Help on deciding what to upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on deciding what to upgrade??

OK, I have an '06 TSX, and I've been toying with the idea of speaker upgrades since the car was new, and just recently I've been noticing some real rattling, etc. from the speakers (can't really tell which). So, I think it's that time. I'm really not an audiophile, and don't have great needs or wants, so I'll give you a little bit of info, and hopefully the A-Zine experts can help me out a little bit.

This is my daily driver. I use it back and forth to work (5 mi. round trip), I use it for running errands, and family vacations. I usually listen to XM (although I'd rather have Sirius), the occassional CD, and on long trips, my I-Pod. I prefer a stock look, and, being a 40-year-old mother, I'm not going to be using this thing for show to blow people away with its amazing sound and power. That being said, I do greatly enjoy music. I listen to music all the time, and would like a slight upgrade from stock. Unless this is a VERY simply DIY, I would likely travel to the Boston/Worcester area to have an install done. I live in the sticks and wouldn't trust any of these local "shops" to do any more than change my wiper blade. I know audio upgrades aren't cheap, but I don't want to spend more than a $500 - $600 for parts & labor. Is that even a reasonable request???

I would like some recommendations on WHAT to replace and with which brands, and the name of an installer that will help guide me along in my choices without selling me all kind of stuff I don't need. As mentioned, I'd travel to anywhere in Mass. or CT for a good installer.

So, any help?

Last edited by t_in_maine; 01-31-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, forgot to mention... I have the Nav. unit in my car. And yes, before I get flamed to death... I did read the sticky, but being an audio-noob, a lot of those references don't really mean anything to me?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
You can find some good front components and have them installed as well as an amp. Then you just need to plug it in with my harness. Take a look here, https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/those-you-who-have-replaced-stock-speakers-377817/#post5659485

Most amps will also require a special adapter; I list amps that work without in most of my posts.

jeff
Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mercman
You can find some good front components and have them installed as well as an amp. Then you just need to plug it in with my harness. Take a look here, https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5659485

Most amps will also require a special adapter; I list amps that work without in most of my posts.

jeff
Yes, I read all through that thread, although most of it was greek to me. So, you suggest a wiring harness, an amp, and front speakers. Specific brands that are good, but not top of the line?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Amps that will work directly connected to the TSX radio are;
All the current JL Audio models
The Rockford fosgate Punch and Power Series (current models)
Kicker ZX-Multichanel amps (current models).

All other amps will require and interface adapter along with the harness. This will add another 75 to $100 to the price of the install. Even though I make and sell the special converters I recommend that you put the $100 towards a better amp from the list. If you have an amp or have another brand in mind then I can supply you with the adapter. If you go to a shop with my harness they will love you for it since they can just plug it right in. They will hate you because you won’t by the expensive interconnects. That will kill the profit margin.

jeff
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

So would you suggest that I purchase the items I need/want, then go to an installer with items in hand? Or find an installer that carries what I want, and buy everything in one stop?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Teresa,

Replacing the front door speakers, front dash tweeters, rear 6x9 speakers, and adding some sound deadening to the front doors during the install should give you quite a good improvement in sound and fit within your budget for materials and installation.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey t.

Just happened to stumble onto this thread again. Have you done your upgrades? What did you use, how did it go, and how does it sound?