HT in the Car - Home Theater comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HT in the Car - Home Theater comparisons

Thought you audio buffs would be interested in this article in the August issue of Home Theater. They reviewed these auto sound systems: Boston Acoustics and the Chrysler 300C, Mark Levinson and the Lexus GS 430, Bose and the Acura RL, and the TL with the Panasonic ELS. Each of these systems have their own highlights and the reviewer did not favor one over another. Remember, this is an audio system review, and not about the car itself.

HT in the Car by Geoffrey Morrison
Panasonic and the Acura TL

This being the only car in the group with a manual transmission, I was most looking forward to a few days behind the wheel. It was perhaps this anticipation that led to the car being such a letdown. The TL’s 270 hp is all but unusable, as it only drives the front wheels. Bummer. Also the clutch has about a foot of travel that does nothing and then everything in the last inch. I never stalled the car, but I sure looked like (more) a fool at stoplights. That’s too bad, as the shifter is one of the smoothest I’ve ever used. The TL’s audio system, though, didn’t disappoint. Built by Panasonic, it was one of the first car systems to have DVD-Audio capability. It has a wide soundfield with excellent surround performance and is fairly duffuse (as compared with the directionality of the Bose system). The bass extension isn’t too terribly deep, but it is tight and well controlled. The Boston system has a slightly better midrange, but it was really close to the other systems. In all honesty, though, this is what all car stereos should sound like. It may not have the meaty punch of the Boston system or the incredible fidelity of the Levinson, but it just sounds good. It only draws attention to itself in that it just sounds like a decent home theater system – nothing flashy, just good all around sound. A colleague who has also tested this car said he would consider buying the TL just for this audio system. I’m too much of a driver to make that claim, but trust me: All commuters want a system like this in their cars. Regardless of how it is set up, or what you play on it, the Panasonic system just returns great music.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Remember, this is an audio system review, and not about the car itself.
This being the only car in the group with a manual transmission, I was most looking forward to a few days behind the wheel. It was perhaps this anticipation that led to the car being such a letdown. The TL’s 270 hp is all but unusable, as it only drives the front wheels. Bummer. Also the clutch has about a foot of travel that does nothing and then everything in the last inch. I never stalled the car, but I sure looked like (more) a fool at stoplights. That’s too bad, as the shifter is one of the smoothest I’ve ever used.

Ya sure....right...whatever. This must be your sadistic way of saying that the new Acura's suck!

JK Well at least they thought the sound system was decent. I would rather have a good ride & add my own audio system in after I bought it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

optomos, the whole article was a good read. On the Acuras, the sound system is part of the package whereas it's an option for Lexus ($6,349) and Chrysler ($635). I like the way our system sounds especially when playing DVD-A or DTS discs. As far as power, it's sufficient mainly because I don't listen "loud", especially with the windows up. It suits me for what I listen to.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like about these systems is the DVD/DTS ability. I cant wait for this to be mainstream where it encompases the whole aspect of the car audio system. I have DTS disks of "the police","metallica black" & others that I play at home and the music is superb.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

I couldn't agree with you more. I hope it becomes more mainstream and the availablity of recordings increase. In the meanwhile, I can enjoy them both at home and in the car. BTW, if you like guitar music, you should take a listen to Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir" available through
AIX Records. A little pricier than most, but well worth it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Isn't this one of those magazines that never says anything bad in ANY review? Especially about an advertiser? (ESPECIALLY a carmaker advertiser?)

That's the old Stereo Review's reputation... now Sound and Vision. They never met a product they didn't like...

As far as DTS and Dolby multichannel music recordings go, I haven't heard a recording yet (other than live, which is a different matter) where the engineer used it to create in image... always seemed more like an effect to me.

I'm disappointed at the fact that if a stereo says DTS or Dolby, it's a brand that makes the stereo "better" - but the speakers still suck and the amp still sucks. They are probably a LITTLE better because Dolby has some say over how cheap they can get and still use their name... but they could use better speakers and amps and not license Dolby and have far, far better 2-channel sound.

Like the Volvo 5.1 systems. Set one to 2-channel stereo and listen to it - especially with the 10" in the back. THe speaks are Dynaudios! The system totally kicks ass because the speakers are great, and powered well, but people will think it's the "5.1"

Argh : )