iPod Options in 2005 TSX Non-Nav

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 PM
2007 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Options in 2005 TSX Non-Nav

I have been suffering without my iPod in my car since I bought the TSX (2005, non-nav) last July. It is hard to live without it after you're used to it! But I was waiting for the Music Link. Now that there is information about it, I'm trying to make a decision about how to install my iPod.

I've done a lot of research and read a ton of forum entries, but I still have questions about some of the possible solutions. I'm also hoping some of my research will help others out.

Here is the list of possible solutions I've come up with:

Blitzsafe HON/M-Link1 V.2 2003-2005 Honda-to-iPODŽ Interface
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/bli...ink1dmxv2.html - $79.95, shipping $7.95
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...K1_V2_NAV.html - $69.99, shipping $5.97

Pros:
allows you to use the iPod directly
easy to install
charges iPod
cheap compared to other solutions

Cons:
no stereo controls
must disconnect XM
possible issue: sometimes have to reset by powering off stereo
no text display on stereo

Questions:
Does it pause the iPod when you turn the car off?

Acura Music Link
~$189 for part, installation is more

Pros:
can use stereo controls to skip, etc.
pauses iPod when car is turned off or you switch to another input
charges iPod
XM is intact
track number/time displays on stereo

Cons:
iPod interface is disabled
no ID3 display on stereo
TTS requires install on your PC (iTunes plugin), creates 16 playlists, and is cumbersome to navigate
price after installations is steep

Soundgate SNHOND3
http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html - $99.95, $7.95 shipping

Pros:
easy to install
does not pause iPod when car is turned off

Cons:
no ID3 display on stereo
no stereo controls
must disconnect XM
does not charge iPod

Also need:
a RCA to mini cable

Questions:
Does an aux-in solution like this have worse sound quality than some of the other direct hookups like Blitzsafe, iceLink, etc?

Dension I20-HONDA-R3 ice>Link: Plus 2003-2005 Honda/Acura-to-iPodŽ Interface
http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info_hnd.htm - $199.00
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/densioni20hondar3.html - $199.95, $7.95 shipping
http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/sto..._HONDA_R3.html - $174.95, $5.97 shipping

Note:
has two modes: one allows you to use the iPod directly, the other is the iceLink interface

Pros:
can update firmware (this means possible future improvements)
charges iPod
track number/time displays on stereo

Cons:
font and UI in iceLink interface is so-so, can be slow
no text display on stereo
must disconnect XM

Questions:
Do you have to turn the iPod off and back on to switch modes (from iceLink menu to direct control of iPod)?
Can you control the iPod through the stereo when using the iPod UI directly?
Does anyone have the latest version (R3)? Has the UI improved? Most of the reviews I read were for earlier verisons.

Harman Kardon Drive + Play
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HdUu7C3...771&I=108DP1US - $199.99, $10.99 shipping
http://cartoys.com/cartoys/basket_new/purchase.cfm - $199.95, free shipping

Pros:
heads-up display that you can install where you want
controller mimics iPod functions and you can install where you want

Cons:
not a full solution, you still need a way to connect to the stereo
a lot of wiring to run and figure out where to stash it
if you power it using the 12V, it does not turn off when the car goes off (you can hardwire the power connection instead)

Also need:
Maybe the SNHOND3? I'm a little confused on how this works.

Questions:
Does it charge the iPod?
What mounting options are there for the controller and the display? Do they have to be on a flat surface? I can't figure out where I'd put them.

Neo Ion
http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdet...?productID=270 - $199.99, $9.28 shipping
http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

Notes:
I found the least information about this option - maybe because I looked it up last and I'm tired of reading or maybe because I can't search for neo ion in the forum.

Pros:
charges iPod
easy to install

Cons:
no ID3 display on stereo
I assume you need to disconnect XM?

Questions:
Is there any display on stereo (track number, time)?
Does it pause the iPod when the car is turned off?
I've seen some people say when they ordered from mp3yourcar.com they ended up with the iceLink... they are different things, right?

Conclusion

What's important to me?

I am not terribly concerned with maintaining XM.
If there's a super-easy way, of course I'll do it. But I'm not paying for it now and I'm not planning to soon.

I want to be able to see what is playing.
I have a lot of music and a lot of the time I don't know the song that comes on and I want to see what it is. Given that, it seems that unless I get the Harman Kardon unit, I'll have to have the iPod in view. That makes me lean towards the Harmon Kardon unit, but it's a lot of $$ and a lot more complicated. Suggestions/thoughts?

I like simple.
I don't like a lot of overhead. This rules out Music Link for me. Not only is it not worth the $$, if you use the TTS it has a ton of overhead and complications. I would like to know more about the Neo Ion. It is simple and does not take over the iPod's UI, but it allows you to use the stereo/steering wheel controls (which is not a requirement, but would be nice). iceLink seems to have the same ability if you run it in direct iPod mode. But if I'm going to do that, why not go with a simpler unit like the Neo Ion?

If you have any of these options and can answer my questions, discredit my observations, or add any additional suggestions/comments I would be very grateful!!

Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

After reading many messages, the best/simplest solution to me (also an '05, no nav) sounded like the AUX3 by Soundgate. This is just a switch, basically, and I found it for as low as $37! There is a long thread on this that is recent... Also, I have generic MP3 players, not an ipod, so a $200 unit probably would not do me any good. (Although, they sound really slick....) Given that this is just a raw input, it does not sound like the kind of thing you're looking for.

I do listen to XM, and with the AUX3, it sounds as if you can hack into the harness and just switch between XM and your other sources. Rather than ruin the factory wiring, you can get a replacement harness, and hack that instead (and therefore return to stock if necessary). So, add in another $41. If you don't pay for XM, there is probably a cheaper way around it.

Now, I'm just waiting for the parts to come in.

I also saw that there was some issue regarding noise and XM with some of the other solutions, where XM had to be switched out, so some sort of switch may be necessary with other solutions anyway. I'll have to refer you to the other threads, as I still am unclear of the exact way to hook these things up.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You ARE a wanker, aren't you? : )

You did all this work and never figured out that the stereo controls work on the Icelink?

I suspect given the value of your time you could just buy all of these and return the ones you don't like and save money over this review-comparison method. Reminds me of the historians in Asimov's Foundation books that studied history by comparing other people's history books instead of the primary evidence.

On another board someone said they ordered an Ion and got an Icelink with a sticker. Ion sells the Peripheral pieces too. They are just a relabeler.

The Icelink track number that appears on the stereo is random and totally useless to you in IDing the song, and I beleive there is NO time displayed. While some vehicle-model Icelinks display text (BMW, Toyota), Honda does not.

With the Acura Icelink, the stereo controls always can control the iPod, all you are turning off is the ability to use the scroll wheel. Changing this setting DOES require removal and re-insertion of the iPod, AND it's a total PITA that should never be done while driving because that part of the UI (the Icelink settings menu) on Hondas really sucks to use, but there's no need to after you initially turn it on. Aside from that I like it and we use them a lot here at my shop.

NO ONE but the dealer has a plug and play aux in solution that I've heard of that retains XM without messing up the SQ. If the SNHOND3 does NOT have this problem, that's great, but I thought it did.

Howevver, to add many of these and retain XM, you need a $40 Honda cable mentioned on these pages. I don't remember the PN of the top.

The way you can fix the SQ issue is wire in relays that disconnect the aux device when XM is in use. If you don't care, don't do it, but other than that you can add any of these if you get that cable.

The easy analysis of what you say is get the drive and Play and the SNHOND and see if it does what you want.

When you have a list of specs like this, don't expect it to be cheap...
Old 01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
2007 TSX

Originally Posted by elduderino

You did all this work and never figured out that the stereo controls work on the Icelink?
I know the stereo controls work with the iceLink... maybe I didn't phrase my question right. I know you can use the iceLink in two modes - with the regular iPod UI or with the iceLink menu. I was trying to figure out if the stereo controls work the same way either way. Are the playlist options still available, etc.? I read something once upon a time that suggested the stereo controls no longer work when you switch to the iPod UI instead of using the iceLink menu. Maybe I just misunderstood it.

I suspect given the value of your time you could just buy all of these and return the ones you don't like and save money over this review-comparison method.
Yeah, I guess you're right... I just don't have much experience installing things and I don't want to do it more than once. I just thought it would be nice to get some suggestions from others before I bought something and got something I didn't expect.

On another board someone said they ordered an Ion and got an Icelink with a sticker. Ion sells the Peripheral pieces too. They are just a relabeler.
That's sort of the impression I got at first too. But if you look at http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html it shows the Neo Ion and it looks different than the iceLink physically. Plus they make no mention of the playlist stereo control options, etc. So I'm just confused.

... And I really am not that worried about XM. Maybe I'll just order the Neo Ion and if it turns out to be the iceLink, so be it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM
ABP 6MT

What about the USA Spec option?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for listing so many options. I checked with one dealer on ebay called Integration Solutions but they said the USA Spec one is not compatible with the 07' TSX. I am really looking into this ipod integration solution and the Harman cardon one is really worth buying now. ($99.99) on Crutchfield. But it's not a clean installation. I'd appreciate if any of you can recommend a good solution to buy. All I want is control the ipod on the steering wheel, stock head unit, charge the ipod and perhaps display song texts. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USA SPEC PA11-HON2Y is compatible with all years / types of TSX. give it a search!

It just didn't exist when the original poster made this otherwise very good list.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by superJess

Does it pause the iPod when you turn the car off?[/COLOR]
I just installed the Dension icelink in my car and I'm assuming that it works similar to it because anything with a proprietary ipod cable should be the same. Yes it pauses when you turn the car off. As far as the ipod turning off, they all have the automatic cut off time if the ipods sitting there paused for a while. It's probably about a minute or so.

My question is....what happens after you get to track 99 in one of your ipod playlists. The unit only displays 99 tracks as the max and I didn't have time to put more songs in any of the playlists yet. Does it just go to 00 and keep playing the next song or 99 is the max?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ghyun82
I just installed the Dension icelink in my car and I'm assuming that it works similar to it because anything with a proprietary ipod cable should be the same. Yes it pauses when you turn the car off. As far as the ipod turning off, they all have the automatic cut off time if the ipods sitting there paused for a while. It's probably about a minute or so.

My question is....what happens after you get to track 99 in one of your ipod playlists. The unit only displays 99 tracks as the max and I didn't have time to put more songs in any of the playlists yet. Does it just go to 00 and keep playing the next song or 99 is the max?
nevermind...yes it does i found the answer
Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

i have the usa_spec controller. i love it. usaspec.com

however i too want to see what it is that's playing. that search led me to the monster icruze. it's got an optional external display that shows artist and song titled from the id3 tag, but it doesn't show any kind of navigation like the harmon kardon does. but the screen looks nicer

i wish i could just add the monster screen to my usa_spec interface. anyone know of a way to add an external screen to the usa_spec?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM
zel
9th Gear

Ipod integration

We tried the Dice kit on a couple of Acuras, 2005 TSX and 2007 TL to be exact, shows text as long as you are willing to give up you XM, if you don't you can't have text.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zel, I appreciate the effort, but stop bumping old threads just to add info you've already posted. I would like to hear from other users who have installed this unit tho.