Flat Bose sub, question 4 audio pros

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flat Bose sub, question 4 audio pros

I was wondering if there is any way to mount an aftermarket open air sub that works better than stock but fits under the stock grill. I know Infinity used to make Uniplane speakers with small powerfull magnets and they were only like an inch in depth but they don't seem to make them anymore. Hey Ron got any solutions? I see that the trunk springs are in the way. Has anyone overcome this?
Old 11-14-2001, 03:25 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the actual mounting depth of the factory sub? Try the Illusion audio subs. Just a word of warning, I have no idea if they are recommended for free air use. I have heard them in proper enclosures howver, they sound really nice... here is a link to their specs:

Illusion Audio

Bryan
Old 11-14-2001, 04:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was thinking about trying to replace my stock sub with a free air sub....i remember seeing a post where someone managed to fit a pioneer free air in there with quit a bit of customizing....with out altering the car any there are only two speakers that i have found that might come cls to fitting....the illusion audio and then i found a planet audio sub that might work.....the planetaudio P10NEO 10" sub has a mounting depth of like 2 1/2 inches....if you do figure out a way to get it to work plz let me know.....oh by the way you can look at that planet audio subwoofer @
www.planetaudiousa.com
Old 11-14-2001, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, you have a couple options.....I don't know HOW MUCH customizing you want to do, but.....

OPTION # 1 --- Remove BOTH tension rods from the lid and fabricate two actual "springs" so the lid opens and closes like the bars were there. This was, you have room to put a normal size sub in there with or without an enclosure. You will still need to make the opening bigger unless you are using an 8" woofer, OR, with the right size sub, you might get away with just a spacer.

OPTION # 2 --- If you don't want to remove the bars, you will most likely have to go with an 8" freeair sub, and custom make a mount that will space it high enough to miss the bars. I don't know of a really thin sub off hand, but if there is one, you can rest asssure that it's displacement will suck

Either way, you will have to make a new "cover" for inside the car.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Angry

This sucks. I don't want to lose a lot of trunk space. Any way a sub can be mounted in the spare tire area an still have the doughnut?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by NighthawkBlack
This sucks. I don't want to lose a lot of trunk space. Any way a sub can be mounted in the spare tire area an still have the doughnut?
With a lot of fiberglass it can. Might want to wait a little while till Ron gets to work on my car. I have a very small sub enclosure that he is gonna mount so I can remove it when I need trunk space, or at least that's the plan. After seeing Erinie's trunk, I am afraid.....very afraid.

BTW, CDT Audio subs can be put in some very very small enclosures. My 10" can be installed in a box of only .35 cuft

The 8", although never a SPL winner, can be in a box only .13 cuft
Old 11-14-2001, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks that sounds good. I would like something I can easily remove. By the way how bad is the performance of those Infintybaselink powered sub add ons? I want better bass but I don't want a rattling car nor do I want to change the way it looks. I got all that out of my system when I did the audio for my old Camry.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
By the way how bad is the performance of those Infintybaselink powered sub add ons?
I've heard they really suck. I thought someone on this board either got one or was thinking about it. Can't remember...
Old 11-15-2001, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way how bad is the performance of those Infintybaselink powered sub add ons?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard they really suck. I thought someone on this board either got one or was thinking about it. Can't remember..."

They're actually not so bad for what they were meant for. JL Audio also used to make a 6" free air sub, its now discontinued...but I have seen them floating around ebay...you may be able to find one and it should fit fine...

Austin519