CL: Line Output/ Amp wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line Output/ Amp wiring question

I am replacing the stock speakers and adding amps and a sub to the CL. Just a quick question about the wiring.

Do i need to tap into the wiring after the stock amp or can I use the "in" speaker wires to the stock amp and route it to the line output converter (Audiocontrol Lc6) then tap into the "out" speaker wires from the stock amp?

Essentially, can I bypass the speaker connections for the stock amp or do I need to keep it in place? I have the diagrams (thanks to this forum) so I know what wires are what.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
this ? has been asked to death i had better sound tapping behind my hu
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks. I will tap the wiring in the trunk before the amp rather than in the dash behind the HU. More room to work and better access.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

ok do as you wish. In my experience and others my sound was louder and cleaner behind the hu. But hey it's your car, and what do i know about systems.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

You sound as if you have done both then compared the sound quality. If you have, congratulations and thanks again for your input.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,419 Likes on 3,028 Posts
are you replacing the head unit? If not, why run amps off stock hu?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

I have a system that came out of a previous car. Focal separates and coaxials that I have already installed. Audiocontrol LOC and Kenwood amps, one stereo and one mono with a remote sub level control. 8" JL sub that I plan to face through the pass through to the truck. I put the sub control to the left of the pop out drawer in the dash (no nav.)

I wanted to keep the audio controls on the steering wheel.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
All that nice gear, and you're going to limit your sq by being too lazy to work inside the dash? Wow dude, just wow... Oh, and the stock hu only gives you so much control-ability of your sound... Depending on your amps, those might also be limiting your sq. Oh, and you do realize that there are companies that make adapters so that you can keep your steering wheel controls with aftermarket hu's right? They're like $60-80 depending on the brand of hu you buy...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

i got a question too. i wanted to run the stock car audio with a amp and sub.. i tap the remote to the one that goes to the stock deck and for the R/C wires i just tap it with the speakers into a r/c adapter into the amp. everything works and sounds correctly but the volume is sooo off, at volume one my system would be soooo loud it's like i was blasting it. does anyone know the problem?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

Not lazy at all. I did not realize that where the lead gets tapped played such a big difference in sound. Am I to understand that tapping the same set of wires whether it be in the dash or in the trunk before going into the factory amp yields such a difference in sound?

At this point I have the power, grounds, remote, gain control, and speakers mounted. Next phase will be installing and wiring up along with building the box.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Think about it. If the signal has to travel 4-6" vs 15 feet, wouldn't it be louder? Also, you don't have to trust factory wiring. You get to replace all of it with stuff that you choose the quality of. That's the big improvement...
Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^^^^
Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mattastick
Think about it. If the signal has to travel 4-6" vs 15 feet, wouldn't it be louder? Also, you don't have to trust factory wiring. You get to replace all of it with stuff that you choose the quality of. That's the big improvement...
Thats interesting since when I purchased the system and had it professionally installed, they tapped the speaker leads in the trunk area ans there was no problem with sound.

Also, if the 8 or 10 feet were such a big deal why do factories put the amp in the trunk? Think about it, the signal comes out of the HU and runs to the trunk, where the AMP is and then to the speakers. Are you telling me that since the AMP is in the trunk that if it were closer to the speakers you would get better sound???? I didn't think so.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tpick23
Thats interesting since when I purchased the system and had it professionally installed, they tapped the speaker leads in the trunk area ans there was no problem with sound.

Also, if the 8 or 10 feet were such a big deal why do factories put the amp in the trunk? Think about it, the signal comes out of the HU and runs to the trunk, where the AMP is and then to the speakers. Are you telling me that since the AMP is in the trunk that if it were closer to the speakers you would get better sound???? I didn't think so.
The factory puts the amp back there for the same reason everyone taps signal there, it's simply easier. And just because your system was "professionally" installed doesn't mean shit, hate to tell you. The 1 shop around cincy that I would even think about letting touch my car taps the signal under the dash. I've seen the installer do it when I was there hanging out with a guy that used to work there, and is still good friends with everyone on the install staff. Or maybe he was just putting a JL Cleansweep under the front carpet for nothing... Yeah, that's what I thought, it's there for a reason...

And just because a factory does something, doesn't mean it's the best way. It just means it's the most cost effective to get the end result they're looking for. It's alright sound and easy as hell to get to vs good-great sound (for factory) and hard as hell to work with/on. Take your pick if you're mass producing cars... Yeah that's again what I thought...