Custom install, but need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:39 PM
o-qua tangin wann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom install, but need HELP!!

Whats good everybody? I have been reading the boards for a long time but I never post. Anyways, I plan on using my TSX for dB drag next year with the help of a friend, but as of now I’ve only redone my complete system, haven’t tuned it for competition.
I installed an Eclipse CD8051 head unit in the storage compartment; I made a mount out of plexi glass and put two blue neons behind it. Sorry, I don’t have pictures yet, I’m still working on everything (perfection ). I plan on tinting the plexi glass because the lights are a little too bright. Anyways, I have a Nakamichi PA 504 amp 200 watt amp that is connected to the stock speakers, but the speaker wire is now stinger, I plan on upgrading these speakers but not yet. I have 4 gauge wire running to the back, but I’m changing this to 0 gauge as soon as I get closer to completion of the system. Currently I am running a Sony Xplod (shitty) amp to 2 Eclipse SW8122 12inch subs, which handle about 500 watts rms each. I have a Stinger 1 Farad cap as well. I plan on doing some upgrades to reduce the resistance to the electrical system, so far I’ve only upgraded w/ an additional 4 gauge wire from the Neg. battery terminal to the body. (I know I have to get a larger alternator for competition, but for now check out sounddomain.com and search for the “big 3”, this is what I’m upgrading.) This minor upgrade has significantly reduced dimming when I had the larger system in. --> Up until last week I was running the 2 eclipse subs, and 2 Xtant X124 12 inch subs with another Xplod (shitty) amp. Shit was LOUD, but not loud enough, or anywhere near where it will be soon. I am waiting for my Xtant 1001X amp to return from the shop, as it got really fucked up w/o a cover on, wasn’t my fault so I’m getting it fixed for free. Anyways, there’s a little background on whats goin on with my car since I never post and share. *since I’m on that topic I’ll tell you what else the car has: its black, navigation, 6spd, OEM body kit, fog lights, got 25% tint all around, and is sittin on 19” chrome Zenneti 5.0’s., and I’ve had it for over a year*

Here’s where the trouble’s come in and I need your help!
1. The navigation system is fucked up beyond recognition. At first it would not work because all of the bass scratched the DVD disc badly, but then it got to its final stages in which it says: please check navigation dvd. It said this before, but now the Acura navigation screen doesn’t even come up when the car is started, and I can’t access anything at all (touch screen climate control functions, etc.) It is a very simple green box on the top of the screen with white text. I went to the dealer and they refused to do anything to it because of the 4 12’s in the trunk. They said they’d call when an Acura representative comes to the dealer, and they haven’t yet, so they were just promising me shit. I asked to borrow a new DVD from another TSX to see if it would work, and it gave me the same message, and the system did not start up. When the disc first gets put in, it says “please wait, now downloading data”, but it doesn’t d/l shit, it immediately goes back to the error message. I took it to a place that did an install on my camaro and the guy said it looks bad b/c he has no fuckin idea. The wires on the back of the navi unit have been cut and spliced and who knows what else, because there are some disconnected plugs( maybe just one). Regardless, it used to work like that. This was done the first time I had the subwoofers installed w/ a LOC. From my experience most if not all car audio install places suck, b/c they don’t care about your car. The owner of this shop closed up already. (I wonder why? Hmm…) For that reason I took out every wire from the trunk to the battery and I’ve done it all myself except for the Nakamichi amp install (which I also redid). If any of you have any input on what I can do, or where I can take it, I NEED IT!

2. The Eclipse HU is an 8v preamp only and has RCA outs for front, rear, and non-fader (sub), hooked up to my amps it sounds great (cant wait to get the 1001X back!) Anyways, today I was hooking up some Stinger RCA’s to replace the ones I had, I was organizing the wires so that it would look better behind the plexi, and I hooked up the antenna to the HU. During this process, I didn’t notice anything unusual, but when I put everything back, the audio was great, but all accessory lights are now dead. The ones behind the navi screen, the blue courtesy light up top, the one above where the storage bin was, and the neons that were hardwired. I checked all the fuses, I checked too see if there was anything noticeably wrong w/ the wires, but found nothing. I have no idea what else to check. Please give me input!!

There is a lot of knowledge at this forum, so please share. This is my first complete install and it’s taken a lot of time, b/c I’ve tried to do it right (unlike install shops), as well as the plexi glass being incredibly time consuming. I consider myself a noob, but I’ve been into car audio for several years now and know quite a bit. Thanks in advance.
-mike
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately bad install shops do exist. They're NOT all bad, and you probably live near a concetration of shops that are good (depending where in NJ you are, you probably have Newark and the city to draw from). I don't know which places you went to, but there are good ones, and you may need one (just judging by the system design you have).

The first thing you need to do is face up to the fact that your navi is f!cked up and not under warranty. Buy a Helm electrical manual and get the wire codes to fix the harness problems that must be fixed before a tech will look at it (the diagrams might be here...) Given what you say you want to do to the car, you need the manual anyway.

Once the harness is repaired, follow the procedures in the manual to try to reboot it back to life.

If fully repairing the navi harness doesn't fix it (but it must be done), then if it's possible at all, you pull your trunk stuff and go to the dealer (or another one). The odds are that navi is toast. You can only hope that they swap it under warranty, but probably not. A lot of that will depend on how "factory" your repairs are. Maybe you can come up with a story that someone tried to steal the navi and all the damage was repaired and it worked fine for a long time???

Short of that, if the HW is damaged and you can't bring it back up... you will have to find a unit at a wrecking yard, I suspect.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanna see pics of the plexiglass mount in the storage bin. Try to get pics soon if you can! Just the mount part....for now..it sounds nice!

Also, for the interior ligts...Does the upper dome lights turn on? I'm assuming your factory deck is still hooked up. I realize you're not using it for audio, but does it at least turn on still?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:30 PM
o-qua tangin wann

The factory headunit still turn ons and works, however I've stopped using it b/c the Eclipse headunit is superior, and I've had the factory cd changer changed twice due to burned cd's getting jammed. The upper dome lights still turn on, however I just noticed today that when the alarm is activated or unactivated the turn signals that usually blink, do not anymore.

oh by the way, I will take pics soon, I have a digital camera, it just looks like shiittt right now... a lot of finger prints and what not.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool..man.

So you checked every single fuse?
I know there is a fuse that is for the parking brakes. Check the fuse diagram and see if that one is okay.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
o-qua tangin wann

yep, ever single one, even under the hood (thats where the fuse pliers are).
any other suggestions!?