CD Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 12:36 PM
eCo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CD Jammed

My CD changer jammed on me today. I know why, too. I had trouble feeding a CD with a custom label into it the other day, and now it can't spit it out. This is distressing since I have a large number of custom CD's that I've made from my vast vinyl collection. So....

Does anyone have any tips for getting this unit unjammed?

Secondly, I haven't cared for this changer much anyway. First, I prefer cartridge style changers. Second, I don't think it sounds that great (I've read other folks blame the speakers, but I suspect a large part is the CD player). Anyone have some recommendations for 3rd party replacement in my '02 TL-S?

TIA,
eCo
Old 03-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Banned

Re: CD Jammed

Originally posted by eCo
My CD changer jammed on me today. I know why, too. I had trouble feeding a CD with a custom label into it the other day, and now it can't spit it out. This is distressing since I have a large number of custom CD's that I've made from my vast vinyl collection. So....

Does anyone have any tips for getting this unit unjammed?

If the label didn't jam it up, you can press the eject button and the loader will try and spit out the disc. If you look in the opening you'll be able to see it. While it is trying to eject it, take another CD and stick it in the slot so that just the edge of the second CD is *over* the top edge of the stuck CD. Press down gently on the edge of the stuck CD with the second CD and it will come out.

The rollers for the changer blow and it is very picky about disc thickness. Too thick and it won't spit it out. Labels are a big no-no for two reasons: (1) they add thickness and will almost certainly cause the changer to get stuck, and (2) the heat from an in-dash player has been known to curl or warp the label and *really* jam up the works and get a disc stuck. Hopefully your current jam is a result of #1 above, and not #2.

Do not use *any* labels on CD-Rs in the changer. CD-Rs will work fine (although even some non-labelled ones can get stuck because they sometimes come thicker than store-bought CDs) but use a Sharpie or other marker to label them.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:43 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot of ppl have problems with CDs getting jammed...first year Honda/Acura intergrated 6 disk in-dash CD changer....bound to have problems. Like pianoman41 said...you can take another CD and to remove the stuck CD, and DO NOT USE ANY Labels on them. The rubber roller mechanism uses the shinney lacar coating of the CD to get friction to remove the CD, if it doesn't have it, it can remove it....I have CD-Rs that are coated for laser printing, they don't come out either. I just took it to the dealer and told them that it gets jammed...and they replaced mine.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:43 AM
eCo
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I fixed it before the forums came back up (they seemed to be down all weekend), so didn't have the benefit of your adivce.

It was stuck in the eject cycle, and I could see the edge of the cd from the door (which was open). So I reached in with a hemostat and managed to pull it out. The player and the CD are okay.

I believe it's the thickness that's the problem. My labels are sticky enough for the rollers. Those rollers are just set too tight. I wonder if they could be adjusted a bit to accept labeled as well as normal cd's.

I've never had a label peal in the heat, but that's sure something to look out for. Maybe some label brands are less heat tolerant than others?

I make a ton of CD's and really like to snaz them up with labels. I'm bummed to the max that this unit won't play them. It makes we want to go back to my old 12 CD cartridge unit in my old car. I like the cartridge style better anyway. It's easier to take the cartridge into the house and change out the cd's than doing them one at a time in the car. So in the end, I'll probably shop for a new unit and put a cartridge style changer in the trunk or something.

Thanks again,
eCo
Old 04-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey eCo, I am interested in buying your factory '02 HU if you are getting a new one. You can E-mail me at johnnyb_s@yahoo.com if you are interested in selling. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:11 AM
eCo
Advanced

Anyone know if the stock HU can accept an external cd changer? That would be the simplest solution. Otherwise, Johnny, I might be in touch.

eCo
Old 04-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

It can accept a stock CD changer...but you might need a converter or something. It's not that hard to do actually, and that was the alternative that I was going to take.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:48 PM
eCo
Advanced

It can accept a stock CD changer
Hunh? Isn't that what I have?

eCo
Old 04-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry about the misclarification. You can get a "stock" CD changer from the Dealer that will work with the factory HU or you can get an aftermarket one that will also work with the factory HU. When I say "stock", I mean an external one that you can put either in the trunk or glove box of your car. I have found a 6 disc and a 10 disc that will work with the Bose HU in 99+ TLs.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:09 PM
eCo
Advanced

I have found a 6 disc and a 10 disc that will work with the Bose HU in 99+ TLs.
Then why are you interested in a new dash unit?
Old 04-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Money is tight and was hoping to get a good deal on a used '02 HU by trading my HU (in case you need to put back the factory HU) and some cash. Probably better off though getting the changer I suppose...