Boston, Eclipse, or JL Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston, Eclipse, or JL Audio

I want to upgrade everything with high end components...Is any of this stuff good? Does anyone here like it?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:43 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

Focal
Old 04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

Focal? never heard of it...is it expensive?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:56 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it can be
Old 04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
10th Gear

It must be good, this really high end place down the street from me stocks Focal, and Eclipse, JL and Boston...Can anyone explain the difference or is all good shit?

If you can't tell, I have no clue...Will $1500 be enough to get a decent set up to replace the Bose system, and get a 10" sub and amp, while keeping the head unit?

Is 10" enough bass or is 12" the way to go...also will keeping the head unit prevent the new speakers from being louder than the stock system?

Finally, as far as a box goes...I play hockey and need some space for my trunk...what is a good solution to that...

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Oh yeah, I have a 2001 Cl-S with 50,000 miles on it...just had the tranny replaced, under warranty...And they gave me a free loaner too, so it's all good.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Flap.

well the highest end speakers of any of those comanies will be very good, the bostons highest level are amazing, but also very expensive.. you seem to have underestimated the expense of the project. 1500 will get you a decent sub and amp, and some decent components, but if you dont replace the HU you will need another amplifier to power the speakers..... the price jumps up rather quickly, especially when you want to use te high end stuff.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:23 PM
aka gimmesomesugar

$1500 doesn't give you a lot to work with if you also want a sub. I live in Canada...prices are higher here so I can't really tell you how to spend the $1500.

The top Focal line is called Utopia. I figure these components will probably run you almost $1G USD give or take a hundred or two. That's retail...you could probably get a deal on them for around $600 on ebay or if you shop around.

The next step down is the K2 Power line. I have the 165 K2P components in the front and the 130 KP components in the rear. Both sets cost me a total of $1900 CAD(about $1400 USD). But, like I said, car audio is more expensive up here due to exchange rates, duty, customs, etc. I have no idea how the Utopia line is(I assume it can only be better) but these components are extremely good. Playing opera or classical music in my car is like a night at the theatre.

The next tier down you have the Polyglass line. I assume these are more affordable but they should provide exceptional sound quality compared to other brands.

Finally, the "budget" line is called Access. These are still very good, but if you're going to cheap-out, then you may as well consider other brands.

In that case, I would consider the JL Audio components. Pretty good, but may sound a bit sharp on the high end. But, that's only if you have a very discerning ear.

I wish I could help you with Eclipse or Boston Acoustics. but I don't have any experience with them. Remember, there are dozens of brands out there. Do not rule out a brand just because they are priced affordably. Everybody's tastes are different. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Go into a shop and listen to what they have on display. Buy what sounds good to you. Also, stay away from shops that pressure you into buying or recommending the top-line equipment without determining your needs. Listen and buy from the sales guy who is willing to spend the time to educate you and then to figure out what you need from that.

http://www.focal-america.com/

Focal's site
Old 04-14-2004, 08:34 PM
10th Gear

Wow...Thank you guys so much for the advice, It's sincerely appreciated...Focal sounds like some good shit, and I think I'd have no regrets if I went with Utopia...but like you said Satin, ultimately I'll buy what sounds best to me...It just such an artificial environment in a store versus the cabin of an enclosed vehicle that I can't totally determin what will sound the best. Perhaps I'll spend a little more than the 1500 (i'm new at this--but I would also like to get a PowerBook G5 this summer too) and do it right the first time instead of being pissed off. I feel I do have a discerning ear, but never considered upgrading my car audio...I have an iPod with Shure E2 ear buds that sound incredible...When I first got the acura i was pleased with the bose versus my old car's stock system, but after listening to the iPod through the Shure's the Bose sounds kinda shitty now. Once again, thanks for the help, this is a great forum.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my JL XRs...they sound really good, and they were only $325.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 PM
fellow MASShole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boston pro series 6.5 is what im rockin and they sound money
Old 04-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Bagged hybrid

You really need to audition these speakers...they all sound different. Try to find MB Quartz, Diamond, or Dynaudio comps too.

I've used boston rc620, focal utopias, and now boston z6s. Focal utopia tweets are super accurate and clear while the z6s woofers give more mid-bass punch.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:06 AM
10th Gear

If I could describe what I'm looking for, it would be loud, crystal clear, accurate reproduction all throughout the range...I'd sacrifice exloding bass for sound quality...But i'd still like a nice heart pounding thump too, which may require a 12" sub...I'm not sure...From what I've been reading about these lines, the Utopias seem to be awfully compelling as do the Boston Z6s...Ideally I'd like to replace the six speaker bose system with six new speakers, but i've been reading that I should consider just two in the front, the tweeters, a nice sub and amp and forget the 6x9s...Any merit to that?

My musical tastes are very broad...I'll listen to everything less country...Classical, Billy Joel to Eminem to Korn to Simon & Garfunkel
Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Diamond Audio Hex s600. Cant really be beat for the money. go to ebay.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Drifting

Diamond, Rainbow, Focal, MB Quartz Q series.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:45 PM
One who Laps

Originally posted by MaCe
boston pro series 6.5 is what im rockin and they sound money

I Agree!
Old 05-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Advanced

They are right, you need to listen to all of them and see what you like best... Everyones taste is different, I'm running MB Quart QSD-216 and I personally think they are the cleanest sounding speakers ever but someone might think they sound terrible...

Boston makes some KILLER products though, I'd go with Boston or MB Quart