Just got new stereo installed....AND IT SOUNDS LIKE COMPLETE SHIT

Old 05-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Certified Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got new stereo installed....AND IT SOUNDS LIKE COMPLETE SHIT

Im so fucking pissed right now...just got new speakers installed at this place samm sound in caldwell new jersey....got alpine type s speakers front and rear, type r 10 inch sub in the trunk and an alpine amp, and i left without giving it a through listen cause i had to get to school to take a final and they were closing. Suposed to be a realy good place know people who were happy with the place and even know someone who used to work there....long story short, its horrendous....the speakers sound like there blown if you put the volume even half way up, and i would say the sound completly went out like 5 times if i put the volume up....with the volume at max, it sounds like the speakers in my 89 legend in which each one is blown. THe only thing that sounds good is the bass from the sub. Anyone have any idea what the issue is im sure these speakers arent suposed to sound like this, stock sounded 100x better. Im obviously gonna be going in there tomorow guns blazing, but anyone got any sugestions?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

tune the settings on your headunit?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Certified Lurker

Originally Posted by big mike 13
tune the settings on your headunit?
Ya ive done that....like if im listening to a cd and i put the sound to one speaker and then put up the volume it just sounds awful....

And that also has nothing to do with it completly cuting out...i meen i dont know that anyone can realy tell me what the problem is i just gotta go right on back there tomorow, even though i realy dont have the time to.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:04 PM
The Designer

Perhaps there isn't enough power going to the speakers? Are you powering them from your stock HU? Some speakers, especially larger ones such as 6 1/2" or 6x9" need more power as an RMS minimum to sound good or they will sound distorted. The way I read it you have the alpine amp going to the sub alone.

Also make sure if you have any LOUD settings on the HU i'd turn those off and not bass boost anything if you also have that option.

If it was me I'd have a 4 channel amp going to the speakers with a built in variable crossover or at least a high pass crossover to keep your speakers playing midbass and highs.

This is all a guess though, perhaps it was just a bad installation, hard to guess. First thing should be to bring it back, have them sit in it with you, and tell them what you hear. Make sure you get your money's worth.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Racer

I would definitely take it back and complain.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my friend got a system installed in his 69 mustang there and he loves it.....
Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
What is powering the speakers?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I NEED MONEY!

damn, that sucks...seems like it was an install error, they usually adjust the speakers and everything when they test them out..
Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
If they are running off the stock deck, it could be because Bose is 8 ohm and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Originally Posted by Collective27
Im obviously gonna be going in there tomorow guns blazing, but anyone got any sugestions?
Ya should've gone to street effectz

I did (that's too cool btw)
Old 05-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may be that the speakers are out of phase. This is an easy mistake to make and easy to fix.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Im obviously gonna be going in there tomorow guns blazing, but anyone got any sugestions?

Maybe if you go in there with a cool head you'll get what you want. Assholes rarely get the service level they expect. It could be something simple, give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your sound cuts out when you turn it up? It sounds like your amp is cutting out. That can be from your speakers being hooked up wrong. And that can make it sound like $h!t. Take it back and say fix it with a quickness!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:39 AM
10th Gear

It just sounds like a speaker wire got pinched when they were putting the radio in the dash. Go back and ask them to fix it and it should be done without any problem, no need to go off on them unless they start giving you attitude. The old saying that you get more flys with honey than vinegar holds true. I would barely do anything for people who came in yelling and screeming at me when I ran my shops, but if a customer was polite and calm they got the world in exchange. Mistakes do happen.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Certified Lurker

Went there this morning and the guy listened to it and said something about the amp sending to much power to the headunit and it needs to be adjusted....will be bringing it back on thur for the adjustment....he said that thats definitly why it was cuting out and they need to turn the volume level down on it or something to that effect and that when they do this the speakers would sound better but when i put it on full blast it wont be as loud....this is kinda defeating the pourpose of what i brought it there for though cause i always drive with the windows down and roof open and when i drive down the parkway or something at like 70, if its not loud, you realy cant here it that well.....just generaly not happy with the fact that i have to bring it back for something that should have been done in the first place....i wil have them adjust it and if it still is not up to my liking im just gonna make them pull everything and give me my money back....

Anyone in new jersey, dont bring your car to samm sound for audio work.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Went there this morning and the guy listened to it and said something about the amp sending to much power to the headunit and it needs to be adjusted....will be bringing it back on thur for the adjustment....he said that thats definitly why it was cuting out and they need to turn the volume level down on it or something to that effect and that when they do this the speakers would sound better but when i put it on full blast it wont be as loud....this is kinda defeating the pourpose of what i brought it there for though cause i always drive with the windows down and roof open and when i drive down the parkway or something at like 70, if its not loud, you realy cant here it that well.....just generaly not happy with the fact that i have to bring it back for something that should have been done in the first place....i wil have them adjust it and if it still is not up to my liking im just gonna make them pull everything and give me my money back....

Anyone in new jersey, dont bring your car to samm sound for audio work.
If that is the case, which is sure doesn't sound like a solution to me, you're telling me they couldn't adjust your amp right then and there??? On top of that, the amp doesn't send power to the headunit - if the headunit is a high voltage preout, then I can see the amp needing to be adjusted accordingly. Do you have time to swing down to Woodbridge and I'll check it for you and if it's something I can adjust I will surely do so
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
you're telling me they couldn't adjust your amp right then and there??? On top of that, the amp doesn't send power to the headunit - if the headunit is a high voltage preout, then I can see the amp needing to be adjusted accordingly.
I was thinking the same thing. It does sound like there's a short of somesort, especially if the amp cuts out. Maybe they mean the head unit is sending too much power to the amp?

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
If they are running off the stock deck, it could be because Bose is 8 ohm and most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm.
the stock Bose speakers are 4 ohm just like aftermarket car speakers - the stock "sub" in the rear deck is 1 ohm though.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Certified Lurker

Originally Posted by StreetEffectz
If that is the case, which is sure doesn't sound like a solution to me, you're telling me they couldn't adjust your amp right then and there??? On top of that, the amp doesn't send power to the headunit - if the headunit is a high voltage preout, then I can see the amp needing to be adjusted accordingly. Do you have time to swing down to Woodbridge and I'll check it for you and if it's something I can adjust I will surely do so
Unfortunitly i dont have the time within the next 2 days to go down there, so im just gonna go back on thur and see what happens...im like realy stupid when it comes to this shit, he said the amp had to be adjusted so well see what happnes.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunitly i dont have the time within the next 2 days to go down there, so im just gonna go back on thur and see what happens...im like realy stupid when it comes to this shit, he said the amp had to be adjusted so well see what happnes.

That doesn't make any sense, I would ask them to quit bsing you and that the headunit does not send "power" to the "amp" nor does the amp send too much "power" back to the HU, come on, they are probabkly going to just adjust your volume strength, and amp strength basically put a defeat on your vol. on your HU so you can't make it sound like mad ass shit. that sucks that those alpines suck ass like that, sorry to hear your experience.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:41 PM
El Presidente

id take it straight to StreetEffectz and not deal w/their BS.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The good news is that it sounds a lot like an input gain adjustment thing.

But I have to say that Street Effectz would be my vote too... if you go and are disappointed with their second effort, then you'll be really bent.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely let us know what happens tomorrow, hopefully they can fix it quickly
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by elduderino
The good news is that it sounds a lot like an input gain adjustment thing.

But I have to say that Street Effectz would be my vote too... if you go and are disappointed with their second effort, then you'll be really bent.

i was thinking something along the same lines as the input gain adjustment. Aren't you able to tweak that yourself?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm a llama :(

Why would you turn the volume up full blast? I don't think my ears could handle that outside of the car at 50 feet away. And I don't think it's that strange for it to distort at that volume.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
the stock Bose speakers are 4 ohm just like aftermarket car speakers - the stock "sub" in the rear deck is 1 ohm though.
i think in the legend, if it had bose, they were 8 ohm speakers
i forget about the 1g, but i know the 2g had 8ohm

yea, it does sound like too much gain on the input to the amp, i had a similar problem w/ my ipod install, cause i left the volume all the way up........so that was an easy fix. but i'm still confused if it's a stock headunit/stock amp, or aftermarket, or what....
Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do u have any pictures of your setup
Old 02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Racer

Sounds like you shoulda spent a little more and got better speakers than type s.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think you guys should realize that this thread is at least 8 months old.