Could you use the stock HU for hi end install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Ben
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you use the stock HU for hi end install?

I am doing some in depth research before buying a TL.

I am considering a good SQ install through a reputable local dealer. My question is if the stock Bose head is of decent enough quality for it.

I am not a Bose fan but would like to keep the original look of the car, security being one reason.

To give an idea of my taste, I have the following in my 95 Probe: Panasonic Head, Crystal line driver, Sony Mobile ES amps, Focal speakers, Phoenix Gold EQ, ID sub.

Any advice is very welcome.

Ben
Old 04-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Advanced

I am going to use a Navone Line Output Converter to use the stock deck with my external amps. The output is only around $40 from www.navone.com. I did some searching on the LOCs and the Navone was the highest recommended. I may actually get a friend who is an EE to modify my deck and put preamp outs in the deck, bypassing the speaker outputs, to get even higher quality. If I don't think that is high enough quality then I can always add an aftermarket deck after that. However, I really don't want to screw up the asthetics of the stock deck. As for the equipment I am running, it is all targeted towards sound quality; Illusion Audio components and sub, Linear Power amps, and Precision Power crossover.

David
Old 04-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Banned

SuperDave and Ben:
Actually for the best SQ setup...you will want to tap the wires in the HU, not use a LOC. Go search on it...there were a lot of people that posted on this.

SB
Old 04-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Ben
3rd Gear

I should have posted the question more clearly.

What I want to know is if tapping the HU can generate good enough sound quality for a high end sytem. I am not interested in competition but I am aiming for beautiful sound and a great soundstage with high quality components through an installer willing to put time and effort into achieving that.

In other words, since I am planing to put a major investment (money as well as carving up the car) into achieving great sound, is it a waste of resource using the stock HU?

Ben
Old 04-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you can do this, but use of a LINE DRIVER is a MUST. The line driver will clean up and send more powerful "signals" to the aftermarket amplifiers.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:49 PM
Ben
3rd Gear

Thanks for all your input. Great. I have a Crystal line driver on my current car already and I can just put it into the new car. At any rate I'll speak with the installer I am going with before everything starts. Believe it or not, this information does have some influence on my buying a TL!!

Ben