Entire System Replacement - CONT -

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entire System Replacement - CONT -

Because i still have problems i wanted to start from scratch.

If one were to replace the entire stereo system in a 2003 TL-S one could do the following

when replacing the stock head unit - you would use non - navi wiring harness from metra ?
(nevermind steering wheel controls - N/A) (NOT using any factory amps)
i am only using one harness in the dash and that is to power the head unit and memory. i am not using the speaker connections off the head unit.

one note: i have left the factory wiring and amps and eq as they were from factory except those speakers are gone.

if using all external amps - run 3 sets of rca's front, rear and SUB

4 door components - run all wires to the trunk (6.5in kappas)

at this point you have power wire from the batt, remote from the head unit, 3 sets rca and (4) speaker pair wires (from the components)

i am going to stop here and ask if there is something that has to be disconnected or bypassed that could leak noise into my head unit. i have removed all of the factory speakers. Everything i am doing is aftermarket and i am not even using the speaker leads on the head unit. basically the head unit is just recieving power and the other harness is tucked in the back.

if i could drive facing the trunk it would work great and i would have no noise but with the head unit connected up front and rca's ran to the back i get so much noise its like its a cd i bought. its not a whine but NOOOOISEEE.

as of today i just wired the head unit to the metra harness and that plugs into the factory harness.

in the trunk my ground has always been to the ful pump bolt in which it has been sanded to bare metal. no i didnt put the amp terminal over top the fuel pump terminal. they are sized correctly so the larger is on the bottom.

any advice would be great - i have this feeling that my problem is ground related and i am pulling noise through the batt, acc or ground wire at the head unit.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind the above- Head unit i bought in june was defective. Rca's were bad inside HU.

Thanks to whoever left advice i greatly appreciate it.