DIY - Kick Panel Install of Dom's Unit in 2006 TSX

Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY - Kick Panel Install of Dom's Unit in 2006 TSX

I'll try to explain in as much detail as I can, however this project is already done on my car and thus it would take me a lot of time to disassemble everything. I will post here the most important things that you need to know in order to install Dom's unit in the kick panel.

The goal of this project is to mount Myron and Davis AD212 player in the cubby portion of the console and then connect all of the necessary wires so that the video will be shown on the screen and the audio will be outputted instead of XM radio. That means that if you want to watch a DVD or play an mp3 DVD in the player, you will be unable to listed to XM audio at the same time. You have to switch the DVD player off in order to listen to XM audio.

To open up the kick panel, you will need to lift the side panel that covers the portion of the kick panel piece. In the picture, I already have the kick panel removed, but if you are starting from scratch, you will need to lift the side panel first. There are no screws to remove so just pull it up. Afterwards pull the kick panel out.

VIDEO PORTION - 24 PIN CONNECTOR

You will find two connectors attached to each other. One is 24 pin, the other is 12 pin. (the 24 pin connector is already disconnected in the picture)

The following pictures show a 24 pin female connector that goes to the navigation screen. Assuming the bottom left pin is pin 1 and the top left pin is 13, you will need to cut pins
4 - yellow
5 - green
16 - white
17 - red
(count 3 pins from the left in each row and cut the next two wires in each row)
Make sure you leave enough room in order to strip the insulation so that you can connect the DB9 wires.

You will now have to make 8 different connections (you'll need to solder)

The small portion of the wires that are right next to the connector need to be soldered in the following manner
pin 4(yellow) to purple wire on the DB9
pin 5 (green) to brown wire on the DB9
pin 16(white) to orange wire on the DB9
pin 17(red) to yellow wire on the DB9

Connect the top portion of the 4 wires that you cut in the following manner.

Yellow(pin 4) to Blue on the DB9 cable
Green(pin 5) to White on the DB9 cable
White (pin 16) to Red on the DB9 cable
Red (pin 17) to Green on the DB9 cable

You will now need to connect +12V and Ground to the Dom's unit so that it has power. There is switched power on the same 24 pin connector which is Pin 8 (yellow wire). Don't cut the wire, just use a knife to strip the insulation off and then twist the +12V wire from the Dom's unit onto the bare wire and solder it together.
The wire next in line is Pin 9 (grey), thats ground. Again, don't cut the wire, just strip off the insulation with a knife and solder. You can use this wire to ground anything else that you need to ground from the dom's unit.

Once you have connected everything, when you turn the ignition to accessory, dom's unit should come on (red LED will turn on).

AUDIO PORTION - 12 PIN CONNECTOR

Here is a drawing of what the pinout looks like for the 12 pin connector

The wires to cut are pins 3, 4, 5, 6 using my diagram. I cut the female connector so the colors are black, green, white, and red respectively.
Pin 6 - R+
Pin 4 - R-
Pin 5 - L+
Pin 3 - L-
Please note. Since I don't have helm's manual, I couldn't verify that this +/- configuration is correct for sure. It is to the best of my knowledge (works in my car)

Now again you are left with 8 wires to connect. I used a relay to switch the audio automatically when the player turns on. If you have never played with relays, don't worry, its really simple. A relay is simply an automatic switch which turns on or off depending if one of the contacts has voltage.
The relay that you need for this job is this one.

I would also recommend buying a socket for the relay for easy connections. It also helps if the relay fails, its very easily to replace. Just pull out and insert a new one. You can find a socket here

You will also need 2 RCA jacks so that you can connect the audio cable that is coming from the DVD player to the relay. You can get the RCA jacks here
Notice that you will need the cut the RCA PLUG off in order to expose the 4 wires on the end of the RCA jacks.

The last thing that you'll need are these 4-conductor locking connectors You will need two pairs. I accidentally ordered one pair and had to use my computer white molex connectors instead.

Once you get all of those things, connect the terminals as shown in this picture

Don't worry too much about my colors. All you have to do is be consistent when you wire your relay.
The DVD player has a +12V out wire which is "hot" whenever the player is on. You'll need to connect it as shown in the picture, that way the relay will switch to DVD audio from XM. Note that you'll be able to see the XM information in the line display above your navigation screen, however the audio will be from the DVD player.

DVD Player install
In order to mount the player, the cubby portion of the console needs to be removed. There are no screwed attaching it, so all you need to do is push on the sides of the cubby with your fingers and pull it out in the same motion. It takes a good pull, but eventually you'll hear a snap and the cubby will come out. You'll have to take the light wire off of the top in order to completely pull it out. Once its out, you will have to cut the back of the cubby off in order for the player to fit. I had to cut a good portion of the cubby off in order for the player to fit, thus in my case, the light wire could not be connected afterwards. In fact, I pulled the light bulb out of the wire because it was annoying when you had your DVD player on. You will have to drill four holes (2 on each side to mount the DVD player into the cubby). Here are some pictures where the player is mounted in the cubby.

I found +12V that is always on in the green connector that is in the kick panel as well. Its the white wire that is all the way on the left bottom side. Here is a picture. You can't really see it because its taped, but its below the yellow wire that is shown in the picture.

Once you have it installed, you would probably want to make a switch on the left side of the steering wheel in order to switch from the Navigation Map to the DVD video. Here are some pictures

AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE
Here are some pictures of the picture quality when playing a DVD and a shot of the mp3 browsing screen when you have an mp3 DVD in the player (sorry for blurry picture).

Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've needed this for a while now. :sticky:
Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet..!!

Originally Posted by CJams
We've needed this for a while now. :sticky:
Already done..
Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

great job!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Advanced

I just got a helm's manual, and my R+/R-, L+/L- connections are actually reversed. So the correct connections are

Pin 6 - R-
Pin 4 - R+
Pin 5 - L-
Pin 3 - L+
Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Hey, I have a question about why do we need to have
"The last thing that you'll need are these 4-conductor locking connectors You will need two pairs. I accidentally ordered one pair and had to use my computer white molex connectors instead."

Why do we need this? If we can't just splice the wires (but then again I don't want to splice wires)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

You don't need them at all, the only reason he installed them is so when he uninstalls the unit, there is no need for more soldering, this allows quick connections.

Either way, you've going to be cutting 4 wires and splicing them.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Racer

with the PNP whats the requirement to do so for it to work?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Plug-n-play... none of this. But, you are required to mount the unit in the trunk so the PNP cable can reach the back of the navi unit, that is where it plugs in.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Racer

waht about the switch ?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Instructor

thats so weird... the mp3 navigation screen is nearly identical to my old neuneo mpeg4 video player.

I wonder if they use similar hardware. sorry off topic just thought that was odd because that player was only sold for a year before it was replaced and they never updated it. hardly anyone owned it.

Does this player do more than mp3 dvd's and dvd's?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Instructor

nevermind, cant find any info on the chipset it uses other than it says it just does svcd, etc.

if its using that GUI i gotta believe its a MTK1389 chipset or similar. I wonder if you could swap it out and get a fully functional mpeg4 player out of it. maybe someone who knows more than i could figure it out.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Advanced

the player isn't that great in my opion and does have bugs in the firmware. It will play mpg files, and will display jpegs even while playing an mp3 file (if you want to look at the picture of the CD/artist).

As far as the menu screen, i haven't seen one set top player that isn't like that. It seems like all the DVD players that I have seen always show the same menu screen when you are browsing through the contents on a DVD disc.

Swapping chipsets ?? I don't think anyone here will be able to do that . You need special equipment to remove SMD chips, you can't just solder if off with regular soldering iron.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Two of the neuneo mpeg players had the same exact hardware minus the processing chipset. I know of people who had purchased the chipset from somewhere on the web and simply upgraded their players. With a custom firmware it worked fine for them or so they said. Granted they were like electrical engineers and i'm not.. just curious thats all.

I've never seen that interface aside from my player and here. I guess the gui might not be chipset specific then anyways.

Thanks