dom's install issues with Myron & Davis AD212 player

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dom's install issues with Myron & Davis AD212 player

Well,
I am back to the drawing board with this dom's install - 2006 TSX.
I installed it a while back in the kick panel and I actually wrote a DYI explanation on how to do it, but I am starting to lean towards redoing the installation again.
Prior kick panel install

I have two reason. The main reason is the audio from the DVD player is not loud enough for some of the DVDs that I am watching. I have it cranked up all the way to 40 and I can barely hear what people are saying in some movies. The mp3s however play very nicely through the DVD player with no hearing problems.

And yes, I do have the volume on the DVD player set all the way up.
Has anyone else ran into this problem, or am I the only one? Anyway, its a real PITA, because some of the movies are simply worthless because I can't hear anything at full volume while the car is running. So I am kind of unsure what to do there, because I don't feel like installing a different amp to rectify the problem.
If someone has a tsx service manual, maybe you can post a diagram of the wires in the kick panel that show which wire is for what speaker R+/R- and L+/L-
Maybe I did it wrong when I installed it first.

The other problem that I've started to get mad about is lines going through the screen. I first thought that its the DVD player, so I took it out, so I would only get a black screen from the Dom's unit, and I could still see lines going through the screen (car turned off). I though maybe its a grounding issue, so I drilled a whole in the kick panel and screwed a self-taping screw and grounded everything with no avail.
I thought well, maybe its the power wire that I connected dom's unit to. So I took the whole unit out and powered it directly from the battery (had to hook up an extension to the DB9 cable). Same thing, lines are still going through the screen without anything connected to the video1 or video2 input on the dom's unit.. The funny part is that the picture is perfect when switched to navigation, no lines whatsoever.
I think what I am going to try to do is install a ferrite choke over the 4 output wires from the dom's unit and see what it does.

If anyone has any info that they would like to share, please post.
Thanks

Last edited by sladotron; 10-17-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a Turbo one line driver for you audio problem. You can get them on Ebay for like $30 shipped. This will boost the sound output of the RCAs wires going into your AUX input.
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...%20Accessories

I don't know about the video problem. You might be able to get a filter for the power line of the DVD player.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Instructor

I have the same DVD player and converter in my 2005 TSX. I had the lines in the screen and fixed it with a cheap Terminator power filter. I used the filtered power from it for Dom's unit and the dvd player and I haven't had a line since. The audio is loud enough, but I do have to crank it to 40, but like I said, its plenty loud, almost to much where the wife tells me to turn it down. I don't think the line driver will help much. I tried to use an Audio control Overdrive to boost the DVD level and I also have my MP3 player hooked into the RCA's and the factory deck couldn't handle over 1 Volt of input without overloading the input section of the factory deck. You might be able to boost the audio very little with a line driver, but your still going to be cranking the volume on the factory deck to over 35.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced

thanks guys,
I am going to try both of those things and see if they work. I'll report with my findings later.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Any progress with this? I was going to do the relay way instead of paying $100 for the adapter.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Advanced

I tried a line driver and it works ok for DVD playback, however there is no way to bypass it when playing mp3s, because its overdriving the speakers (some frequencies are lost or overamplified, so you get crackling sound). And the other thing is, the line driver that I bought is basically useless, because there is no way to adjust it later since its all the way in the kick panel. It also picks up engine noise, so you get whine when you listen to your mp3s. I unplugged it, so I am back to square one.

I put in the power filter for the DVD player and the converter, but I get the same issue. I am not sure if it picks up noise from the extra video source for the backup camera or what. I tried plugging it in directly to the battery and its still the same problem. And its weird, it will go away or be very mild at times, and other times its very noticable and annoying.

So, I am kind of spinning my wheels here.

I haven't had much time to mess around with it, thats why I just put it on hold for a while.

Last edited by sladotron; 03-14-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Advanced

So do you think I should add the relay to this? Or get the SHOND thingy?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Advanced

I would still go with the relay. It works very well. Its not the relay problem, its just that the stupid player's output drive is only 2V, good decks have 4-5Volts out.
I haven't tried the SHOND thingy, not sure what difference it would make.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Well I was thinking about getting the Myron and Davis player, but should I look for one that has at least 4 V? Any recommendations?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Advanced

I don't know about previous TSX's, but I was barely able to fit the player in the cubby for a 2006 TSX. I had to cut out a big portion of the cubby's frame in order for this player to fit. I've seen some posts here with people fitting other player's very easily with almost no cutout of the cubby, so it makes me wonder if the cubby is bigger on older TSX's. Its trapezoidal shape in my car, so it gets smaller the deeper you insert the player.
This player is 3/4 DIN. I've tried putting a regular DIN player in from my old car and there is no way it would fit. You might have to look around to see the dimensions of other players to see if they are the same size as this one
Dimensions: 6.3" x 6.3" x 1.3"
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Advanced

Quick question...why didn't you use the AUX input in the center counsel?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Advanced

Because I want to be able to use center console for my portable mp3 player. I probably could have run a cable underneath somehow to get it to work. It just seemed like a logical place to have everything in the kick panel, video and audio.
It might be a better idea to do it through center console, but it will requre disassembly of that whole console, probably not a big deal.

Last edited by sladotron; 03-14-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Gotcha, I may do that so I wouldn't have any problem with audio. Does all DVD players have the power wire that is "hot" when turned on?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Advanced

I don't think all of them have it. You would have to find out on individual basis. I know my previous CD/MP3 deck didn't have one.

The audio works very well, its just only some movies are like that. Most movies are playable just fine, only a few that I have don't work well. Varsity Blues for instance.

Last edited by sladotron; 03-14-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Advanced

No no, not the Mp3 player, the DVD player.... the wire that you added to the relay.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Advanced

i've edited previous post to clear the confusion. I was talking about the actual deck (my previous deck would play CDs and mp3s). I wasn't talking about your portalble mp3 player.

Gotta go to bed. I'll answer further questions tomorrow