Compustar Alarm Install... need advice and info...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compustar Alarm Install... need advice and info...

I'm getting a supposedly certified compustar dealer to install my alarm.

Now to get it to interface with my car, they want to use the following two things:

Crimestopper CANSL- I belive this is used so that the alarm can interface with the stock alarm, and have it be able to do the trunk relase.

Here's the official discription i found online:
Self Detecting and Self Learning data interface module. New SL technology. One or two wire connection to vehicle depending on whether single or dual wire CAN communication is required. Identifies the doors & trunk status, tachometer (where available), arms & disarms OEM alarm door lock/unlock, sliding doors, trunk and gas cap relase, and heated seats/mirrors and defrost. Easy install cuts installation time in half.

Crimestopper HondaSL- I belive this is what they use to get around the immobilizer that is in our cars.
Here's the official discription i found online: Self detecting and Self learning data interface module. Does not require a key. One module fits all Honda & Acura models from 1998-2006 (except prelude). Only consumes 1.6milliAMP while at rest.

With the addition of these and the alarm, i STILL supposedly will not have the ability to rollup/down my windows with the remote. That will require yet another module attached to the alarm. -- Though I dont think they are aware that the stock alarm has the ability to control the windows (i have the module that KPTechnologies was selling that makes the windows roll up with the stock alarm)-- so maybe with the CANSL (described above) i may not have to buy an additional roll up/down module.

---Now I've been reading a little about the thing on bypasskit.com and the Dei 555i that I see a lot of people using on the Acura RSX...

Can someone tell me the difference between these products, and clarify for me exactly what is and isn't needed? I dont want to lose the window up/down capability from my remote, and they're charging $70 for that as well...

The entire install is supposed to be $770 including EVERYTHING from the alarm, to the HondaSL and CanSL and the window up/down module-- all installed.

Kinda a lot more than I was originally expecting... My cap was originalyl $550 then I went to $650 thinking okay lifetime warranty let me just do this right... and now its up to $770-- and i'm like woha this is getting a little nuts... so any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Compustar This is the Alarm I'm Getting------------------------------------------------

2W900FM-AS (alarm with remote start)
Up to 3000* feet of Range
This model was introduced during the first half of 2004. It has the largest LCD of any CompuStar remotes along with a built in clock. The 900MHz technology used in the 2WSS-Series was re-tooled for a longer battery life and a quicker response time between the transmitter and receiver. Firstech engineers were the first to perfect 900MHz FM for vehicle security applications.
*Range is quoted for U.S. models only. International models will differ in range.

Available in blue (2nd car) or gray (turbo) (Includes 1 x two-way remote and 1 x one-way remote)

Basic Remote Features
Two-way paging remote
Vibration and audible notification
Run-time indicator
Turbo timer or 2nd Car
CompuGlow backlight
Multi-color LCD (liquid crystal display)
Shock sensor on/off through remote
Passive on/off through remote
Valet mode on/off through remote
Uses standard AAA battery
Built in Clock
Largest LCD of any CompuStar remotes
2004 Innovation Award Winner
Basic Alarm/Start Features
Includes dual stage shock sensor
RPS (remote paging system)
External Siren (six-tone)
Super bright blue LED
2-auxillary outputs
Dedicated trunk output
Horn honk output
Includes anti-grind and starter-kill relay
Driver's priority unlock
Ignition controlled door locks
Trunk output
Remote start
Diesel features built-in
Manual transmission compatible

ANY AND ALL HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I need to cutt costs somewhere. and since the two modules they're trying to sell me are what put me over budget in the first place, and with the addition of the window module they're adding on puts me even FURTHER over budget... i need advice...

thanks in advance guys!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the CAN-SL is not necessarily needed, its a dataface module that controls the stock alarm, keyless entry and trunk release. They can do it manually by tapping into every single wire. The same thing applies to the Acura CL's and TL's. Instead what they want to do in this case, is use the DATA module to plug right in and so they don't have to run all the wires. Personally I prefer to do it the manual way, to run every single wire than to depend on a module. The CAN-SL is a module that has to be programmed specifically for your car, its not specific to your car out of the box, i work with these data modules and so on, and I never use those at all. If that module fails, or programming gets erased, you're stuck without a lot of options ie. keyless entry, trunk release and factory arm/disarm.

If something screws up when you have it all wired direct, worse case scenario, one of these options fail, not ALL of them.

Honda SL is definitely required so you don't have to give up a key.

The Compustar system is awsome because it has 2 extra auxilary channels that have a timed output.

You know how you can stick the key in the driver door, turn it to the unlock side and hold it and the windows will roll down? Well they can run a wire directly into the door and tap that wire, program the auxilary the # of seconds it takes for it to roll all the way down. And do the same thing for roll up. Now this will only work like factory does. It in no way will reflect on you being able to vent your windows, or roll all the windows(if your car only rolls down the front ones) This should be an extra charge for labor, but a module is not required if you are only aiming for the same factory option.

I would bring your car to a shop where they will not cut corners by using a data module, i hate those CAN-SL's. Wire it direct.

MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE, that if they do wire it direct, that your car when doing remote start will not have to "unlock, start, relock" Thats a security issue. The compustar has a dedicated factory arm/disarm output, they have to run it into the door to the key cylinder. They can cheat by just getting the compu to unlock the door, which disarms the alarm, then start the car, then lock to re-arm.

Make sure its done right, no one wants there car unlocked while its starting when they are away from their cars. Certain cars you have to, like VW,Audi's but not hondas.

Absolutely a great choice in choosing Compustar, just make sure its a good install

If the honda-sl module are charing you too much, maybe I can just sell you one, ship it to you.
And if you really want, you can buy the data module from me too.

Last edited by nismo; 03-18-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:33 AM
hoss

Since you are the man that knows about alarms.........Why is compustar better than VIPER i.e. other alarms?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I'd just get a Clifford/DEI. It does all the things that the Compustar does and more. Plus with the history and stability of DEI you can't go wrong.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by hoss
Since you are the man that knows about alarms.........Why is compustar better than VIPER i.e. other alarms?

Compustar has gone through 6 generations of TWO WAY PAGING. They have been proven and tested to perform the highest range possible. With many user, friendly programable features for the consumer to access.

Viper is obviously still a very big, very corporate brand. They are known all around North America, especially on the Westcoast in the states.

Compustar started out in Alaska where they REALLY needed the remote starter, and it developed from there. Two years ago they moved their head office to Seattle, Wa. Thats about 2 hour drive from me up in Canada.

We are one of the largest retailer of it and every 6 months, they invite us down to Seattle to give them input, feedback, and changes and what we would like to see improved in these units. And they do make the changes. They are an awsome growing company.

Even as the company grows, the owner of Compustar said it himself, he's already made more than enough money, he wants the title of being the best, so he drives hard to improve it any way he can. He just wants it to be the best, he's not after the money.

Compustars are more reliable, offer further range, been in the 2 way paging industry longer, warranty is over the counter exchange, and they are always ever improving the unit.

Has built in timed outputs.
Has the option to do remote start on standard or automatic transmission WITHOUT having to buy extra components.
Has the option to do Diesel vehicles as well, built in without having to buy extra components.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by hoss

Compustar has gone through 6 generations of TWO WAY PAGING. They have been proven and tested to perform the highest range possible. With many user, friendly programable features for the consumer to access.

Viper is obviously still a very big, very corporate brand. They are known all around North America, especially on the Westcoast in the states.

Compustar started out in Alaska where they REALLY needed the remote starter, and it developed from there. Two years ago they moved their head office to Seattle, Wa. Thats about 2 hour drive from me up in Canada.

We are one of the largest retailer of it and every 6 months, they invite us down to Seattle to give them input, feedback, and changes and what we would like to see improved in these units. And they do make the changes. They are an awsome growing company.

Even as the company grows, the owner of Compustar said it himself, he's already made more than enough money, he wants the title of being the best, so he drives hard to improve it any way he can. He just wants it to be the best, he's not after the money.

Compustars are more reliable, offer further range, been in the 2 way paging industry longer, warranty is over the counter exchange, and they are always ever improving the unit.

Has built in timed outputs.
Has the option to do remote start on standard or automatic transmission WITHOUT having to buy extra components.
Has the option to do Diesel vehicles as well, built in without having to buy extra components.

The shop I worked at before sold DEI products. First generation of two way paging for Viper. Viper 690XV and the 691xv, both two way paging one with starter one without. They would lose programming for no odd reason, and it wouldn't necessarily be the remote, it would sometimes be the antenna, or sometimes even the brain. Since this occured many times, and we couldn't pin point the component, we had to send all 3 pieces back. The remote is ugly as well. When you send it back, you are out of an alarm for 4-6 Weeks. My installer had one in his car, he sent it in 3 times within a year before he finally gave up and tore it out. DEI rep came back and gave him the 791xv instead. He installed that, and still had to warranty it twice and then he tore it out too. I switched stores and sold him a Compustar. Never had a problem since and he loves it.

plus the DEI is probably more expensive
Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
hoss

well I just got an e-mail with a deler in this area and i will be calling them tommarrow to get an estimated price.

thanks for your information......it has pretty much helped me make up my mind!