This is crazy, but any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is crazy, but any ideas?

OK...been thinking long and hard about this....I finally want to install a carputer into my non-navi TSX. Here's the issue: I've seen the installs of lilliput and xenarc screens where the CD storage bin and "not and ashtray" components have been removed and replaced.

This looks....ok, but not really reasonable in my opinion if you want to use it for navi and the like. The only reasonable solution IMO is to have the screen mounted where the stock navi would be.

That got me thinking....could I just mount the stock navi screen (seem to be on eBay alot lately) there and replace it with a lilliput or xenarc touchscreen?

So that brings up the point of this whole post and I'm hoping someone out there has taken apart both navi and non-navi headunits....

Would it be possible to remove the non-navi headunit, replace it with the navi headunit and not neccessarily have the stock navi functions, but retain all of the stock non-navi functions (climate control, vents, cd changer)....

That would mean that the connections would be interchangable I'm guessing, but I'm not sure how much of the navi dvd program really runs the whole headunit?

I know this whole non-navi to navi conversion has been asked over and over again, but I'm looking for something a little different I'm guessing.

Let me know if I'm on to something here or if I should just let it go and wait till the next car...that would suck so think hard!

Thanks again guys and gals!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You want to read Flopez82's thread. He is starting the Non-navi to navi conversion. He has already ordered the navi display off of Ebay. Read this:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17959

I think it's do-able, but it's gonna be ALOT of work. If you can't do it yourself, your gonna be payin' big bucks. The big thing is to consider how much you want that Navi. I got an aftermarket navi unit, but when I bought it I got it for the DVd/mp3/tv functions. I rarely ever use the Navi, and I figured I wouldn't use it much, and I really got the deck primarily for the other functions.

I'm not tryin' to discourage you from doing it, but you should think about it. The Liliput screens are actually pretty good though. One of my friends has one in his car (Not a TSX) and it's pretty tight. He's runnin media engine and has a pretty sick little setup.

I did remember one user who had a custom screen mount for the Liliput in his TSX that actually attached to his vents. He also had some screens in his headrest too. Does anyone remember who this was?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Advanced

would it be possible (i'm sure it is with enough smarts) to use the stock screen and wire that up to a carputer??? and to retain the non-navi functions

I'd do that to my non-navi (would get the ebay navi unit) if someone could figure this out
Old 12-13-2004, 08:41 AM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

I did a carputer in my ES with a lilliput screen and let me tell you the lilliput screen is not bright enough unless u are going to tint your windows 20%. check out my install I did a very in-depth write-up

my webpage

i attached a pic but it is hard to photo a screens. if i turn on the flash i get to much glare if i turn it off i get a blury shot.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ It still looks sick though...man...Good stuff
Old 12-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Tsass that does look pretty sick....great job. My biggest concern is, if I do replace the entire headunit, where does the functionality for the climate control come from...is that part of the head unit?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I believe it's a completely seperate harness that the climate control plugs into.

I know when I removed teh Non navi unit in my car, then there were about 3 plugs back there. I didn't take the time to find out what each does, but it's seems only logical they would seperate the Climate/ac controls from the radio controls, by putting them on different harnesses. Maybe someone with the Helms electrical manual can verify this though.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Anyone out there have any ideas about the HVAC controls??
Old 12-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

bump
Old 12-14-2004, 12:33 PM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Anyone out there have any ideas about the HVAC controls??

iI did wonder about this my self. From what I remember the assembly had 4 plugs on it. 3 on the top and one on the bottom. I would love to know if anyone knows what they do. I know that in the assembly there is the radio the ac controls and from the blinking anti theft light I would image something to do with the keyless entry.

Does anyone have a service manual that can check this. I would love to use that space instead of the the storage bin. so if anyone has some time and could look this up for us it would be cool.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Git er Done!!

The last time I had my head unit out (I don't have Navi) I seaparated the changer portion from the circuit board. What I found out was that it is one complete circuit board from top to bottom. There are four plugs that plug into the back of the HU. The blue one at the very bottom the is the radio power, audio outputs, steering wheel controls, etc. The other three which are green must have to do the the HVAC system. I don't believe the factory alarm has anything to do with the factory HU. The blinking anti-theft light is for the HU itself. The blinking light for the alarm is in the gauge cluster.