factory radio. So I ordered an Alpine CDA-9851 with a Sirius tuner from Crutchfield. Free shipping, instructions, free harness, and free Metra kit. I also ordered a PAC off eBay that will allow me to use the steering wheel controls...the new PAC I got plugs into the remote plug on the back of the receiver so no need to mount a remote IR sender. Can't wait to hook it all up this week.

Anyone know the best way to mount the satellite radio antenna on an '02 TL?