Going to attempt the Navi install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Going to attempt the Navi install.

I missed the UPS man the past couple days, but I finally got it. I really don't know anything about car stereos, but I researched everything and it looks pretty straight forward. Everything except for the custom double din mounting kit I need to make.

It's the Pioneer AVIC F90BT

I searched the internet and got the impression it would just slide right in using the original mounting hardware. The only optional piece I would need is the trim kit to make it look more flush. After pulling out the radio that was already in the car, I now see that this just isn't going to work. A quick search of the forums shows I need to purchase a double din kit and then modify it for the navi unit.

Am I missing something here? I don't see where the mounting kit connects to the audio console. All I see are a couple of screws at the lower back.

Tonight I plan on soldering the wires to the adapter harness. I've never done this before, but it doesn't look too hard. And also a little more research on how to get this bracket to work.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Rockin the D2! Purple Pwr

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmmmm.... dont solder the wire together... get those things that u can screw it in... gl with project dude... those kit's that u buy....u need to modify them in order for them to work...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess I'll just buy a Metra or Scosche kit and see what I need to do. Do you know if I need one of those aluminum sleeves that covers the navi unit?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
N00berator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no music???
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
actually, soldering is the most reliable way to connect the plug-in harness to the navi... just as long as you aren't cutting the car's harness up. I would recommend buying some shrink tube and putting an inch or so of sleeve on each connection then wrapping with looming or 3M electrical tape. The setup would look a lot like this:

with the final product resembling this:

now, onto the mounting. The CL uses a double-din style opening from the factory, so I'm not understanding why that radio shouldn't fit right in. In regards to securing the radio in that space, I would see if I could modify the factory radio bracket to accomodate the navi unit. It looks pretty beefy, but definitely needs some support. With the factory radios, the trim does act as some support for the front of the factory unit. You should do a test fit and see if it will fit in that space and allow you to reinstall the black trim.

and btw: Acura used double-din radios in the 90's RL, TL and in the Accord in markets other than the US. They are mounted in the same way as the factory radio in the CL with the exception of the part of the metal mount that juts out to accomodate the Tape or ID Cellular phone.

Last edited by iansanderson; 01-08-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by switchfootvz
hmmmm.... dont solder the wire together... get those things that u can screw it in... gl with project dude... those kit's that u buy....u need to modify them in order for them to work...
he's soldering the radio harness to the double din.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by iansanderson
actually, soldering is the most reliable way to connect the plug-in harness to the navi... just as long as you aren't cutting the car's harness up. I would recommend buying some shrink tube and putting an inch or so of sleeve on each connection then wrapping with looming or 3M electrical tape. The setup would look a lot like this:

now, onto the mounting. The CL uses a double-din style opening from the factory, so I'm not understanding why that radio shouldn't fit right in. In regards to securing the radio in that space, I would see if I could modify the factory radio bracket to accomodate the navi unit. It looks pretty beefy, but definitely needs some support. With the factory radios, the trim does act as some support for the front of the factory unit. You should do a test fit and see if it will fit in that space and allow you to reinstall the black trim.

and btw: Acura used double-din radios in the 90's RL, TL and in the Accord in markets other than the US. They are mounted in the same way as the factory radio in the CL with the exception of the part of the metal mount that juts out to accomodate the Tape or ID Cellular phone.
hmmm..... ya sure... but it is a hassle when u want to take out the unit..... and u have cut the wire short..... to install in the next car!!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
'99 2.3 CL

oh.. and a navi-unit is a very nice choice for an add on! Please take some video of how it works once you get it installed!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
where is....

you dont have to cut it short, just cut the radio harness.
i've done double din installs before, specifically avic-d3. most of the wiring is straight forward. the only problem i had was the dvd bypass. but once you get a double din dash kit, i had to trim and shave off some corners to get it to fit properly.

Last edited by AznX TL; 01-08-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
'99 2.3 CL

hmmm..... ya sure... but it is a hassle when u want to take out the unit..... and u have cut the wire short..... to install in the next car!!
good point, but there is A LOT of room to have some extra wires tucked in that space in case you want to re-install the radio.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MoSp33d
no music???
It has music. It plays CD's, DVD's, MP3's from SD card, has a really nice iPod interface and it's possible to hook up an external hard drive. It also accepts Sirius, XM and HD radio as well as regular radio. It's a pretty neat device and works really good ever since the firmware 2.0 update.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^is that a cl, the steering wheel and guages look like a cl, but the dash/console look completely different
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by mitch14
^is that a cl, the steering wheel and guages look like a cl, but the dash/console look completely different
looks like a first gen TL.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Question: What external hookups does this radio require? I am assuming GPS antenna? Is the amplifier built in? How many watts RMS is it?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM

like i said wire caps...... i used on the install of my unit pioneer 7000bt.... what an amazing unit......
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
where is....

there isnt much room when you do a double din install. when i did it on the 350z, i had to move the wires to a lower compartment(a/c compartment).
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the tips. I just finished soldering all the wires and completed the bypass. Everything is nice and secure and I used the heat shrink tubes like you mentioned. I had one mishap where I burned my ring finger pretty good.

As for mounting the radio, I know it will fit in the opening. I was just concerned about how I should go about mounting it since there are no off the shelf mounting kits available for our CL's. I searched the forums and couldn't find any pictures of anyone else's set-up. It looks like I'll just buy a double din kit and try to trim it to fit.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM
where is....

use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Accord-199...3%3A1|294%3A50
you can see the little center piece that you need to trim. you also need trim the corners a little bit.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
N00berator

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
It has music. It plays CD's, DVD's, MP3's from SD card, has a really nice iPod interface and it's possible to hook up an external hard drive. It also accepts Sirius, XM and HD radio as well as regular radio. It's a pretty neat device and works really good ever since the firmware 2.0 update.

niceee, im jealous, good pick up
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question: What external hookups does this radio require? I am assuming GPS antenna? Is the amplifier built in? How many watts RMS is it?
At the bare minimum you need:
"power supply" harness
"AV" harness - which contains the inputs and outputs for extra screens/backup camera etc... It also contains the mute wire that needs moved in order to complete the bypass
GPS antenna
External Mic - If you want hands free

And finally, the USB cable that's hardwired into the unit. This is unique to the F90BT. The F700 and F900 you need to purchase it separately.

It's 14 Watt RMS x 4 Channel and yes the amplifier is built in.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AznX TL
use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Accord-199...3%3A1|294%3A50
you can see the little center piece that you need to trim. you also need trim the corners a little bit.
I think I'll try to stop at Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can pick one up there. I'm sorta anxious to get it put in and can't wait for shipping!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,418 Likes on 3,027 Posts
The double din kit mounts into your 97 outer black trim piece
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
CL in lawnmower status

^be sure that you don't count on that fact, cuz on my JVC deck i think it only supports the format for drives < 32GB, although i've seen some ppl use bigger ones online, my HP never worked connected to my deck. yours may work tho, i really don't know, just wanted to warn you.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The double din kit mounts into your 97 outer black trim piece
The plastic bezel? That's strange, I didn't really look at it too closely. I just assumed it connects to the somewhere in the back and maybe on the sides.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

^be sure that you don't count on that fact, cuz on my JVC deck i think it only supports the format for drives < 32GB, although i've seen some ppl use bigger ones online, my HP never worked connected to my deck. yours may work tho, i really don't know, just wanted to warn you.
You're right, there's certain limitations as to what kind of HD can be used. The unit itself can't power up a larger HD, so you'll need some sort of other power supply. I don't see myself using one, so I didn't do much research. Some members of avic411 have got it to work, though.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
CL in lawnmower status

^ you could always get some flash drives when they're cheap at best buy or whatever, just to store music or videos i think they do their job quite well.(i use some 8GB ones, but the 16GB ones are getting pretty cheap now too) And for the harddrive you can buy the small HP drives as they get the power from the usb cable aswell as being able to transfer info at the same time, i bought one and my deck had the HD running it just didn't recognize any of the files cuz of the formatting
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
U cannot hookup a portable hard drive. U can only use usb sticks. That is the reason i did not buy it! The reason is the portable HD needs a power source, unlike a usb stick or sd card
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by Eband27
U cannot hookup a portable hard drive. U can only use usb sticks. That is the reason i did not buy it! The reason is the portable HD needs a power source, unlike a usb stick or sd card
most slim external HD don't require another power source, and run off the usb for power.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by AznX TL
most slim external HD don't require another power source, and run off the usb for power.
Or you can get a cig lighter usb power source like you would use for an ipod
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM

u should look at klepto's install of his double din...... his is clean.... i bet if u ask him he can help u out....
Old 01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

u should look at klepto's install of his double din...... his is clean.... i bet if u ask him he can help u out....
He also had a 97 so you can see how he fit it in the radio trim
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by Eband27
^why didn't you read my post right above yours, i explained that already

... And for the harddrive you can buy the small HP drives as they get the power from the usb cable aswell as being able to transfer info at the same time...
i even checked the specs for power of the harddrive and my deck, and they were compatible, both were 5V

Last edited by mitch14; 01-09-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'll check klepto's thread, but in the mean time, does anyone know if I am to remove these two tabs from the mounting kit? The directions don't give much info. It won't fit in the dash the way it is and it says nothing about removing them.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Yup, snap em off
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, well I got that done and ultimately turned the mounting kit into a trim kit. It's a pretty tight fit and there's really no custom work needed. All I have to do now is run the wires for the mic and gps antenna.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 AM
No more 4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet looks good. i wanna do that too, have been since she got the damn car lol. my silverado has a din and a half =/ one day ill put a navi unit in it with the avalanche dash stuff. till then i can only hope. theyre too pricey imo.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^It's a really cool device. Look into the F700, it can be picked up on Amazon for about $450 from a "premier" dealer, which won't void the warranty.

I got it installed tonight! I was a little worried about the bypass since you have to tap into a couple different wires and also move one of the wires in the harness. Everything works great! It doesn't quite fit as nicely as I would like, so I need to trim the mounting kit a little more. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with my first Navi install.

I stuck the mic next to the steering wheel and ran the iPod cable through the console and out through arm rest. The GPS antenna I stuck under the dash on top of the steering column (right behind the firewall). The only thing I didn't connect was the VSS wire, but it still locates me dead on.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when there's more light. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
where is....

yeah you don't really need to connect the VSS wire, but the D3 had a cool feature where it shows the speedometer and tach on the screen. not really useful, but cool
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
where is....

how'd the install go?
pics?

Quick Reply: Going to attempt the Navi install.