Icelink or Blitzsafe, IPOD install for CL-S w/ Navi

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icelink or Blitzsafe, IPOD install for CL-S w/ Navi

Hi,

I've been researching for the last week or so on here.
I have a '01 CL-S with the stock bose headunit and stock navi. The CD player has been broken for the last month or so with the evil "ER-E1" msg. I am not looking to change to a completely different unit, I would like to integrate an IPOD into the unit, since I only listen to burnt CDs anyway.

I see two options, a "Blitzsafe" adapter, and a "Ice-link" from my research on here. Here are my questions.

1. I contacted Dension, who sent me to a company in Canada, that sent me to another company in Canada for end users, called Mass, www.mass.ca I spoke with someone there about the Ice-link. They said the Ice-link 100 is the model that would most likely work with the CL-S but he did not have it listed in his book, and could not confirm the compatibility. I also posted a discussion post several days ago on the CL-S forum, and I recieved a response saying basically "good luck" that the Ice-link is problematic in the CL, have to take IPOD out of dock to manually change tracks, and steering wheel controls work about 5% of the time. Is this true? Is it not True? Is it only with older versions of the ice link? If its fixed, is the Icelink 100 the model I want? Where and what exactly do I want to purchase, the gentleman I talked to at Mass, was not sure if it was a "round plug, large square, or small sq" connection on the back of the head unit, that it varied in years of the acura, and would have to know which hareness is needed?
2. If 1 is true, and icelink doesn't work, even though so bunch of posts on here about it. Then I guess the blitzsafe is better, since the advantages of the steering wheel controls from the ice link do not work. Where and what do you purchase to go this route.

If the Icelink does work, I do not mind spending alittle extra to get the steering wheel controls and the nice dock.
I saw in a post on here called "icelink vs. blitzsafe":
cite: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/icelink-vs-blitzsafe-299890/
That the icelink uses the blitzsafe? whats that all about do I still have to purchase the blitzsafe, or does the icelink with this harness (not sure round or square) all I need?

Sorry for all the questions jumbled in there, if someone can help me out, it would be appreciated.

-Mike
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Blitzsafe interface for my 03 CL-S with 6 disc in dash receiver so I could use my satellite radio without the FM modulator. It's the basic $50 model that only has an audio input but I finally get to hear more fidelity. It was purchased through ebay- just do a search of Acura Cl mp3. There are folks that sell them on Amazon too. You could just buy that and then a separate auto dock to run the IPOD with 12V car power.

Last edited by jdavidm; 10-21-2008 at 10:01 PM.