Hookin Up My Car's Sounds... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 06:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hookin Up My Car's Sounds... HELP!

Okay I want to make my Type S sound good, so anyway I want the same setup I had in my eclipse gsx but without the additional speaker replacement. I had the 5440 PPI amp as well as a 12" JL. I called Al and Ed's (they are a stereo place in diego, don't know if their nation wide). Anyway the guy says he might be able to do it, but maybe not cuz it's Bose and I might have to replace my head unit which I will not do cause I have a NAV and dont wanna spend the bucks, he also said he wouldn't be able to do it if I had 1 ohm speakers. My question for install and parts he wants to charge me $700-$800. Is this a good deal? Also is the setup I want possible without chaning the head unit. Finally I want the PPI 5440 which is a 5 channel amp to power both the sub and speakers, is this possible. Please feel free to email me at gsxtasyd@netscape.net. Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:13 AM
Racer

The sub is easy to do without changing anything in your current factory sterio. You will not be able to use an aftermarket amp to power the bose speakers though as they do have a very low resistance 2 ohms (i think).
Old 08-12-2001, 03:20 AM
Instructor

This is the third time within two days that someone has started a new thread dealing with this subject. Don't you guyz know how to use the SEARCH feature of this forum? You'll find that most of your questions regarding your Blowz woes have already been answered. Do EricL and those other audio gurus a favor and do a little homework first, eh?
Old 08-12-2001, 03:06 PM
10th Gear

the thing is I don't understand all the terms you guys use for audio stuff, and a lot of what a read and hear contradicts what i've heard before so I just need a straight answer can i run the stock speakers with a new amp despite having navi and not changing the head unit? If you feel there is a clear cut answer to this question that can be understood by someone who is not audio literate please point me to the thread. Thank You.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:32 PM
Racer

Originally posted by gsxtasyd:
<STRONG>the thing is I don't understand all the terms you guys use for audio stuff, and a lot of what a read and hear contradicts what i've heard before so I just need a straight answer can i run the stock speakers with a new amp despite having navi and not changing the head unit? If you feel there is a clear cut answer to this question that can be understood by someone who is not audio literate please point me to the thread. Thank You.</STRONG>
dont worry about it bro.. everybody is always like use the search which i agree with to a point, but if people like you didnt post questions...
we would have absolutly nothing to talk about and that would be bad So ask away and give me something to do
Old 08-12-2001, 03:53 PM
10th Gear

thanks larry, btw I love what you've done to your car. Thanks to the response from technoid I've searched and reread many posts on this topic. Yet I still do not have an understanding of if its possible. It seems that people have done it what I'm just wondering about how since some place I've went to say it can't be done. Do you take the signal before the amp, after the amp or at? It seems everyone has a different opinion. If someone just tell me what I need to do including parts to hook up the ppi amp to a sub and the stock speakers I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:17 PM
Instructor

gsxtasyd, Get rid of the Blowz speakers AND the Blowz amp, but KEEP your factory (Alpine) head unit and the NAVI functionality. In simple layman's terms, getting rid of ALL of the Blowz components will sound MUCH mo' beddah, believe me!

Here's a good, non-techie thread (click on it):
technoid sez, "Lose your BLOWZ amp & keep your factory head unit.", paying close attention to my postings, which are NOT techno-speak.

As to whether or not you're getting a good deal, I'd like to know what aftermarket speakers your installer is going to use. There's a huge variance in quality and consequently price. It's easy to drop $800 just on replacement speakers (and that doesn't include the labor to install them).

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: technoid ]
Old 08-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Racer

To set up the sub and only the sub just get a line level converter and put it on one of your rear speakers.

This then gives you 2 rca's you can then plug in your amp.

Get power from the battery for the amp and a ground from the trunk

And thats it .. no special converts besides the line level converter.

If you want to change speakers that much more complicated
Old 08-14-2001, 04:06 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by technoid:
[QB]gsxtasyd, Get rid of the Blowz speakers AND the Blowz amp, but KEEP your factory (Alpine) head unit and the NAVI

It's actually made by PIONEER. Everybody thinks its Alpine because thats all Honda used before.

gsxtasyd,
Check out Thunderworks in Santee. Don will do it for you. He used to be an installer at Mobilworks which turned into Al & smoes.
Tell him AJ sent you.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:27 AM
Instructor

You're a professional car stereo systems installer, right? You do this for a living, right? And you say Myer-Emco techie guys don't know what they're talking about, right? And that the head unit is a Pioneer and NOT an Alpine? Why would Honda (Acura) want to cheap out on our CL-S by using Pioneer? Just because they cheaped out with our brakes and rotors and shocks and springs and sways and headers and tires and rims and...?

Get some real proof...
Old 08-16-2001, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Call me e-mail me
Old 08-18-2001, 05:35 AM
Instructor

Technoid- first off... your an asshole man, chill the hell out!! This is a discussion forum, meant to discuss things... not to start fights and get all pissed off at eachother, chill out or get out, simple. And also, Honda/Acura have always used Panasonic, and they still do for their decks. They are made by Matsushita, the real name for the Panasonic/Technics company.

Gsxtasyd- If the amp, the PPI 5440, has speaker level inputs on it, use the sound from the stock CD player into those, if not use 2 line level converters in the same fashion, with the deck signal. Then you will have to change out the speakers in the car, they will not handle the power from an aftermarket amp, the impedance wouldnt matter but it would be too much power. Get the Boston FX series coaxials for the rear and some Rally components in the front, then you'll save some money and still get excelent sound. Or if you have another brand you prefer, I just believe that would give you your best sound for the money.
Old 08-18-2001, 04:26 PM
Instructor

1997Acura30CL (doh!)

"your an ass-hole"? No, it's "you're an ass-hole!" Learn some grammar. So now you're saying it's a Panasonic (Matsushita), and the other guy says Pioneer, and the guys at the car stereo shop say Alpine, and, oh yeah, one guy still believes it was a Blowz head unit. So who we gonna believe?

BTW, you're driving a 3.0 CL--not a Type S. Are you sure that you're talking about the same head unit? Is there someone we can contact at Acura that can definitely settle this question once and for all?
Old 08-20-2001, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Take the head unit out and look at it DICK! easy way to learn! And dont complain about my fuckin grammar... i'll talk how ever the hell I want.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:17 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>You're a professional car stereo systems installer, right? You do this for a living, right? And you say Myer-Emco techie guys don't know what they're talking about, right? And that the head unit is a Pioneer and NOT an Alpine? Why would Honda (Acura) want to cheap out on our CL-S by using Pioneer? Just because they cheaped out with our brakes and rotors and shocks and springs and sways and headers and tires and rims and...?

Get some real proof...</STRONG>
yup. get some real proof that the HU is Alpine

Since I havent had the time to take apart my HU so I'll rest my case for now. Just wait 'till I get my proof. I'm not taking any side. Just being curious, however, I'll love to prove you wrong since others stated their opinion without getting touchy as you did. And you got your info from someguy (being professional installer doesn't mean he knows everything).
My apology to the owner of this post. I just don't feel right about the way this guy responded to others' opinions so I have to get off topic.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:13 PM
Instructor

SilverKnight, 1997Acura30CL, gsxtasyd, CRAZEDLUNI, ...

You guyz made your points perfectly clear. I'm sorry about the flames. It seems that somewhere along the line, I somehow copped the same attitude as a couple of snobby car stereo installers to whom I paid a whole lotta $$$$ to do my upgrades.

I APOLOGIZE to everyone for acting like an ass-hole about this Head Unit issue..
Old 08-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by technoid:
<STRONG>SilverKnight, 1997Acura30CL, gsxtasyd, CRAZEDLUNI, ...

You guyz made your points perfectly clear. I'm sorry about the flames. It seems that somewhere along the line, I somehow copped the same attitude as a couple of snobby car stereo installers to whom I paid a whole lotta $$$$ to do my upgrades.

I APOLOGIZE to everyone for acting like an ass-hole about this Head Unit issue.. </STRONG>
I read this message like 50 times trying to find the hidden mocking meanings but couldn't find any. All I saw is a sincered apology. It cannot be. It's too easy. I'm really surprised. If you really meant it, then no problem, we just got offended by the way you expressed your opinions. If you understand the problem, we cannot be happier. Anyway, thanks for what you did, bro.