jl cleansweep, how come i am still able to use the stock volume knob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jl cleansweep, how come i am still able to use the stock volume knob?

i have the jl cleansweep installed, how come i am still able to use the stock volume knob? I thought you would have to use the one that the JL provides?? did they installed it incorrectly?

(btw, they didnt' install the knob that came with the cleansweep)

ssooooo wassup?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Instructor

yje cleansweep has its own volume control. what you did by using the stock volume button is screw up the de-equ'ing the cleansweep did. put your head unit volume control back to where you had it when you ran the cleansweep program. only at that volume will the cleansweep be doing its job. then use the volume control on the cleansweep. jps
Old 09-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Instructor

they didn't install the volume control anywhere in the front of the car....(did they mess up?)

also there is a hissing sound coming from the speakers......i dont know if that has to do wtih the jl cleansweep or not..
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The volume control is un-needed in TSXs, but is important I think for TLs. Aside from a gentle auto-loudness curve there is no dynamic EQing in a TSX, and no EQing at all, in fact.

But why ask US about what YOUR installer did? We don't know.

I'm guessing your installer put the CleanSweep on the speaker output of your amp.

Hissing is not inherent in the CleanSweep and is usually an install problem.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:50 PM
VP Electricity

OK, just saw on another thread you have a TL. My guess is that the installer grab bed the outputs of the OEM amp. I'm also guessing the gain settings are lousy.

So, to answer your earlier thread, you may have been ripped off in that you got poor work.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 PM
VP Electricity

You might want to go to the TL audio forum and read the posts from the VP of JL Audio about the CS going into that car.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
The volume control is un-needed in TSXs, but is important I think for TLs. Aside from a gentle auto-loudness curve there is no dynamic EQing in a TSX, and no EQing at all, in fact.

But why ask US about what YOUR installer did? We don't know.

I'm guessing your installer put the CleanSweep on the speaker output of your amp.

Hissing is not inherent in the CleanSweep and is usually an install problem.

i dont what i should do...i dont want to go into their shop attacking them like u dont know how to install the jl cleansweep...i dont want to be rude...

what should i say to my installer?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Instructor

You might want to go to the TL audio forum and read the posts from the VP of JL Audio about the CS going into that car.
hey on the cleansweep manuel

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/11196.pdf

on page 8. it says

Using the OEM head unit's volume control instead of the CL44Idsp Master volume control.

If desired, the OEM (factor) volume control can be used to control the master system volume as long as you accept the following compromises:

a) the factory volume control will not control the aux source volume. Only the CL44Idsp's Master volume control can control the aux level.

b) there may be noticeable increase in system noise (HISS)
they actually spell the word hiss too

^^ i think thats the problem? well not really a problem, just the option that they went?

you think this solves it if i use the CL44Idsp's Master volume control instead of my oem volume control?

also what is the aux source volume, what does that do? enlighten me por favor
Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by playboyace35
enlighten me por favor
Hey, I have a question... you paid $400+ for some pros to handle this for you - get what you paid for.

The JL CS does not disable the OEM HU volume control.

Your HU does not have a flat output - i.e., it does not send to the amp and speakers the exact signal on the CD. The HU changes the signal first.

If you are using new speakers, you should not use the OEM processing. Rarely sounds right once you get good speakers.

Changing the setting of the OEM volume control, on your particular car, also changes the HU sound processing. The processing at 25 on the HU volume is different than at 35. If the CleanSweep gets set up to reverse the processing at volume setting 25 on the HU, and you change the HU setting to 35, now the processing is not being completely reversed. It sounds different, and probably worse (since the entire system was tuned for the setup at 25.

So that's one reason the CS has an external volume knob.

The other reason is that many sources - DVD drives, Sat radio receivers, and the line out on the bottom of the iPod (you know, the output that actually sounds better) don't have their own volume controls - their output level is fixed and unchanging. If you want to connect them to the CS aux input, you need a way to control their volume.

Now I have a question (since I've been answering yours): Why didn't the guy who sold you the CS tell you this? Why didn't the shop that installed the CS tell you this? Why are you reduced to asking these questions (to which you should have known the answers before you bought any of this gear OR had it installed) on a public forum after the fact - HOPING that you can figure out which answers are correct and which answers are total crap? (Because I've seen many crap answers on audio on forums).

I'm asking these questions because I'm a retailer, and I would never sell OR install this gear for someone and allow this kind of situation... but I have a sneaking suspicion that I charge more than you paid.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Now I have a question (since I've been answering yours): Why didn't the guy who sold you the CS tell you this? Why didn't the shop that installed the CS tell you this? Why are you reduced to asking these questions (to which you should have known the answers before you bought any of this gear OR had it installed) on a public forum after the fact - HOPING that you can figure out which answers are correct and which answers are total crap? (Because I've seen many crap answers on audio on forums).
The guy who sold me the CS was a different guy who installed it. I should had went to him for him to install it for me. Sadly and stupidly i didn't.

The shop that installed the CS told me that the CS is a piece of overpriced junk...leading for me to believe that they dont know how to install it?....

I really appreciated you helping me btw.

question 1: Okay so in summary of what you are saying, once i tell them to use the external knob, all my problems should be fixed.

question 2: okay, um....i have another problem which i think is really related. My volume at high volume fluctuate...this is probably because of NOT using the external knob huh?

question 3/statement: I want to research all of this, so if they try to bs me, i can introduce all of this information to them. THEN if, they can't fix it, i want them to reinburse me money to have it fixed. ( i dont think they will bs me tho, because i am a close friend of his nephew, but who knows) Good idea?

i really regret not researching it before i brought it. LESSON LEARNED.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Instructor

okay update.

i called my installer, he told me he tried both ways (jl cleansweep volume knob and oem volume knob) and both ways had a hissing sound. He said he messed with it for 2 hours and couldn't figure it out, therefore he took out the external volume knob, and just let me use the oem volume knob.

Then i asked him about my fluctuating volume, he told me that most high end cars have a speed sound sensor installed....where if i drive faster, the volume will go higher... he told me i can go in to my setting and disable it....

I have never heard of something like this, does the tl have that?

I then asked him, if i had a defect on my cleansweep, and he told me doesn't know unless i have antoher cleansweep where he can test it with, unfortunately i dont know anyone else that has one.

All in all, he said i can take it in again, and he'll take a look at it....but im sensing that he wouldn't really reinburse me for antyhing even if he can't fix it....

ahhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Instructor

bump:
Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
VP Electricity

Have you gone to the TL specific audio forum and read all that data?

You could even PM the VP of JL and ask him this question - he wrote a lot of the CS posts over there.

I personally think it's an install issue, but I don't have a smoking gun, and I can't walk you through testing it, based on your levvel of expertise, so I'm not sure how to offer you value.

I rarely use the CS... but it is NOT overpriced junk. It's a source switcher, a 30-band digital EQ, an A/D converter, a D/A converter, and a line preamp. On TOP of that, it self-adjusts.

It should cost more than it does for what it does.

Now, there are a LOT of cars where it's not needed - including the previous gen of TLs without the 5.1, and the TSX. Not needed. Period.

But it's not crap.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Instructor

who is vp of jl?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
VP Electricity

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/good-excuses-118874/