Bass and treble controls...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 04:22 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bass and treble controls...

I am planning on replacing the stock speakers with better 6 1/2 inch coaxials. I am planning on leaving everything else stock if possible. I know that this won't be optimum but will it improve my sound enough to be worth the effort?

Also, I think that the stock Bose POS speakers have been really pre-emphasized by the Bose EQ unit to make up for their poor HF response. Therefore, I am a bit afraid that simply replacing the stock speakers with REAL speakers will produce WAY too much high end and actually sound worse. Am I correct? Or will they sound a lot better than stock by just turning down the treble control?

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION... If it turns out that the BOSE EQ really screws up aftermarket speakers, and I have to do the bypass routine... DOES THAT MEAN THAT I WILL NO LONGER HAVE ANY BASS OR TREBLE CONTROL WITH THE STOCK HEAD UNIT? OR does the EQ unit just add some sort of additonal "BOSE HOSE FAVOR" and I would now be working with an essentially flat response BUT STILL HAVE SOME basic Bass and Treble control through the Head Unit? I know that the fader and balance controls are handled by the Head unit... BUT what about the Bass and treble? I don't want to buy another head unit or additional power amp at this time. I just want to add some good aftermarket speakers and make them sound the best that I can with the stock system (for now anyway)

Am I screwed either way? Leave the EQ in and sound like sh*t from way too much preemphasis, or bypass it and then have absolutely no control of the response?
THANKS FOR ANY RESPONSE AS TO WHERE THE STOCK BASS AND TREBLE CIRCUITRY IS ACTUALLY LOCATED...
Old 03-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

? what he said?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Racer

I would like to know this also. I went to a local car audio shop this weekend and they said aftermarket door speakers would sound like $hit without a new HU. He explained why they would sound like $hit by saying exactly what you suggested. Is this true or is he just trying to sell me on a new HU?
I am perfectly satified with my stock HU and would like to keep it but want to increase my sound quality. I put subs in my Jeep by simply tapping into the back speakers thru an RCA convertor and to the amp and my subs sounded great.

Where is AUSTIN when we need him!!!
Old 03-25-2002, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I still have bass/treble control after bypassing the Bose EQ.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Pro

Thanks brewboy!

Thanks for an intelligent reply.

So you're saying that the EQ unit just adds some unneccsary EQ to compensate for the crappy Bose speakers. If that's the case, will aftermarket speakers sound OK without bypassing the EQ unit or will they be WAY over emphasised at the high end and be useless?

In any case, If I end up bypassing the EQ unit, you are saying that the Head Unit does at least still provide some basic bass and treble control for the now improved aftermarket speakers?

I've read a lot of the threads regarding bypassing the EQ unit and have downloaded the schematic, etc. This was MOST helpful, but nothing ever really explained HOW TO GET TO THIS EQ UNIT? Can someone help out with how best to get to the connectors to do the bypass mod? How much of the damn car do I have to dismantle? And how do I go about doing it?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!

I'll keep you informed 03TLTYPES as to what I find out. I'm probably going to go out and buy some speakers today. I have already taken the passenger's front door panel off and would be ready to at least hear what one sounds like just swapped out. It's still a can of worms to actually mount something else though. There is very little room, and the exact spacer will be required , etc. P.S. HOW HIGH WAS YOUR RPM IN 5TH WHEN DOING 155MPH????
Old 03-25-2002, 02:13 PM
Racer

P.S. HOW HIGH WAS YOUR RPM IN 5TH WHEN DOING 155MPH????
I wish I could tell you, to be honest I was only paying attention to the speedo and mainly the road. I have no clue where my RPMs were at.
I can tell you that I got to 110 real quick and it took atleast 1 - 1 1/2 miles to get from 110 to 155. If I ever get the balls to try again I will drop it in 4th and hopefully climb faster. If I do try this I will take a picture at 155 in 5th.

I would appreciate you updating me on the speaker situation.

You da man!
Old 03-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Thanks brewboy!

Originally posted by Southbound
Thanks for an intelligent reply.

So you're saying that the EQ unit just adds some unneccsary EQ to compensate for the crappy Bose speakers. If that's the case, will aftermarket speakers sound OK without bypassing the EQ unit or will they be WAY over emphasised at the high end and be useless?

In any case, If I end up bypassing the EQ unit, you are saying that the Head Unit does at least still provide some basic bass and treble control for the now improved aftermarket speakers?

I've read a lot of the threads regarding bypassing the EQ unit and have downloaded the schematic, etc. This was MOST helpful, but nothing ever really explained HOW TO GET TO THIS EQ UNIT? Can someone help out with how best to get to the connectors to do the bypass mod? How much of the damn car do I have to dismantle? And how do I go about doing it?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!

I'll keep you informed 03TLTYPES as to what I find out. I'm probably going to go out and buy some speakers today. I have already taken the passenger's front door panel off and would be ready to at least hear what one sounds like just swapped out. It's still a can of worms to actually mount something else though. There is very little room, and the exact spacer will be required , etc. P.S. HOW HIGH WAS YOUR RPM IN 5TH WHEN DOING 155MPH????
1. Whether or not aftermarket speakers will sound good with the Bose EQ in circuit would very much depend on the characteristics of that particular speaker. So, I can't answer that unless you try it out yourself.
2. Yes, as before, you will still have bass/treble control after bypassing the EQ.
3. I removed the entire center console up the the HU. You can then reach behind the HU and unplug the smaller harness with the wires you need and pull them down to the drivers footwell to do you needed splicing/tapping. When complete, just tape everything back up and replug in the harness to the back of the HU.
Good luck
Old 03-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Racer

There was a post a few weeks ago from a member who just added some 6.5s and said everything sounded MUCH better.

The subject name was something to the effect of cheap mod or sound upgrade or something. Since the search function is disabled, it would be a liitle harder to track.

Hey, is the email notification disabled too??
Old 03-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
I think any upgrade to the Bose system is a good idea. My stock system sounds okay one day and muffled the next, even when using the same CD. Not sure what that is about, but I say go ahead. Maybe Bose is best suited for home stereo. The TL I test drove sounded muffled too.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hey just a quick question..

how do you adjust the bass and treble on the 2002 HU?? I took a quick look at one this morning at the dealer, but I couldn't find it..

Also, if anyone has upgraded their 02 HU to aftermarket one, do you wanna sell it??
Old 03-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Edub-TL
Hey just a quick question..

how do you adjust the bass and treble on the 2002 HU?? I took a quick look at one this morning at the dealer, but I couldn't find it..

You press the right adjustment knob in to scroll through all the adjustments. First press pulls up bass, rotate to adjust, next press is treble, then balance, then fader.