E-Bay Wiring Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Bay Wiring Kits?

I hate to be really cheap while putting together my speaker system, but isn't wire...well wire...

Come on guys, I think if you pay $200 for a wiring kit your getting screwed. Of course unless your going for competition or what not...

So what do you guys think? I found some nice 4 Ga. kit for about $20. Looks nice to me? Of course installing all of that wire just to find out it's no good would not be fun.

thanks for the input!
Old 02-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Drifting

I wouldnt worry about it. The only thing I would consider upgrading are the rcas if they are shitty. But for the power ground, and rem, it shouldnt matter.

spiro
Old 02-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Got BOOST????

It also depends if you get a fuse block or a circuit breaker. I personaly like the circuit breaker.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply messages. Somtimes I think you really just pay for the name. Funny, you won't find one of these $20 kit's at Best Buy or Circuit City. I'm going to do it... Maybe I'll report back to you guys and let you know what I come up with.

I'm also looking at doing two 10's in a sealed box. Anyone running two 10's? One guy told me to only run one 12"....

Later...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Drifting

I rather one 2 10s then 1 12 because you get more surface area. I rather have 2 12s though
Originally posted by gsxr151
Thanks for the reply messages. Somtimes I think you really just pay for the name. Funny, you won't find one of these $20 kit's at Best Buy or Circuit City. I'm going to do it... Maybe I'll report back to you guys and let you know what I come up with.

I'm also looking at doing two 10's in a sealed box. Anyone running two 10's? One guy told me to only run one 12"....

Later...
Old 02-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Instructor

So why two 12's over two 10's? I've got a box for two 12's at home right now, but I thought two 10's would be cleaner bass and not so much weight.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Got BOOST????

So why two 12's over two 10's? I've got a box for two 12's at home right now, but I thought two 10's would be cleaner bass and not so much weight.
10's give you more of a tight bass. 12's give you more of a looser bass, for like hiphop or reggie. I personaly like 12's because it gives me the best of both worlds.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I bought a few 4 & 8 gauge kits before off of ebay. Never had any problems with them. Also bought speakers wire, caps, & RCA's.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Drifting

If you get quality 12s I dont think you will notice the difference. If anything my IDMAX is tighter them my 2 10 infinity perfects that I had.
Originally posted by bnavarro
10's give you more of a tight bass. 12's give you more of a looser bass, for like hiphop or reggie. I personaly like 12's because it gives me the best of both worlds.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:54 PM
I hand out swivel heads

I think there is something out of line here guys....no, wire is not just wire and 10" subs versus 12" has no complete result in loose or tight base. Different brand subs may have a variance in frequency response, depending on the way they were built and the application they were built for. The box is the single most imprtant part of frequency response and the subwoofer used in the correct box will dictate the performance desired. A small box sealed usually creates more of a "boomy" bass, while a vented box usually creates a "looser" bass and a bandpass box is often suggested for a "best of both worlds", where the frewquency can be tuned by the port. All I am suggesting here is that there is more detail into things if you wanted to get complicated. So while you can make generalities, there are a lot of complications that can go left unassumed.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Expand on your theory that "wire is not just wire". That was my original question. Personally I did not think there would be much difference between say, a Best Buy wiring kit Vs. a generic e-bay kit. One of the responses was a member who actually uses this "generic" wire. He said he approves of both the quality and performance. Ultimately there is only a $50 difference between kits, but hey $50 is $50, right?
Old 02-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Drifting

If you are talking about the power and gorund wires, the only difference that there can be is how easy the wire can bend is. I wouldnt worry about it, as long as the wires are the same guage you should be ok. I compared my expensive wire to my cousins cheap one (audiopipe) and its the same shit.
Expand on your theory that "wire is not just wire". That was my original question. Personally I did not think there would be much difference between say, a Best Buy wiring kit Vs. a generic e-bay kit. One of the responses was a member who actually uses this "generic" wire. He said he approves of both the quality and performance. Ultimately there is only a $50 difference between kits, but hey $50 is $50, right?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:47 PM
I hand out swivel heads

OK, so wire isnt just wire. First you can start with size and length, (this is about wires right?), the thicker in size the better the conductor. The better conductor the more power it retains. The longer in lenghth your wire has to travel to the amp and then from amp to subs the more loss of power. There are "terms" that I am not definitive on so excuse the terms and focus on the point. Thats why different kits are made for different wattage amps. On almost all amps rated 500 watts or more it is recommended to use a 4 guage wire or less. The actual material used can vary, however the metal used that hold lower temps is this best for 2 reasons: 1)saftety and 2) holds energy better. Kits with RCA rather than loose ends will play better signals. Gold plated RCA is even better because the gold supposedly allows that connection to be perfect. The whole idea is that you bought an amp and it deserves the most power and the more it gets the better it runs. The better the connection, like with gold plated RCA the better. Is all of this noticeable to the human ear, probably not. Is all of this "better" wiring going to last longer, maybe. Is the better wiring overall going to improve the sound, yes but only when you are trying to master the sound in your car. So you want to listen to tunes a lil louder, just pay the $20 and buy the cheap stuff.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Drifting

you are right, but as long as the wire is the same guage you are not missing anything. Now rcas are a different story.
Originally posted by AcurajL
OK, so wire isnt just wire. First you can start with size and length, (this is about wires right?), the thicker in size the better the conductor. The better conductor the more power it retains. The longer in lenghth your wire has to travel to the amp and then from amp to subs the more loss of power. There are "terms" that I am not definitive on so excuse the terms and focus on the point. Thats why different kits are made for different wattage amps. On almost all amps rated 500 watts or more it is recommended to use a 4 guage wire or less. The actual material used can vary, however the metal used that hold lower temps is this best for 2 reasons: 1)saftety and 2) holds energy better. Kits with RCA rather than loose ends will play better signals. Gold plated RCA is even better because the gold supposedly allows that connection to be perfect. The whole idea is that you bought an amp and it deserves the most power and the more it gets the better it runs. The better the connection, like with gold plated RCA the better. Is all of this noticeable to the human ear, probably not. Is all of this "better" wiring going to last longer, maybe. Is the better wiring overall going to improve the sound, yes but only when you are trying to master the sound in your car. So you want to listen to tunes a lil louder, just pay the $20 and buy the cheap stuff.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

i got a fogate 4 gauge kit for less than 25 bucks at best buy, but i have a friend who works there and gets shit discounted