Help: Speakers out?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Speakers out?!

heres the deal. i had my rockford 400.4 amp installed by bestbuy (regret) to run my 4 speakers inside. Now i got a DVC so i am running the amp on 2 channel mode. the sub is fine. but the speakers, after i unplugged the amp from the speakers, don't work now. I have a 1996 2.5 Acura TL. Everything is plugged in right (that I know of) at the terminals and such. I just don't know if the wiring is cut anywhere along the line or something like that. My question to you guys is...what would you think is wrong (would install guys cut any speaker wires or anything like that to install a amp to run the 4 speakers)? If not, what could i do to troubleshoot and figure out what is wrong?

the harness is plugged, the radio (Alpine 7873) is operational, the only rca out is pluggd in the SubW-Out. that's it.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

that 400.4 was powering ur 4 speakers, now u have disconnected them from that amp, you need an amp. or if your alpine has speaker level outputs, hook it up to the 4 speakers. either way, i would say you will have to pay someone to do it for you.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:15 AM
Banned

jz983:
Yeah it's kind of a weird question. Okay so you have a 400.4, with I assume each channel running to a speaker. That's fine. So then you got a DVC and you're running the amp in 4->2 bridged mode. And now all your speakers don't work? Hmm. Okay, I hope I understand this right. Well first thing I see is that you won't want to run the amp in 4->2 (2 channel) mode...you'll want to run it in 4->3 mode. Why? Well I assume you want that mp to power what it can...and a 400.4 can run in 4->3 or 4->2 mode. And since you're not going to hook up separate channels of the 2 channel to the DVC (you CAN but I would suggest against it), then you have one unused channel. So instead you'll want to run 4->3, run the bridged channel to your sub, run the other two to the speakers. The problem here is that there's no way you can power all four speakers and your sub with just one amp. So you'll need either a 5 channel amp or two amps, or three. If I didn't understand the problem correctly let me know.

Austin519
Old 01-31-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro

BEAR WITH ME HERE
ok. this is what I wrote to a guy:

My problem is this:

- my car: 1996 Acura 2.5 TL (no Bose Premium Sound / no factory amp)
- I bought a Alpine 7873 deck from Tweeter a long while back. I had them install it.
- I then bought speakers, the front are the Boston Acoustics FX5 coaxials and the rear are Alpine SPS-6939S coaxials. I installed this myself. The front I just took off the door panel and screwed them in. I also screwed the rears in. Easy install, no problem.
- Next I bought a Rockford Fosgate 400.4 amp from BestBuy, and I had them install it (a mistake*). I don't know exactly what they did because they don't really tell you. But, as I look at it from the outside I see that they ran 2 RCAs out of the deck (3 preouts, 2 for speakers, 1 is the SubW-Out) I told them to run all four speakers (in 4 channel mode) On the amp, the power wires that go to the speakers are like this: For the rear speakers, the power wires were directly connected to the speaker terminals. The OEM rear speaker wires were unplugged and connected to the power wires (from the amp) that are supposed to go to the front speakers. First of all, is this normal practice, because I feel that BestBuy did a crappy/sloppy/half-ass job? Anyway...
- Now, I have purchased a Pioneer DVC sub (TS-W304DVC). and unplugged everything and change things to install the sub.

This is what I did: I unplugged everything from the amp. I unplugged both the RCAs on the deck and just put one of them on the SubW-Out, which is what I am supposed to do. (I checked the deck just to see if everything else is plugged in, and by that I mean, the harness basically, and it was. But I don't know if there is a switch, or something that you change, on the deck that tells it to route data to the amp via RCAs or through the factory harness to the speakers, do you know what I am saying?) For decks in general, all that is plugged into the deck is the factory harness right? No other wires are needed? Everything is in the harness right?
Next I tweaked the amp so that it is in 2-channel mode and such. Ok. No problem. At this time the rear speakers are still unplugged. Now I cut/strip/crimp the OEM rear speaker wires to connect them back onto the rear speakers. I plug in the sub and fire it up. It works fine. Basically, the amp is running the sub, and the speakers are supposedly connected right, the look like what they were before, from the factory. I can see the rear spearker terminals from the trunk. I have to take the door panels off to seek the terminals on the front speakers, which I haven't done yet. Now, I thought I was done. But its not done. When I turn on the car, the sub works fine, but all the speakers don't play. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG!?!!
I don't believe that BestBuy actually CUT any of the factory wires or anything like that to install a amp that runs the speakers right? This is where I am stumped. Everything seems right, but they speakers just don't work. All I get in my car now is just bass, which is fun, but no good.

Do you understand my story? Can you tell me what is wrong, or what I can do to fix it, like what the troubleshooting process would be in this scenario? How do I go about finding out what the problem is and fixing it?

I apologize for the long story
Old 02-01-2002, 01:28 AM
Banned

jz983:
Your story is still really confusing...and I don't think most of your terminology is right...but before I delve into it...just a suggestion, go back to Best Buy and get them to fix it. If they won't, at LEAST get them to tell you what they did, they won't not tell you.

"Next I bought a Rockford Fosgate 400.4 amp from BestBuy, and I had them install it (a mistake*). I don't know exactly what they did because they don't really tell you. But, as I look at it from the outside I see that they ran 2 RCAs out of the deck (3 preouts, 2 for speakers, 1 is the SubW-Out)"

So far so good...they're running 5 channels (stereo front, stereo rear, sub out) out of the deck. That's good.

"I told them to run all four speakers (in 4 channel mode) On the amp, the power wires that go to the speakers are like this: For the rear speakers, the power wires were directly connected to the speaker terminals. The OEM rear speaker wires were unplugged and connected to the power wires (from the amp) that are supposed to go to the front speakers."

This is where your terminology messes me up. For me, power wires are POWER wires...wires that run from the battery + to the amp +, or ground, or whatnot. Power wires are NOT wires that carry the signal to and from the amp and speakers. So I assume you mean the speaker wires that go to the speakers. So the speaker wires were connected to the speaker terminals...that is good.

The OEM rear speaker wires were unplugged and connected to the SPEAKER wires that are supposed to go to the front speakers? What?? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

"First of all, is this normal practice, because I feel that BestBuy did a crappy/sloppy/half-ass job? Anyway... "

I need to understand better what you did first...but if they left the OEM wiring it sounds like they didn't take the time to replace the wiring, which may or may not matter.

"This is what I did: I unplugged everything from the amp. I unplugged both the RCAs on the deck and just put one of them on the SubW-Out, which is what I am supposed to do. (I checked the deck just to see if everything else is plugged in, and by that I mean, the harness basically, and it was. But I don't know if there is a switch, or something that you change, on the deck that tells it to route data to the amp via RCAs or through the factory harness to the speakers, do you know what I am saying?)"

No, I have no idea what you're saying actually. You unplugged all the RCAs on the deck. Ok, that's fine. The harness on the deck contains the low level outputs which you need to plug into your amp, I assume they ran wires to your amp and soldered RCA connections on the end to plug into your amp. That's fine too. There is not a switch on your deck, it should send a low level signal out anyway.

"For decks in general, all that is plugged into the deck is the factory harness right? No other wires are needed? Everything is in the harness right?"

Right.

"Next I tweaked the amp so that it is in 2-channel mode and such. Ok. No problem. At this time the rear speakers are still unplugged."

Ok so now you've unplugged the rear speakers from the amp? Why did you switch the amp to 4->2 mode? You have the front speakers still connected, and now you've changed the amp to 4->2 bridged mode...so you have part of each speaker plugged in...you shouldn't have any sound.

"Now I cut/strip/crimp the OEM rear speaker wires to connect them back onto the rear speakers. I plug in the sub and fire it up. It works fine. Basically, the amp is running the sub, and the speakers are supposedly connected right, the look like what they were before, from the factory. I can see the rear spearker terminals from the trunk. I have to take the door panels off to seek the terminals on the front speakers, which I haven't done yet. Now, I thought I was done."

Okay, so now you have connected the front wires to the front 2 channels of the sub, and the rear wires to the rear 2 channels of the sub...and the sub connected to...where?

"But its not done. When I turn on the car, the sub works fine, but all the speakers don't play. AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG!?!! I don't believe that BestBuy actually CUT any of the factory wires or anything like that to install a amp that runs the speakers right? This is where I am stumped. Everything seems right, but they speakers just don't work. All I get in my car now is just bass, which is fun, but no good."

I think I understand your story. Clarify your terminology if this doesn't help and we'll try again.

You have a lot of problems with your system...basically you're 1) trying to do the impossible and 2) wired it all wrong as a result.

You are running a 400.4, which is a 4 channel amp. You have two front speakers, two rear speakers, and a sub...that is 5 channels. How do you have 5 channels hooked up to a 4 channel amplifier? With a 400.4 you have three choices, only two of which you're going to care about. This is what I said before, so I will restate it.

A. You can run the amp in 4 channel mode, which you would do for it to power your front and rear speakers. That means you have one channel for the front left, one for the front right, one for the rear left, one for the rear right. So you hook it up as I'm sure it's labeled on the amp. And you plug in your front and rear RCA plugs, a total of 4. The subwoofer cannot be hooked up, because all 4 channels are being used.

B. You can run the amp in 4->3 channel mode, where you have 2 channels bridged into 1, with a total of three channels. You would use this setup to run your two front channels and your sub in the back.

C. You can run the amp in 4->2 channel mode, where you have 4 channels bridged into 2. This is what you would use to run two subwoofers or two high power front or rear speakers. This is also what you have "tweaked" your amp to be. For some reason, and I still can't fathom why you did...but you sound like you not only connected your front and rear speakers (4 channels) into an amp that you have switched to 2 channel mode, but you have also hooked up a sub to somehow create a 5th channel.
If you need to look at the manual again, you can find it here here.

You will have to actually explain how everything is wired to the amp terminals (the front four and rear four) for me to understand how you've actually wired this. Basically you have three parts. 1) the wiring from the headunit to the amp 2) the wiring at the amp to the speaker wires and 3) the wiring from the speaker wires to the speakers. If you have the wiring down from the headunit to the amp (not difficult...you just plug it in) and the speaker wire to the speaker (you just connect the wires to the terminals) then all you have to do is check the wiring at the amp output terminals...which I am pretty sure is what you have wrong anyway.

Also I would get my money back from Best Buy...they didn't explain anything to you, and didn't really do anything in terms of installing that I can tell.

Austin519
Old 02-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro

ok lets try this again thanks a lot for you input. but you have misunderstood me. I prolly didn't explain myself correctly. here is my goal. It is to run the 4 speakers off the deck and the sub off the amp. this is actually a non-technical question. don't read too into this

The amp itself is wired CORRECTLY, my terminology was wrong it probably messed you up. It is just running the sub off the front channels, like the manual says to do. All the wiring in the amp is CORRECT. it works (just running the sub). i am not doing anything like the 5/channel, 4channel thing.

The harness is plugged in right and all that. now, the speakers are supposed to work right? no, it doesn't. my question is, Why do the speakers not work? What could I check to fix this problem. They just don't play at all. however, the sub works fine. Could there be something wrong with the harness (doubt it though)? Should I just rip everything out and trace the wires? Will I have to do that?

thanks. hope you understand. I apologize for my terminology
Old 02-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jz983
Could there be something wrong with the harness (doubt it though)? Should I just rip everything out and trace the wires? Will I have to do that?

thanks. hope you understand. I apologize for my terminology
I don't think anybody here is going to know exactly how to fix your problem, so I think your going to have to trace it out yourself. First, I would check that all door speakers are connected to the stock speaker wires. If so, move to the HU and trace from the HU to your speakers to see if any wires have been cut. Do a continuity check between the speaker wires at HU to each door speaker to make it easier to trace. I would guess that Best Buy cut your speaker wires or the door speakers are not hooked up to the stock speaker wire in the doors. Good luck
Old 02-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Banned

jz983:
"ok lets try this again thanks a lot for you input. but you have misunderstood me. I prolly didn't explain myself correctly. here is my goal. It is to run the 4 speakers off the deck and the sub off the amp. this is actually a non-technical question. don't read too into this "

Yeah, now you make total sense. Hmm...see usually the headunit will ouput both low and high level. I don't know about your stock HU though. The best way is to contact the manufacturer and ask. It SOUNDS like it only does one or the other. If it does output both, then they may unhooked it. You definitely need to ask them what they did though, they should be able to tell you what. Obviously it's narrowed down to the wiring between the headunit and speakers, or a switch on the headunit itself.

Austin519
Old 02-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Pro

this is what I have.
Alpine 7873 HU
Boston Acoustics FX5
Alpine 6x9
Rockford Fosgate 400.4
Pioneer TS-W3041DVC

hope this helps.

so what your saying is that I should contact alpine? and/or contact BestBuy? ****. this is so f***ing frustrating.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:42 AM
Banned

jz983:
Dude this isn't all that difficult

This is what you need to do -
1) you didn't find out what they wired/cut/etc over at Best Buy...which was a bad move. So go call the guy up, say "Hey my speakers don't work the way I want them to". Then ask him what he did, and then either go take the car in and have them fix it, OR do it yourself. But the easiest way to find out what they changed is to ask the guy that did it.

2) if for some reason you don't do #1, then you have to go troubleshoot it yourself. That means checking out the headunit yourself. The best way to find out about your headunit is to call the maufacturer. Yes, you can take it out and look at it, but if you don't want to go to that trouble, and you haven't resolved this with #1, that is my best suggestion. Then you can find out what was changed by talking to the manufacturer and giving him the results. Your speakers were working fine before, and should now. Your amp also sounds as if it's running fine (you can hook the sub up to the rear channels or your speakers for that matter and test it. You can test the wire running to the speakers by wiring your speakers to the amp in 4 channel mode, that should tell you real quick if they're working. If you get through all that, then you know your speakers are fine, the wire between the speakers and the amp is fine, the wire between the amp and headunit is fine, and the connection to the headunit as well as the headunit itself is fine. Therefore, it must not be outputting high level output...fix that, and you're done.

And also...out of curosity...why do you have a 400.4, a 4 channel amp, than at most can bridge 4->2, and you're running one sub off of it? Why not a 400.2 or something?

Austin519
Old 02-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro

hey austin. thanks for you information. i checked out the harness and the wires were wrong. I have a acura wiring manual. for example: http://jz983.20m.com/htop.jpg
the Red/Green and Red/Yellow wires should be switched around.

now my question is, for the harness, how exactly do you take the wires out of the harness? cause i have been playing around with it for a while and just can't get the wires to come out! is there a special tool that i use? How? damn this is frustrating.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:37 AM
Banned

jz983:
Are you asking how you hook the wires into the sub to send the sub the bass signal? How did everything else work out? Get your speakers hooked back up properly?

Assuming you mean how to tap the bass signal...all you do is tap the wires before the amp...and for that you just get wire taps...little plastic things with two wire channels...you put the wire to tap in the first...and the wire that you're running the signal through in the other...close it and press a metal clip that slices through them both...thereby hooking them up. You don't want to destroy your harness or anything.

Let me know if I didn't answer what you're asking...

Austin519
Old 02-12-2002, 10:02 AM
Pro

thanks man. but that isn't what i was asking. i am asking simply, just how do you take the individual wires out of the factory radio harness. from that picture, the wires are in the wrong slots. i just need to put them in the right ones. this has nothing to do with the sub/amp/bass signal/etc. just simply the harness and how i get each wire out. do you kno what i am saying?

thanks man, you are a great help!
Old 02-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Banned

jz983:
The wires are in the wrong slots?!? That's a factory harness. Are you saying the factory messed it up? I'm not sure I understand. However, you can get a small phillips head screw driver...stick it in the other end...and pound away.

Austin519