installed SNHOND3 for nomad jukebox mp3

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004 | 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

installed SNHOND3 for nomad jukebox mp3

hey. ive been usin the shond3 for a while now. i really like it. only problem is that i listen to all the music at 40 volume, i could use louder too, but i was warned of this first.

I chose to string the wire out the passenger side near the shifter. i bundled the wires up for exact length ( left the ground loop isolator inside the compartments, so it is hidden). i have the plug going into my big ass mp3. tongiht i just got in my nomad car adapter, since regular car adapters werent working. for now i am using the front jack for power, i ppushed all the wires into the back of the larger storage bin. so i have about a foot of wire from each power and the sound source going into my player. then the player fits into the large compartment when im not changing music. and it pulls out long enough for the passenger to change music.

tomorrow when its light out, me and pops are going out to redo my setup. hes an electronics whiz and is not satisfied with my wire bundles and taping job

over all impressions: sound needs to be louder, and even with the ground loop isolator you can hear a faint electronic buzz, a high pitched note. if the wires are not connected and its in CD-C mode, you can hear the buzz clearer, and it is directly related to the alternator speed. you can tell when you rev the engine up the noise gets some more volume. its good when musics playing tho..
i really like having 1000 songs, old rap, new rap, friends rap, friends rock, old rock, and some wierd shit. all in seperate playlists, but i enable them all and leave it on shuffle.
quite entertaining

TSX Cman.
ill try to post pics when its tidy.
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:27 AM
VP Electricity

Here's a couple of suggestions for when you get back into it:

Try moving the wires and the GLI away from the Airbag ECU (the one under the radio with the yellow harnesses coming out of it). This helped in a couple cases.

Also try installing an inline power filter on the power wire for the 12V jack you are using for power - we know that has helped some other folks.

Let us know if any of that helps.
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:43 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Does your MP3 player have a proper line-out and are you using it? Or are you using the headphone-out? headphone jack is controlled by the amp in the mp3 player and will be low volume (you'll need to crank the volume up on the mp3 player itself); line-out should be plenty loud. I have a Rio Karma and use the line-out on the dock and its loud enough
Old 09-21-2004 | 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

i have 2 line outs, both the same. and headphone jack
headphone is worse quality for sound but you just turn the volume up on the player to equl it. line out is simpler.
i bought a poewr source specifically for this. and the GLI should be cutting out that noise. but it still exists.
and i still listen to music cranked fully

the GLI is right next to the SN hond3 in the compartment righ now
Old 09-21-2004 | 01:29 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by TSX Cman
... and the GLI should be cutting out that noise. but it still exists.
and i still listen to music cranked fully
Hmm. I don't think noise is ever that simple... and noise that comes in the power wire can NEVER be removed by a GLI... Ground loops are different from power-input noise.
Old 09-21-2004 | 06:23 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Just as Elduderino is saying, move the GLI.

My first GLI was the radio shack one, and that one is not very good. Go to a Circuit City and buy one of the ones they have there.

I have my GLI behind the storage compartment, but really low to the left. I found that when it is there I only hear ground noise at 38-40 on the stock HU. I never have to put my volume up that high though.

To help find out the best placement of the GLI. Just leave your radio on. Put it on CD-C, leave the MP3 player off or disconnected, and move the GLI around. You should hear the ground noise come and go. This will help you find the best location for it.

Ground noise sucks, so good luck!
Old 09-22-2004 | 02:02 AM
Burning Brakes

so... that heavy part on the GLI will chagne the noise when moved away from interfereing object
i thought cuz it was encased it would not matter.
ill try it
Old 09-22-2004 | 11:01 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by fdl
I have a Rio Karma and use the line-out on the dock and its loud enough
I have the Karma also (love it). How do you mount the dock in your car?
Old 09-29-2004 | 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

here is a pic of my setup. the radar is a peice of crap taht im replacing. i have a power for my mp3 behind the player, it will be plugged in instead of the radar. it gets wired into the right side of the center console. i have it pretty messily setup for now. but heres an idea.