Notices

MDX: Help with Voice Commands

Old 01-31-2019, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Help with Voice Commands

Hello. I bought my 2008 MDX about 10 days ago and I'm having the most basic problems.
My current problem is that I cannot get the Nav system to recognize anything I say.
I read about the NAVI TALK & NAVI BACK buttons. I press the NAVI TALK button and I hear the beep. Then I speak slowly in a normal voice. But no matter what I say, it asks me to please repeat or some other phrase that means the same thing.

I went into the SETUP screen and adjusted the VOLUME setting. It was previously set to ZERO so I was very happy when I saw that and changed it to a medium value. But that didn't make any difference. It still won't recognize any of my voice commands.

I displayed the Climate Control screen and tried to change the temp by saying "TEMPERATURE TWENTY-EIGHT" or something similar. All I ever hear is "PLEASE REPEAT".

Would anyone have any ideas what I can do to get the NAV SYSTEM to recognize my commands?

BTW, I searched this site looking for an existing thread. I searched for "voice command" and "problem voice" and "problem voice command" and several other things. But I couldn't find any existing thread. So I started a new one.

Any help for me? I seem to encounter the most basic sort of problems.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:31 AM
Registered Member

BTW, I read the microphone is located somewhere near the rear view mirror. I couldn't see anything that looked like a mic (although I never expected to see anything). Instead, I saw 3 indicator lights on the rear view mirror. They seemed to be labelled either 1, 2, 3 or with one dot, two dots or three dots. I don't exactly remember.
I thought they were related to Bluetooth and my phone. Any chance they could have anything to do with my problems?
I sure do wish I knew how to edit an existing post. Does anyone know? I'm guessing it is something so simple that only a rank beginner wouldn't know.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

'?"!
The following post is not directly related to my problem. So please skip it if you like. It just contains my ranting about the way the Owner's Manual is written. I really dont like it. I suggest you skip this post if it doesn't interest you.

I read about the HomeLink buttons under the rear view mirror. On page 276 of my Owner's Manual it tells me: The HomeLink Universal Transceiver can be programmed to operate up to three remote controlled devices around your home ... (like a garage door opener).
Then they go into a very long discussion about "Training" Homelink. I wonder if that is similar to "Pairing" a Bluetooth device. They talk about "Training with a Rolling Code System". That is a new one for me. I never heard of that before.
Next, they talk about Bluetooth HandsFreeLink (HFL) to link my cell phone to my vehicle.
I have one big gripe with all of this. They never show a picture of where these things or what they look like. So I'm stumped as to which indicators are which. Very confusing. But at least they tell me the Microphone is located on the ceiling between the front map lights and the console buttons. Once again, why no picture? I have no idea what these things are or what they look like.

Please excuse me for raving about this. But not showing any pictures makes all of this so very difficult for a "first-timer" to understand. By "first-timer" I mean this is the first vehicle I ever bought with a NAVI system or VOICE controls. Next they discuss the HFL volume and the NAV system volume. I wonder if those two volumes are interfering with each other somehow and could be the cause of my problem? Sometimes, I just get so exasperated with the way this Owner's Manual is written.