got tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got tweeters?

I plan on adding a pair of tweeters onto the front doors to help improve high-end response. I know Streeteffect has used the Pioneer tweeters and mounted them very nicely into the door panel. I plan on doing the install myself. Is it hard to flush mount them into the door panel next to the door handle? I want it to look nice of course. I'm considering the black triangular pieces behind the side mirrors as an alternate mounting location too.

Just wanting to know what brands of tweeters are good? Should I get one with a seperate crossover so the stock midranges don't need to struggle with producing highs any more?

Anyone hear good stuff about Kenwood tweeters? there's an auction for them on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1330661928
Or I could just go to radio shack and pick up their cheapo Optimus tweeters?

Thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Banned

bebber:
Hey bud...I dunno...I'd go for a better model than that. You definitely want to cross it so your mids aren't producing the highs now that you have the tweeters. You can go get some JL XR CT's...component tweeters...I love JL tweeters...or for best clarity go get some focals or infinity tweeters. It's not hard to flush mount as long as you don't mind cutting...

Austin519
Old 02-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Austin519
bebber:
Hey bud...I dunno...I'd go for a better model than that. You definitely want to cross it so your mids aren't producing the highs now that you have the tweeters. You can go get some JL XR CT's...component tweeters...I love JL tweeters...or for best clarity go get some focals or infinity tweeters. It's not hard to flush mount as long as you don't mind cutting...

Austin519
Yeah just get a hole saw and whip out your drill...just be careful...I have my Boston tweets that way. I will post a pic if you want to see what it looks like.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I've seen what tweeters look like mounted next to the door handle before. Looks quite nice in fact. Yeah, I've heard Infinity makes really nice speakers. Ahhh! I don't know what I should do. I'm starting to wonder if I should just replace the front mids too? Next thing you know, I'd have replaced everything sound related in the car. This process never stops.

So anyone hear anything good or bad about kenwood? They're selling cheap, so my pocketbook is inclining me towards them. I like their quality in home audio amps, but don't know if their speakers are any good other than sitting good looking in their iridescent blue.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:37 AM
Banned

bebber:
Kenwood
-screens = great
-hu's = good
-speakers = fair
-subs = poor

They've got good speakers relative to their price range...but can never beat focal, a/d/s, id, rf, jl, infinity...etc etc etc

Austin519
Old 02-07-2002, 04:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmm. Decisions are tough. A friend recommended that I not purchase the Kenwood tweeters and just put out a lil' more dough and get at least new front component speakers. He's saying to get entry level MB Quart for around $200 a pair. They come with surface mount tweeters too.

This doesn't sound like a bad option, but I'm concerned if the factory HU can put out enough power to power aftermarket speakers without adding on an amp (I don't want an amp, for now). The HU gives out ~12 W RMS to each speaker? So any aftermarket speakers I want should be designed to operate around that Wattage? For speaker compatibility, should I be looking at Wattage range, max wattage, sensitivity? What do you think?

I guess my goal is to make the factory sound system sound slightly better at a modest price, say $50-$250.

Austin, this of course means that I'm not going to have that crazy kickin' setup that you plan on putting into your TL.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Banned

bebber:
I saw that rolled eyes smilie at the end of that comment about my system

"Hmm. Decisions are tough. A friend recommended that I not purchase the Kenwood tweeters and just put out a lil' more dough and get at least new front component speakers. He's saying to get entry level MB Quart for around $200 a pair. They come with surface mount tweeters too."

Uhm...well I at one time could get JL XR650CS 6.5" 2 way components for $150...and you're talking the highest grade of JL...it would butt rape those mb quarts...metaphorically speaking and at a lower price. I know for just about sure that I can get them for $200 a pair. So uh...screw the entry level MB Quart crap

"This doesn't sound like a bad option, but I'm concerned if the factory HU can put out enough power to power aftermarket speakers without adding on an amp (I don't want an amp, for now). The HU gives out ~12 W RMS to each speaker? So any aftermarket speakers I want should be designed to operate around that Wattage? For speaker compatibility, should I be looking at Wattage range, max wattage, sensitivity? What do you think? "

Ok...bebber are you running this off the stock Bose system? If so, the stock system is 1/2 ohm...totally incompatible with just about any component setup out there...definitely incompatible with any setup that's better than the Bose setup. And even if you somehow work around that...the only 2 way systems that operate that low are radio crapshack. I mean...you're trying to drive a 6.5" woofer and a piezo tweeter off of 12W? That's like 8W for the woofer and 4W for the tweeter...you'd be able to generate more power breathing. If you really want to upgrade that you're gonna need an aftermarket amp bud...that doesn't mean it has to be the biggest bad boy out there. But it will have to be something more than stock. Get a good little 400W amp...I got mine for around $150 ish...and I'm sure you could get a middle of the line one for less.

"I guess my goal is to make the factory sound system sound slightly better at a modest price, say $50-$250."

Then I suggest you compromise...get a middle of the line aftermarket amp, and a middle of the line 2 way, or coaxial. My JL coaxials I can get for $150 or less...and they do quite well...easier to install...woofer and tweeter, the tweeter can rotate for optimal listening...or get the XR525CX 5.25" pair of coaxials...for $110. Note...this are not prices you'll find anywhere else but me

I'd say if your price limit is $250...go get a good coaxial set, or an average 2 way set, and a midrange amp...plan on paying $150 for the speakers and $150 for the amp...

Anything less is just uncivilized <says Fabio>

Austin519

p.s. - "Austin, this of course means that I'm not going to have that crazy kickin' setup that you plan on putting into your TL."
I'm gonna stick your head into the 8" port of my bandpass box with the system at 100% for that