DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I meant I dont mind losing my xm, can someone tell where in the tunk the xm box is i and what i have to disconnect?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
right side.. pop the panel off. its a box. white connector 20pin i believe. just unplug it!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced

I kept the DICE and returned my USA Spec. The USA Spec did seem solid, but I'm a sucker for text. Here's my feedback for the DICE folks to make this decent unit a great unit. For the record I have a 2005 TSX w/ Nav.

- Add a way to set Random (Shuffle) and Repeat modes from the car, or at the very least don't change those settings on the iPod when the iPod is connected to the DICE. It is annoying having to set this each time I get in the car (or when I get to work for that matter).

- Show Playlist name in a text field when in Playlist mode. At least on TSX's with Nav there are four fields. Two of these fields are wasted (in my opinion) by either displaying DICE or some other junk. I have quite a few playlists that I want to control with this thing (which was one of the selling points of this unit) and displaying the playlist name as you cycle through would be a huge help. However, I have no idea if it is possible to retrieve the current playlist name from an iPod or not. I would also vote for the same functionality when in Album mode.

- Fix the power-up issue that others have mentioned before. This didn't happen to me for a whole week and then happened 6 times in a row on Friday. I don't have a workaround either, so I must either switch to CD until I get to my destination or restart the car.

Other than these annoyances I will say that DICE is heading in the right direction towards iPod integration. Perhaps they have their reasons for not doing things the way I'd suggest, but I think if these suggestions were implemented it would make this a sweet interface.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by theoryzero
I kept the DICE and returned my USA Spec. The USA Spec did seem solid, but I'm a sucker for text. Here's my feedback for the DICE folks to make this decent unit a great unit. For the record I have a 2005 TSX w/ Nav.

- Add a way to set Random (Shuffle) and Repeat modes from the car, or at the very least don't change those settings on the iPod when the iPod is connected to the DICE. It is annoying having to set this each time I get in the car (or when I get to work for that matter).

- Show Playlist name in a text field when in Playlist mode. At least on TSX's with Nav there are four fields. Two of these fields are wasted (in my opinion) by either displaying DICE or some other junk. I have quite a few playlists that I want to control with this thing (which was one of the selling points of this unit) and displaying the playlist name as you cycle through would be a huge help. However, I have no idea if it is possible to retrieve the current playlist name from an iPod or not. I would also vote for the same functionality when in Album mode.

- Fix the power-up issue that others have mentioned before. This didn't happen to me for a whole week and then happened 6 times in a row on Friday. I don't have a workaround either, so I must either switch to CD until I get to my destination or restart the car.

Other than these annoyances I will say that DICE is heading in the right direction towards iPod integration. Perhaps they have their reasons for not doing things the way I'd suggest, but I think if these suggestions were implemented it would make this a sweet interface.
- On it. We have those buttons mapped to something else right now.

- Can't do it. In order for the playlist name to happen we have to lock the iPod. Small sacrafice considering you can still use your iPod.

- Still haven't found a car but we're gonna take a stab at it anyway. It may be a shot in the dark so we'll have to rely on your guy's input. Give me a little time on an answer for this.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Good to hear you guys are working on the Random and Repeat modes, that will be very useful.

At lunch the iPod played correctly but text seemed messed up. Did not think to try skipping the track or anything at the time, sorry. Here is what came up on the screen (sorry, only had camera phone at the time). Issue went away after powercycle.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Racer

That's fine if you kept pressing down. Notice that it says Channel 0000. If you press up, it will go away.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Advanced

"Show Playlist name in a text field when in Playlist mode. At least on TSX's with Nav there are four fields. Two of these fields are wasted (in my opinion) by either displaying DICE or some other junk. I have quite a few playlists that I want to control with this thing (which was one of the selling points of this unit) and displaying the playlist name as you cycle through would be a huge help. However, I have no idea if it is possible to retrieve the current playlist name from an iPod or not. I would also vote for the same functionality when in Album mode."

Not sure about the album mode, but for the playlist mode what I found to help was naming the first song the playlist title.

The DICE unit plays the playlists in the same order, so everytime the playlist starts with the same song. What I did was name this first song the title of the playlist, e.g. Interpol (playlist title) - PDA (song name).

I only did this for the first songs that pops up on the playlist each time. Doing this will help in quickly moving through your playlists and getting to the one you want.

hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jayq16
"Show Playlist name in a text field when in Playlist mode. At least on TSX's with Nav there are four fields. Two of these fields are wasted (in my opinion) by either displaying DICE or some other junk. I have quite a few playlists that I want to control with this thing (which was one of the selling points of this unit) and displaying the playlist name as you cycle through would be a huge help. However, I have no idea if it is possible to retrieve the current playlist name from an iPod or not. I would also vote for the same functionality when in Album mode."

Not sure about the album mode, but for the playlist mode what I found to help was naming the first song the playlist title.

The DICE unit plays the playlists in the same order, so everytime the playlist starts with the same song. What I did was name this first song the title of the playlist, e.g. Interpol (playlist title) - PDA (song name).

I only did this for the first songs that pops up on the playlist each time. Doing this will help in quickly moving through your playlists and getting to the one you want.

hope this helps.
That's a great idea. I have another as well - http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

You can use that to make your playlist name both a visual and spoken audio file.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Advanced

jayq16,

Thanks for the suggestion, I concur with Nick, that's a great idea!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
6th Gear

k, maybe i am dumb, but i took off the right (when looking into the trunk) panel in the trunk and there is nothing there. i have a 07 tsx
Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hattrick74
k, maybe i am dumb, but i took off the right (when looking into the trunk) panel in the trunk and there is nothing there. i have a 07 tsx
In my Accord the XM brain is mounted on the right metal panel facing outward toward the body panel. You can't see it unless you're looking around the vertical metal brace.

Does anyone have a pic?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by hattrick74
I'm confused. Why do you even need to disconnect XM in the trunk? I just unplugged it at the head unit, and the DICE works fine.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by jswim99
I'm confused. Why do you even need to disconnect XM in the trunk? I just unplugged it at the head unit, and the DICE works fine.

For us Navi users, we have to keep the factory plug plugged in to keep our touchscreen. So we have to disconnect the XM unit either way or lose text to keep the XM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM
who dat lil kid?

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
- On it. We have those buttons mapped to something else right now.

- Can't do it. In order for the playlist name to happen we have to lock the iPod. Small sacrafice considering you can still use your iPod.

- Still haven't found a car but we're gonna take a stab at it anyway. It may be a shot in the dark so we'll have to rely on your guy's input. Give me a little time on an answer for this.

Hey Nick, I wouldn't mind losing control of the ipod if I can have the playlist displayed. Its going to sit in my glove dept locked up. Is there something I can do to have it done or you guys would have to reflash it? Also, could you check my order? Its been 3 days, just wondering how you guys shipped it?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by buste2
Hey Nick, I wouldn't mind losing control of the ipod if I can have the playlist displayed. Its going to sit in my glove dept locked up. Is there something I can do to have it done or you guys would have to reflash it? Also, could you check my order? Its been 3 days, just wondering how you guys shipped it?
It will be shipped to you today via USPS. You'll receive a shipping confirmation and tracking number from PayPal.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by demenion
I got my R3 kit installed on my 07 TSX, overall it works great....

BUT

sometimes it does not "activate" and I have to turn my car on/off again. Why is this happening? I find this unacceptable. It has happened 3-4 times since I got it installed 3 days ago.

Also, sometimes my iPod will not auto play, it will be initializing then stay in "pause" mode, I basically have to skip to the next track or hit the XM button on the stereo.

I just installed a R3 DICE kit (2004 TSX no nav, no xm), and have the exact same problem.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by No_sTyLe
I just installed a R3 DICE kit (2004 TSX no nav, no xm), and have the exact same problem.
Hmm...for a "rare" problem, a lot of us seem to be afflicted. I've noticed the problem doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. My car was insanely hot today, and the problem didn't crop up.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Racer

Hmm...for a "rare" problem, a lot of us seem to be afflicted. I've noticed the problem doesn't seem to be temperature dependent. My car was insanely hot today, and the problem didn't crop up.
It's not. We know exactly what the issue is, trouble is we need to record a car that it's happening to's computer.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Racer

So, is there anyone in the socal area who is having this issue? We need your car for a few mins!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
who dat lil kid?

It's not. We know exactly what the issue is, trouble is we need to record a car that it's happening to's computer.

So if a problem does exist Nick, what do we do about our units? We have to sent them back to get reflashed? I hope mine doesn't act up like that...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Racer

So if a problem does exist Nick, what do we do about our units? We have to sent them back to get reflashed? I hope mine doesn't act up like that...

I send you a new one and you send the old one back once you install the new one, that's usually how we do it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
who dat lil kid?

I send you a new one and you send the old one back once you install the new one, that's usually how we do it.

Wow...now that's good service! I'll report if it happens once I get the unit in
Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Racer

Wow...now that's good service! I'll report if it happens once I get the unit in
I'm impressed if that's the way it works--very good service indeed! Looking forward to a fix!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 PM
2006 ASM tsx

hmm my unit has a problem some times when i switch from manually selecting a song on the ipod itself.. then when i go to skip to the next album it will not do anything.. =/ and it would be great if we could get shuffle by album and shuffle all songs.. possibly added to li the preset 4 options.. ya know like. select preset 4.. then when on disc 1 it'll the regular book chapter switch, then disc 2 = album suffle, and disc 3 all shuffle =)
would be grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat... other than that so far so great with the cable!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
who dat lil kid?

yo vthree, hit me up, tell me where the hell this XM unit is? Right panel? behind the back seat or the panel to change the tail lights?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 AM
2006 ASM tsx

yo vthree, hit me up, tell me where the hell this XM unit is? Right panel? behind the back seat or the panel to change the tail lights?
right side.
in the middle of the side..
undo the plastic hook right under the rear window.
then pull that back.. you can bend it a little. [i didnt remove my whole entire liner..
just pull it back pretty far
then you can unplug the large white connector (its a 20 pin. like the white/black one on the back of your navi unit)

call me up if you need any more help.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

Hey everyone. New 2007 TSX with Navi owner here. I was wondering how long the cables are on the Dice R4 kit. I was thinking of mounting it under the center armrest with the ipod sitting in the center armrest tray. Will I need an extension cable to reach there?
Also, can I easily switch the unit between CD-C and SAT mode if its in an accessable place so I can try using the Dice with or without XM? I've got a free 3 months of XM I'd like to try out.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:28 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ipod > xm
the cable should be long enough to reach you'd have to use both the lenghth from the y and the length of the ipod cable..
so you'd have the box mounted closer to the not an ashtray. and run the cord all the way down.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vthree
ipod > xm
the cable should be long enough to reach you'd have to use both the lenghth from the y and the length of the ipod cable..
so you'd have the box mounted closer to the not an ashtray. and run the cord all the way down.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Huff
Hey everyone. New 2007 TSX with Navi owner here. I was wondering how long the cables are on the Dice R4 kit. I was thinking of mounting it under the center armrest with the ipod sitting in the center armrest tray. Will I need an extension cable to reach there?
Also, can I easily switch the unit between CD-C and SAT mode if its in an accessable place so I can try using the Dice with or without XM? I've got a free 3 months of XM I'd like to try out.
To switch between changer and XM emulation modes you would need to access the dip switches on the side of the DICE iPod module. Pretty easy.

P.S..... Today is the last day for the GROUP BUY on the DICE iPod units.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/dice-electronics-ipod-adapters-369722/
Old 08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uncald4
To switch between changer and XM emulation modes you would need to access the dip switches on the side of the DICE iPod module. Pretty easy.

P.S..... Today is the last day for the GROUP BUY on the DICE iPod units.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369722

The DICE thread has moved. Exclusive AZ member prices.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/dice-ipod-kits-exclusive-buy-acurazine-371815/
Old 08-12-2007, 03:03 PM
who dat lil kid?

Did you need to do anything special to get text to show up? NAME and TITLE only show the ??*?? for me. Also, what scroll setting do you use (ie, 10 character, 16 character, etc)?

for people who has the ??*?? showing is because you don't have the proper titles listed correctly on the mp3 itself. You have to edit the info on itunes.

I just got the unit in friday and just installed it in this 100 degree weather in dallas...this unit is the best i've had! I didn't have time to take pictures because it was so dam hot but I have to say, it too less than 5 minutes flat! Now, lets see if I get this "non-power cycle" everyone is having. Other wise, I hope Nick has a new firmware cooking for these!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

for people who has the ??*?? showing is because you don't have the proper titles listed correctly on the mp3 itself. You have to edit the info on itunes.
Excellent info. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM
who dat lil kid?

here are some pictures on a 06 TSX with Navi...XM disconnected

took a few pictures to show the general view of scrolling of the text

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Racer

Dude.... those are some of the best pictures I've ever seen of a radio. You're good. Thanks! Is it ok if we use em' for some graphics in-house?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
who dat lil kid?

go for it

btw the car is a 2006 TSX
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Racer

What kind of camera do you have?

BTW folks, we're adding Canadian TSX's to the supported list. Even though they may not have the XM button on the dash, we have success in the 06's and 07's. I expect that it will work in 05's as well with text display.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
who dat lil kid?

Canon SD630. Its really nothing special, just turn off flash and focus directly. To be honest, I thought they look like crap lol
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Racer

Canon SD630. Its really nothing special, just turn off flash and focus directly. To be honest, I thought they look like crap lol
I must really suck with a camera then.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Top Display and Dice

Not sure if this has been discussed yet or not, but here's a neat feature I piggy backed off of from the "Easter Egg" thread.

The top display (in the dash above the Navi) can be toggled between Chan, Name and Title (maybe there are even more modes not sure yet). Anyways, from the time I got the unit installed, it flashed in the top display in a wierd way. So if you hold down the audio button for around 5 or so seconds, you can toggle the display to show Chan (X - M1/2 and Dice), or you can have it display Name (title of band/playlist) or it will display Title (song name and band name). I originally had it on "Title" which is where I ran into the problem of the weird display. The problem was that it would scroll through the song title and the band title, and by doing this it was very jumpy and hard to read at times (just a quick glimpse of info from the title or band, then back again to just the title or just the band name).

So now I have it displaying only the Name which is the band/playlist and it doesn't jump around and is very legible.

These display modes can be found in the "Easter Egg" thread for toggling the XM displays. Works the same way for XM, but those of us with the Dice unit can also use this tip.

Anyone else tried this and know of any other display modes that work well for them?

Oh, and this was tried on the '07 TSX.

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec