Just got the XM Commander for Christmas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004 | 04:51 AM
Move toward the window...

Just got the XM Commander for Christmas...

I got the XM commander as a Christmas gift, and I plan on having it installed by a professional in the area (I'm a complete electronics novice) I've got two questions.

1. I absolutely do not want it to be FM Modulated, so I'm planning on buying the Blitzsafe HON adaptor thingy. Is this the correct purchase for my TSX with Navi, and are there any additional products I need to buy before I have everything installed?

2. Do any of you know of a reliable installer in the Southern California area?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2004 | 12:18 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

I am doing the same thing...have the Blitzsafe adaptor, just make sure you get the Navi-specific one. As far as other things, you will need the cord to attach the commander to the blitzsafe, but that should be $10 at Best Buy. Also, you may want to consider a line driver (you can get one for $35 or so at Logjamelectronics.com) because apparently without it the xm isn't that loud. As far as installers, sorry, don't know any out there. Good Luck.
Old 12-26-2004 | 08:27 PM
2004 CG TSX w/ At & NAV

congrats on gettin the commander. i love mine and it is fm mod until i get some cash for the rca adapter. anyways. one recomendation...check out my install in the upper storage compartment below the cd player. it is clean and u can still close the door to hide it when not in use. my dealer asked where i got it done and i told them i did it and they started having people call me to make them the trim plates for the install lol. anyways good luck ull love xm. also....you will get better reception placing the antenna tucked in between the dash and the windshield in front of the driver side a-piller in front of the tweeter. its better than on the rear deck. enjoy!
Old 12-26-2004 | 08:40 PM

whoseanthony,

I have printed out pictures of your install from another thread that I plan on giving my installer so he can copy it Only differences will be that I will put the antenna on the passenger side (emissions sticker and navy pass on driver's side might block signal) and I want to have the quarter-sized switch to change between XM and iPod installed where the commander is. If the switch won't fit there, I will have them put it in the blank next to the VSA switch. Congrats on your beautiful install, and thanks for the pics.
Old 12-26-2004 | 09:44 PM
VP Electricity

I don't remember how far Cerritos is, but Competition SOundworks is good.
Old 12-26-2004 | 10:20 PM
Move toward the window...

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
I am doing the same thing...have the Blitzsafe adaptor, just make sure you get the Navi-specific one. As far as other things, you will need the cord to attach the commander to the blitzsafe, but that should be $10 at Best Buy. Also, you may want to consider a line driver (you can get one for $35 or so at Logjamelectronics.com) because apparently without it the xm isn't that loud. As far as installers, sorry, don't know any out there. Good Luck.

OK, so the BLITZSAFE HON/SNY ITI input converter is something I definitely need, along with a line driver??

Which line driver should I get? Thanks for your help - like I said, I'm a complete moron when it comes to electronics for my TSX.
Old 12-26-2004 | 10:31 PM

This is the one I bought:

line driver

No idea if it works well yet, I am getting my whole setup installed on Wednesday. Can't wait, iPod and XM! Wooohooo!
Old 12-26-2004 | 11:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Hmm...that looks like a pretty good line driver. Let me know how that line driver works out for you!

What wires do you have to run to the line driver? Just power and ground?
Old 12-26-2004 | 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Hmm...that looks like a pretty good line driver. Let me know how that line driver works out for you!

What wires do you have to run to the line driver? Just power and ground?
I believe so...plus the obvious RCA's for input and output. I am moderately retarded, and not touching my TSX with a wrench, so Tweeter will be putting this all in for me.
Old 12-27-2004 | 09:51 AM
Stardog Champion

I did not need a line driver for my car, and did not end up with any engine noise. I thought the whole thing turned out nicely with the Soundgate adapter.
Old 12-27-2004 | 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Quick question. I recieved a delphi xm radio for x-mas and would like a direct import to the stereo. The problem is that I already have an ice-link for my ipod. Does that mean I am up a creek? I know that I am using the cd changer for my ipod, but there is an "AUX" on the cd button. So I am hoping that I can get a blitzsafe adapter and continue to use my ice-link. Do you think this will work for me? I sure would be happy if it would... Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 12-28-2004 | 07:31 PM

Check out this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18282
for the advice elduderino gave me re: your exact issue. All of my stuff is being installed tomorrow, I will give a full report next week, since my gf is visiting this week, so not a lot of computer time. Good Luck.