basslink is hardly noticeable....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 07:08 AM
I keeps it real

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basslink is hardly noticeable....

I installed my basslink this morning and so far i am dissapointed. The bass seems farely lackluster in just about everything i have played. (underpowered, distorted at times, barely even audible)

I have never heard one before so i am not sure what to expect. Although i cant imagine it is supposed to sound like this.

I followed the install threads to the T so i am not sure if i did something wrong...or if this is just what it sounds like. Below is my connection info.

1. I spliced the Basslink speaker inputs into the bose amplifer. (rear channel of basslink to red/green blue/black of bose amp)

2. Basslink is powered and grounded with 8 gague wire.

Oh and to clarify, a non car phanitic would get in and say it sounds really good. But a car freak would say it deffinetely needs improvement.

Can anyone tell me if that is correct? am i missing somthing? is this just a mediocre product? Help! I just wanted step up the sound a bit and i feel like i have to strain to know ive done anything.

To give some perspective, my car freak friends were in my ride today with the music up and couldnt tell i had installed a sub. Is that possible? Is the improvement that suttle that you cant really tell its there? or is it pretty significant and i just have something set up wrong.

Appreciate any help other basslink owners can offer.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Flap.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well you bought an all in one unit... its a setup that costs a few hundred bucks, and it wasnt designed for mind blowing bass or for people with picky tastes in music. its only like 200 watts right? it cant possibly sound perfect. you get what you pay for. maybe a "real" system would suit you better? even if it simply means moving to a better sub (10W6 ) with an outbaord amp, a real signal cables, instead of line level hookups. A new head unit would also help you if you are displeased with overall sound quality, while also proving high powered preamps for future projects :P
Old 05-30-2004, 03:05 PM
I keeps it real

I chose the basslink route because i didnt want to lose the steering wheel controls and the overall look of the console. I wanted to keep the look stock, but step up the sound a bit. So much for that idea because most songs i can hardly tell i installed anything new at all. I figured with 200 watts, you should at least be able to tell there is something new in my trunk.

So this is the end huh? This is what its all about, the basslink is just crap? i really didnt want to install a new head unit.

Back to the drawing board....
Old 05-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a line level converter and a JL 250/1 and a 10w3V2.....it would be like $500.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Flap.

^werd thsi would work as well

dont try to cheap out on the converter though.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:35 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

i say you upgrade to something nicer man
Old 05-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
Just get a line level converter and a JL 250/1 and a 10w3V2.....it would be like $500.

I have a JL 250/1 with a 12W3v2 and it compliments the factory Bose system very well. I thought about a Basslink also, but didn't want to waste the money on it to only realize it wasn't enough bass for my tastes. I think you'll be much happier with a separate amp and sub. My setup is definitely noticeable, but nothing that's going to be heard by the whole neighborhood.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:47 AM
I keeps it real

Thanks for the comments guys. I think the basslink is goin back on ebay and ill be in the market for an amp and sub very soon.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
If you don't notice a difference, YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED INCORRECTLY! You should at least feel & hear a difference. It's not going to pound like a good 12, or anythnig, but you should hear a BIG difference from stock. You sure it's setup right? X-over set, gain control? Sure it's not a defective unit? How is it aimed in the trunk? Do you have the bass control on the stock deck up? Then again you could just be used to loud anoying trunk gobbling stereo systems. So the basslink doesn't sound good to you.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:46 AM
I keeps it real

fuzzy, refer to the opening post for my installation method. I think the only real variable would be connecting the speaker inputs. It is listed above. It is correct isnt it?

If so, then its intalled correct but just doesnt sound good. The bass on the head unit is up all the way too. I notice in a lot of songs, i play with the remote gain to see the difference the basslink is making in the song - on max, i can barely notice it, on min, i can barely notice it. Its so bad that if try not to remember which direction is max and which is min and just roll it back and forth, i actually cannot tell by the song if i turned the gain up or down.

I really want to get the most out of this. Do you see anything wrong with my setup? If so let me know. Hell ill even take pics if you will look. I dont want this to be a waste of cash because it is intalled wrong.

And to your point. I AM USED TO TRUNK GOBBELING SYSTEMS. However, i am [smart/old/savvy/not a complete fucking retard] enough to know the capability of 200 watts. It shouldnt be so low that i cant distinguish it from the 6X9's in the back.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:49 AM
I keeps it real

oh, and for the controls on the bass unit itself, i have tried every possible combo. Every setting seems lackluster but i finally settled at gain 75% crossover 45% and bass boost 75%.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

So how do you have it connected? You are running the speaker level inputs spliced into the rear speakers? Or a line level splice?
Are you using a line output converter?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I keeps it real

Fuzzy, I am running the speaker level inputs spliced into what i was told are the rear speaker outs on the bose amp. (red/green blue/black) No line output converter.

Would a line level splice or line converter help anything? Sounds like yours is working well. What is your set up? I suppose if i emulate that exactly, I will know if i have a problem

Thanks...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Flap.

well a line level converter would take signal from the rear speakers and preamp it 4v in most cases so that the amp in the basslink will have somethign better to work with... this might be a good investment as these are usually only ~20 bucks. also check your grounds.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I have a line output converter. Spliced into the rear speakers at the amp. I can get you the colors tomorrow. Mine has an adjustable gain. From that I have RCA's into the basslink & a remote turn on connected to the remote wire at the stock amp.

I wonder if you tapped the rear speakers before going into the amp, or after they come out? If it was before it would make sense you are not getting much output. You need to get them after the amp.

The other route is to splice in RCA's into the signal wire from the head unit to the amp. This is a line level signal by default anyway.

I'll look the colors up tonight.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I keeps it real

Appreciate everyones help. I followed the color code for what i was told are the rear speakers comming out of the amp. Let me know the colors when you get a sec and that should help determine the problem. It sounds like i should get a line level converter anyway to at least ad the 4 volt push.

I think ill look around for one this weekend and change my install. The sub is deffinitly working, but litterally indistinguishable from the 6X9's. That cant be right.

The ground is solid as far as i can tell. I used SilverKnights advice and grounded both the bose amp (spliced into the existing ground) and basslink to a solid ground in the trunk. Each are grounded seperately with their own 8 gauge wire.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Flap.

did you dremmel the paint around the ground point? bare metal makes a work of difference, good luck.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 AM
I keeps it real

Hobo, i have each wire grounded to a screw in that round metal plate in the floor of the trunk. The plate isnt painted so it is solid metal contact. Not sure about the integrity of the plate though. Is that a solid enough ground?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 AM
I keeps it real

I think i found the problem. According to this diagram: http://silverknight.clickhere2.net/i...radiowires.JPG (copy and paste -link wont click)
I have the basslink connected to the speaker ins on the bose amp. Only head unit power would explain the weak sound. Going to switch it to the speaker outs tomorrow which will hopefully resolve this problem.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Those are the colors I was going to post. I have mine going to:
blue/yellow
gray/white
brown/white
red/yellow

Turn on:
yellow/white

Grounded to the same point you have as per silverknights instructions. For over 2 years, so it's a good point.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:31 PM
I keeps it real

Problem solved fellas

Rewired the basslink to the speaker outs on the bose amp and all is well. The Infinity actually puts out a decent amount of bass. Not the sharpest or most refined sub ive heard, but it sounds good enough that i think i can resist modding my system for the rest of the time I own this car.

Kick ass, now i can devote more cash to performance mods. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Good to hear!

The basslink gets ragged on so much. I was shocked it sounded as good as it does.