Notices

Backup Camera DIY

 
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 PM
  #81  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cutmasterj
Thanks PhiSigBrotha for the DIY on this. I installed this camera (http://gooddeals18.zoovy.com/product/SHKL110) this evening and everything works perfectly.
Do you have any install photos and screenshots? I'm curious how yours compares to the Pioneer and Wendy cams.

Thx
jonesmtta4 is offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM
  #82  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 42
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys
Ive got a UK Honda Accord. Do you know if i will need a PAL or NTSC camera to carry out this mod?
Thanks.
sly666 is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
  #83  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question. I'm not sure it matters for this application. Mine is an NTSC tho.
Reach is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM
  #84  
Registered Member
 
Yamadr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Jersey
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I have an idea as to how to mount the camera. I was going to install it inside the trunk behind the license plate and drill a pinhole on the trunk lid and license plate for it to capture the image. On the inside you would not see it because it will be hidden by the trunk lid liner.

What do you guys think?
Yamadr6 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM
  #85  
Registered Member
 
jay427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 44
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamadr6
Help

I have an idea as to how to mount the camera. I was going to install it inside the trunk behind the license plate and drill a pinhole on the trunk lid and license plate for it to capture the image. On the inside you would not see it because it will be hidden by the trunk lid liner.

What do you guys think?
You're opening up a huge can of worms if you go that route. 1. I don't know what the law says about drilling your license plate. 2. Drilling through the exterior of your car can easily spread rust in the long term. If done properly, this idea could probably work however, but I would check everything before cutting anything. hth
jay427 is offline  
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM
  #86  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a good idea to drill through your trunk. You're just asking for rust and water issues.
Reach is offline  
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
  #87  
Registered Member
 
SlimTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,209
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Rearview on my '05


Last edited by SlimTL; 11-05-2007 at 05:27 PM.
SlimTL is offline  
Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
  #88  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!

Originally Posted by SlimTL

What did you attach to your DVD/navi system in the trunk and how did you get a computer to play on the screen?
jonesmtta4 is offline  
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM
  #89  
Registered Member
 
SlimTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,209
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jonesmtta4
What did you attach to your DVD/navi system in the trunk and how did you get a computer to play on the screen?
It's actually easier than it appears in the pics. I connected my portable DVD player to the navi. THAT'S IT!! The web browser on the screen is actually from the TV show Motorweek.
SlimTL is offline  
Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
  #90  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 42
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm this backup camera mod works with 2006-07 UK and proberly Euro model Accords too.

If your in the UK then here is the parts list i used available from Maplin Electronics.

0.1" Socket Housing Part No. FY94C (trim off 3 sections to make it 7 way)
Socket Housing Pins Part No. YW25C (10 pins per pack)

I didnt bother adding a female Phono connector, i just chopped off the camera signal lead phono plug and soldered it stright to my plug wires, and used heat shrink to isolate them.

The camera was from flea-bay it has a good 140 degree view and infra red LEDs for night. THIS ONE I can recommend the seller, it arrived the next day! The camera image is very good. It also comes with approx 5 metres of signal cable.

I extended the link that joins the 2 pins on the connector about 2 foot so i can add a switch later to turn off the camera, or convert it for a DVD input without removing the all the trim again.

Thank you.
sly666 is offline  
Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
  #91  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the Wendy camera off eBay (quick shipping, wow) - and I'm planning on doing the install tonight.

1) What color is the backup light power cord to tap into?
2) Is everybody using those little tap connectors to get power?
3) For ground, is there a wire, or just mount to chassis?
4) To remove trim, will a trunk trim remover tool work? I.e. the type that slides behind the black plugs, and pull them out?

I have searched all over the forums and nobody has talked about these details - I'm sure I can figure them out, but I'd rather not have the chance to make a mistake and blow a fuse.

Last edited by Newmanium; 11-24-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Newmanium is offline  
Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM
  #92  
who dat lil kid?
 
buste2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newmanium
I just got the Wendy camera off eBay (quick shipping, wow) - and I'm planning on doing the install tonight.

1) What color is the backup light power cord to tap into?
2) Is everybody using those little tap connectors to get power?
3) For ground, is there a wire, or just mount to chassis?
4) To remove trim, will a trunk trim remover tool work? I.e. the type that slides behind the black plugs, and pull them out?

I have searched all over the forums and nobody has talked about these details - I'm sure I can figure them out, but I'd rather not have the chance to make a mistake and blow a fuse.

1. you can't miss the power cord wire, it's one wire that splits into two, black and red
2. i found it easier to just use a T tap connector
3. whichever side you are mounting the camera, use the tail light bolt to ground it
4. IMO its much easier to remove one tail light, the the side you're grounding, then remove the trim...its just 4 plastic clips so they pop out...

in all, took 30 min or less...really easy
buste2 is offline  
Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 PM
  #93  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it all finished - for anybody in the future who's a complete newb like me, here's a few tips for things I wasn't sure about at first:

For the backup lights, the striped green cable is the power, black is ground. A tap-in connector for 18-22 gauge worked fine.

Routing the video wire through the little plastic license plate light was a big pain, probably spent at least 30 minutes trying different arrangements to see what worked best. I could only get it through on the left side of the cover, and the wire was big enough that the cover can't close completely, so it's a little ajar (not much, good enough for government work).

I went ahead and took off all the trim on the trunk (flip up part), made it a lot easier to see how to arrange things.

At Radioshack, they sell a wire with an RCA plug on one end, and the other end has tinned wires ready to attach to the harness. This was very convenient - 6 ft was a perfect length.

For attaching the Wendy camera to the exterior, I used some 3M trim/molding attachment tape that seems to hold everything well (so far) - it's double-sided, looks pretty heavy duty.

End result? Looks good! The camera is awesome, love the fact that it's so cleanly integrated with the navigation. Thanks for the help!
Newmanium is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
  #94  
Registered Member
 
Yamadr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Jersey
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
It's actually easier than it appears in the pics. I connected my portable DVD player to the navi. THAT'S IT!! The web browser on the screen is actually from the TV show Motorweek.
Looks Great!!!
What Cam did you get?
Where did you get that auxiliary DVD input mounted under the NAV DVD Player in the trunk?
Yamadr6 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
  #95  
Registered Member
 
Yamadr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Jersey
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newmanium
I just got the Wendy camera off eBay (quick shipping, wow) - and I'm planning on doing the install tonight.

1) What color is the backup light power cord to tap into?
2) Is everybody using those little tap connectors to get power?
3) For ground, is there a wire, or just mount to chassis?
4) To remove trim, will a trunk trim remover tool work? I.e. the type that slides behind the black plugs, and pull them out?

I have searched all over the forums and nobody has talked about these details - I'm sure I can figure them out, but I'd rather not have the chance to make a mistake and blow a fuse.
Could you please post the ebay link to the Wendy Cam. I have not had any luck finding it.

Thank you
Yamadr6 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
  #96  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150185280878

It wasn't listed on eBay when I first looked - I just sent her a private message through one of the listed auctions asking for the next-gen camera where the lense doesn't protrude, and she put up a new listing right away that I could purchase from. I forgot to mention Acurazine, so maybe you can even get a discount off that price.

Hope that helps, it's a great camera, I just backed up from work at night in the rain, and I could see everything behind me (there were some lights to help illuminate things).
Newmanium is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 02:54 PM
  #97  
Registered Member
 
SlimTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,209
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamadr6
Looks Great!!!
What Cam did you get?
Where did you get that auxiliary DVD input mounted under the NAV DVD Player in the trunk?
Thanks for the compliments! The camera is from ebay user Wendy (swm902). Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

And the Navi converter is from www.tvandnav2go.com , here's the link for that as well. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html
In order to keep the factory warranty on the navigation, you must purchase the plug-n-play connector. This also makes the installation a lot easier and you don't have to cut or splice any oem wires.
SlimTL is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 06:35 AM
  #98  
Registered Member
 
Yamadr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Jersey
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Thanks for the compliments! The camera is from ebay user Wendy (swm902). Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget

And the Navi converter is from www.tvandnav2go.com , here's the link for that as well. http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html
In order to keep the factory warranty on the navigation, you must purchase the plug-n-play connector. This also makes the installation a lot easier and you don't have to cut or splice any oem wires.
Thank you for the link and info.
I have a few more questions.
Do you have to loose the XM radio in order to use this unit?
How do you select the TV DVD option? Press auxiliary?
Where did you mount the DVD unit?
Thanks once again for your help.
Yamadr6 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 AM
  #99  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) no, you don't lose XM. this has nothing to do with your audio system, its visual only.
2) it comes with a small switch to put on the aux video input. you can wire your own fancy switch if you'd like to. properly wired, reverse camera comes on automatically when you put your shifter in reverse.
Reach is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 AM
  #100  
Registered Member
 
Yamadr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Jersey
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
1) no, you don't lose XM. this has nothing to do with your audio system, its visual only.
2) it comes with a small switch to put on the aux video input. you can wire your own fancy switch if you'd like to. properly wired, reverse camera comes on automatically when you put your shifter in reverse.
What do you do for sound?
Yamadr6 is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM
  #101  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 40
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The camera looks pretty cool.
1. Is it doable in 08 TSX, the FAQ said it's for 06&07 only.
2. Is there any instruction on how to tap the reverse light available? It seems the hardest part for me.

Thanks.
bobosky is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
  #102  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it will work in the '08. That disclaimer is mostly to qualify that it DOES NOT work in the 04 & 05 models, which had an earlier version of the navi drive hardware.

To tap the reverse light, just pull back the carpet from the trunk lid and all the wiring is right there! locate the bulb that is the reverse light. there will be 2 wires going to it, the black one is ground, and the colored one is hot in reverse. That's what you need.
Reach is offline  
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM
  #103  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 40
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool.
Thanks Reach.

Originally Posted by Reach
Yes it will work in the '08. That disclaimer is mostly to qualify that it DOES NOT work in the 04 & 05 models, which had an earlier version of the navi drive hardware.

To tap the reverse light, just pull back the carpet from the trunk lid and all the wiring is right there! locate the bulb that is the reverse light. there will be 2 wires going to it, the black one is ground, and the colored one is hot in reverse. That's what you need.
bobosky is offline  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
  #104  
2006 NHBP TSX w/ Navi
 
Mr330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: WLA
Age: 39
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's mine, just finish installing it!





Mr330i is offline  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM
  #105  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 40
Posts: 467
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Would buying the factory camera and wiring for the TL work also? I've looked and found part number 32109-SEP-A00 for the camera sub wire. It's about $12. The camera itself is part number 39530-SEP-A01 and is about $540. I can't find a picture of the clip on the sub wire so I don't know if it will work, but I'd assume it's the same since it plugs into the same spot.
White92 is offline  
Old 12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
  #106  
Registered Member
 
CGTSX07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so I just attempted this today...and failed multiple times . I am not sure what I am doing wrong here. When I connect the harness that I made, the nav switches over...but all I see is black faint static. Are there any things I can rule out?
CGTSX07 is offline  
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 AM
  #107  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You connected up the power correctly, right?

If that's all good (use multimeter to double check), double-check harness connections, make sure you didn't do it backwards or anything.
Newmanium is offline  
Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 AM
  #108  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like that means power is getting from the light to the nav, but either:

a) power isn't getting to and through the camera correctly to turn it on
or
b) the video signal is being messed up on the way to the navi, perhaps in your connections for the video wires.

Double check your t-tap connections to the backup light, and tear down and carefully resolder the harness.
Reach is offline  
Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 PM
  #109  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 40
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will this work on 06 TL or it's for TSX only?

Thanks
brabusamg55 is offline  
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 AM
  #110  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot confirm this, but I believe you need an 07+ TL. The way to know is to look at the back of your dvd navigation unit. If you have the plug that the harness goes into, then it works! Please let us know if you have that plug on your 06 TL's navi unit.
Reach is offline  
Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM
  #111  
Registered Member
 
CGTSX07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Age: 34
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i've concluded that it is not an issue with the power since I get no static at all when I take out the taps. i've made two cables so far and I have no clue what I am doing wrong. does anyone have a spare cable or would anyone be willing to make one for me?
CGTSX07 is offline  
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
  #112  
Registered Member
 
bignoodleboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas
Age: 34
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wish we can do this on the 04-05... :-(
bignoodleboi is offline  
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
  #113  
Registered Member
 
SlimTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,209
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Actually this mod can be done on all Acura's with the 20-pin navigation system. I have this installed on both my '06 TL and '05 TSX. It's been a while since I did the install, so I can't remember exactly which wire goes where. However, I did use the plug and play harness which is 99% easier and doesn't void the factory warranty.

Check out my link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=56
SlimTL is offline  
Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
  #114  
Professional Newbie
 
madmanmax3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Actually this mod can be done on all Acura's with the 20-pin navigation system. I have this installed on both my '06 TL and '05 TSX. It's been a while since I did the install, so I can't remember exactly which wire goes where. However, I did use the plug and play harness which is 99% easier and doesn't void the factory warranty.

Check out my link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=56
More info please! I would love to add a backup cam. What module is that on your car? How much wiring is involved?
madmanmax3000 is offline  
Old 01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
  #115  
Registered Member
 
SlimTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 1,209
Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
The install takes about 2-3 hours. The module under the navigation unit is from tvandnav2go.com . The wiring is not as hard as it seems. It just takes determination and a lot of patience. The only part of the car that was removed was the trunk lining to run the wires to the camera and reverse light.

Follow this thread. It might give you more answers.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=2&pp=25
SlimTL is offline  
Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM
  #116  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe there should be a way to do this on the '04/'05 Nav units without the need for a Dom's NavtoTV unit, no? The '04/'05 MDX's which uses a similar Nav unit as the '04/'05 TSX Nav unit supports the backup camera, so in theory it should work.

Now if someone with an MDX can find out where the extra few wires from the backup cam gets plugged into the nav unit.... I think we can have it figured out
supraken is offline  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 PM
  #117  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supraken
I believe there should be a way to do this on the '04/'05 Nav units without the need for a Dom's NavtoTV unit, no? The '04/'05 MDX's which uses a similar Nav unit as the '04/'05 TSX Nav unit supports the backup camera, so in theory it should work.

Now if someone with an MDX can find out where the extra few wires from the backup cam gets plugged into the nav unit.... I think we can have it figured out
I have both 07 MDX with backup camera and 04 TSX. Do they use the same dvd unit?
QFCK2001 is offline  
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
  #118  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, the 04 TSX uses a different navi unit.
Reach is offline  
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
  #119  
私はより良い
 
cybereclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The 818z
Age: 28
Posts: 424
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im finally doing this project!!!

anyone know if this camera will do the trick??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REARV...spagenameZWDVW
cybereclipse is offline  
Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
  #120  
Senior Moderator
 
Reach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ffx.va.us
Age: 35
Posts: 4,036
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find! I haven't seen that yet, but its the same seller we've been calling "Wendy". I'm gonna dub this the "Wendy's cam v3". It should be nice, give it a shot. I've got the v2.
Reach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup Camera DIY


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.