Damn Stereo Finally Choked......what Now???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 06:38 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Stereo Finally Choked......what Now???

To make a long story short,.........my stereo choked on a CD. It tried ejecting a CD (CDR, no label), and then all of the sudden it got stuck. It has several times already, but i always loosen the CD free with a a pen-tip or toothpick (whatever I have in the car that's skinny enough). But this time, the CD wouldn't free up. Next thing I know, the LCD on the stereo goes blank. The background lighting works, but thats it! No radio (am/fm), no CD, No tape......Nothing. It doesn't even show an error code like it did other times. I tried reseting it by removing the fuse.....when i re-inserted the fuse, the stereo made a sound as though its choking.....and then died again. Its DEAD! And gues what.......i have 53,000 miles, so no acura waranty. This is getting covered by the extension warranty i got from my bank. I have had enough headache and stress dealing with Acura service for the past 2 years......always bulshit excuses. FUCK ACURA WARRANTY/SERVICE.

With my extension warranty, I can take my car to any certified mechanic shop. Luckily, my buddy own a shop, and dealswith this warranty comany. He is going to call them in the morning for authorization, but he is sure that he is going to have to replace it. So now is where the interesting part begins.......I can just have him replace the stereo, or he will give me the money for the stereo (approx $600-$700) and just keep the $$ they pay him for labor.

So, do I keep it stock.........or do I put in an aftermarket deck? I was thinking of putting in another another screen (in-dash, non-motorized), and then a deck where the ashray currently. Keep in mind that I have the navi conversion, so good sound is necessary? Any Suggestions??
Old 04-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I can just have him replace the stereo, or he will give me the money for the stereo (approx $600-$700) and just keep the $$ they pay him for labor.
That's not legal dude. You both can be charged with fraud.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro

Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's not legal dude. You both can be charged with fraud.
Thank you for that enlightening comment........but I dont remember asking anything concerning the legality of it............Are you one of those guys that lurks around websites, working as informants for acura dealerships? So unless you have something useful to add.......................(do you really need me to finish the statement)!!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Just didn't know if you were aware of that fact. In case of usefull info I do..... I'd stick with the stock head unit. For the fact that getting any aftermarket you will need some sort of plate, or cover to go around it & you will loose the 6 disk changer. It might cost more then the amount you would get. Another in dash screen would take up most of the space. I have a friend who has an in dash non-motorized screen & it look so out of place.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Pro

See, now thats what I am talking about.......usefull info!! My bad for going off at you earlier, it was too early in the morning.

Now back to the subject.........I am not too worried about loosing the 6-disc changer. One CD is more than enough for me......and I have a 10-disc changer my brother just took out of his car. I know I will need some kind of plate....I was thinking of having it done in fiberglass. I have seen it done on a TL, and it look pretty good!

Either way, thanks for the info!
Old 04-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Silver,
Wait until after this weekend for pics first. I'm gonna mount my motorized screen opened and stationary all the time in the dash. Basically, it will look like an added screen. I wouldn't mount another unit at the ashtray area due to the fact the ECU connector is sitting right there and you may not have enough room.

fuzzy,
FYI, a stock head unit purchased from Acura would cost you close to 1K or even more. You can check it out yourself.
To us, stereo nuts, the factory 6-disc changer doesn't mean jack. It eats our CDs, puts out horrible signal-to-noise ratio. With function-over-form minds, we rather have a little out of place looking (maybe not) aftermarket head unit that puts out 106db signal-to-noise than a stock head unit that puts out 86db s/n or even less. It may work for you but not for us
Old 04-11-2003, 05:31 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
The one thing with replacing the stock deck is that you'll probably need to replace the speakers as well. But if you're willing to replace the speakers and amp as well, I'd say you should definitely go for the aftermarket deck. I've replaced the headunit, speakers, and amp and the difference between this and stock is night and day.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look here for the pics that I promised.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=100399