AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   Backup Camera DIY (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/backup-camera-diy-362179/)

PhiSigBrotha 03-29-2007 12:42 AM

Backup Camera DIY

12 Attachment(s)
This DIY is for hooking up a DVD player or backup camera to you 2006+ TSX. A DIY was posted a while ago by someone else but its no longer up.

There is an empty port on the back of the DVD unit since the ’06 and ’07 TSX share the same DVD rom as other Acuras with a backup camera. This is where the input for the camera’s video signal plugs in.
Attachment 56394

Supplies needed for video input plug

8pin .100 KK housing with pins
Attachment 56395
Female RCA plug from Radio Shack
18 Ga speaker wire
Solder (optional)
Heat shrink or electrical tape

Please forgive the crappy pictures. I just got this new camera and haven’t mastered all its little functions.

Start off with the 8 pin plug.
Attachment 56396

Trim one pinout off to make it a 7 pin plug. There is a top and bottom of the plug. The bottom has slots that expose the pins.
Attachment 56397

Next cut about 1.5”- 2” of the wire and separate the positive and negative sides to get a single strand of wire. Strip down a small portion of each side and crimp pins the bare wire (solder if you would like). This makes the jumper part of the plug.
Attachment 56398

Cut about 12” of the speaker wire and strip both positive and negative ends. One end gets crimped or soldered to the female RCA (center is video, outside is the ground). Crimp or solder the small pins that came with the connector to the positive and negative wires on the other end.
Attachment 56399
Attachment 56400

At this point if you want to use heat shrink, slide it over the speaker wire. Insert one end of the jumper into slot 6 and the other into slot 7, and then insert ground into slot 2 and video into slot 5. Slots 1, 3 and 4 are left empty. The slots are numbered 1 through 7 looked and the end that doesn’t go into the DVD Rom.
Attachment 56401

This should be the finished product. It accepts the video signal from either a camera or DVD player.
Attachment 56402
Attachment 56403

To hook up a camera just mount the camera where you would like. I mounted mine here.
Attachment 56404

Run the wires into the trunk lid through one of the license plate light covers. Tap into one of the reverse lights for power. Then the video signal to the adapter we made earlier. If the wire from the camera is long enough to reach the adapter just plug it in. If not (like mine) I had to cut the male RCA off the camera and reattach a female RCA. The same kind used for the adapter. Then I ran a single RCA with male ends to connect the camera to the adapter.

That’s all that’s needed to hook up a backup camera to the TSX.
Attachment 56405

Later when I get a DVD player I’ll add to the DIY how to hook it up. Right now I don’t remember exactly which wire to tap into and don’t have time to look for it and get pictures. I’ll also add how to hook up the camera and a DVD player to the navi system with the use of a Bosch relay.

defjukie 03-29-2007 12:07 PM

Nice detailed write up. I'm especially looking forward to your DIY on the DVD player, since I plan on doing this soon.

Do you know of a good place to get the required molex connectors online? I saw them at outpost.com but they come to $15+ with shipping :ugh:

PhiSigBrotha 03-29-2007 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by defjukie
Nice detailed write up. I'm especially looking forward to your DIY on the DVD player, since I plan on doing this soon.

Do you know of a good place to get the required molex connectors online? I saw them at outpost.com but they come to $15+ with shipping :ugh:

not sure where else to get them. i got them from my local frys electronics/outpost.com. if u have a shop that sells computer building supplies thats your best bet.

luther

PhiSigBrotha 03-29-2007 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a MUCH better picture of where the 7pin port is.
Attachment 56393

luther

flyinfry 03-30-2007 07:39 AM

Where did you get the backup camera?

tsalti 03-31-2007 12:59 AM

Great writeup! Probably the best one i have seen for noobs like me. So once you hit it in reverse the navi screen goes to that video input? And im assuming that once you put the car in reverse, the camera should be receiving its power from the tail lights? Also, assuming that the camera i get uses 12v power, will the tail light supply enough power for it?

Rapmaster0 04-12-2007 02:59 PM

So is the quality the same as Doms?? And if I do add an DVD player, how would it switch from DVD to NAV?

S14 n Tsx 04-12-2007 04:14 PM

Hey Luther,
so thats all I need? camera, 8pin .100 KK housing with pins, Female RCA plug from Radio Shack
18 Ga speaker wire, Solder (optional), Heat shrink or electrical tape.

PhiSigBrotha 04-16-2007 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rapmaster0
So is the quality the same as Doms?? And if I do add an DVD player, how would it switch from DVD to NAV?

never seen the quality of doms unit but its not bad. depends on the camera. eventually ill upgrade cameras to one with night vision. within the next couple weeks ill buy the dvd player and add to the DIY. it will switch from NAVI to DVD when the dvd player is turned on (if the player has a 12v remote turn on lead).

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
so thats all I need? camera, 8pin .100 KK housing with pins, Female RCA plug from Radio Shack

yup

S14 n Tsx 04-16-2007 02:10 AM

how does it come on? Does it come on when you put in reverse? I have a MT so would that make any differences?

Rapmaster0 04-16-2007 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by PhiSigBrotha
(if the player has a 12v remote turn on lead).

Yeah I don't know how many players have one except the Myron and Davis one. The websites that i look for doesn't list all the specs but keep me updated! I am going home in the next two weeks and plan to buy everything so I can install as soon as i get home.

S14 n Tsx 04-16-2007 03:53 AM

too bad its doesn't work with 04-05 model navi.

Rapmaster0 04-16-2007 06:42 PM

Where did you buy the molex adapter from?

Rapmaster0 04-19-2007 10:50 AM

Any updates?

mikeucla 04-19-2007 02:51 PM

First of all, mad props to PhiSigBrotha! This is probably one of the easiest mods to do, so easy a newbie like me feels semi-comfortable doing it!

I think he mentioned the molex adapter was purchased from outpost/fry's electonics. You could probably find it at a computer parts store.

If anyone has done this mod successfully, I have a couple of questions. First, I'm having trouble removing the trunk liner. The 3 screws come out easily, but how do i remove the 5 or 6 clips? Do i just use a flathead screwdriver and pry them out? I don't want to break anything so I wasn't using much force when I tried this. Wanted to make sure before I tried again with more force.

Also, is grounding the camera necessary? The camera I bought was a cheap one, intended for use in the home, so there is no grounding wire. How critical is this step?

As for tapping into the reverse light, is there only one wire there? Where have you guys tapped into the light? right next to the bulb? or behind the rear passenger seat?

Rapmaster0 04-20-2007 12:41 AM

But say if I have a manual, how does it go from navi to video??

mikeucla 04-20-2007 01:13 AM

But say if I have a manual, how does it go from navi to video??

Manual/automatic makes no difference. I have a manual myself. The jumper is what tells the dvd-nav system to display the auxiliary input instead of the normal map display. When the reverse gear is engaged, if there is a jumper in the dvd-nav, the auxiliary input will be displayed. If there is no input, all you get is a black screen.

Phisig, great write up! I'm just waiting for the dvd diy you're going to prepare so that we can play dvds. not sure what a bosch relay is, but i'm looking forward to learning!

Rapmaster0 04-20-2007 02:34 AM

I think i know what he is talking about, there was a guy that did a relay with Dom's navi and I'm pretty sure its similar. But I want to know so i can put this on ASAP!

Reach 04-22-2007 11:44 AM

You don't need a relay to install this, only if you want to also add an extra video input, as would be necessary to run a playstation or dvd player in your car in addition to the backup cam.

mikeucla 04-22-2007 02:14 PM

I screwed it up, and need your help!

I thought I'd reach out to all the knowledgeable people here. I was trying to install a backup camera, but I screwed it up pretty bad. Lesson learned. I have no business doing anything like this, because I don't know squat about electonics. The DIY posted by PhiSigBrotha was simple enough, but I guess it was still beyond what I could do. I was 90% of the way there, everything functioning perfectly, when the camera had an outside power source. As soon as I tried to tap into the reverse lights for power, I think I caused a short or something. Turns out, I think the camera I purchased had a ground wire after all. I think if I cut the power wire, there were 2 wires inside that wire, one of which was the ground. I tapped into the outside wire, effectively tapping into both, so when I put the car in reverse, I think I got a short. Nothing wrong with the info posted here, just me being a dummy. I really hope it doesn't set me back too much. Anyone here that's pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, can you offer me some help/guidance? From the research I've done, I think I need a new reverse light switch. Here are my symptoms (pretty bad, actually):

1. Dash doesn't function. Lights up initially (welcome screen) then goes dark. No speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temp, odometer, trip meter, trip computer functions, all gone.

2. Turn signals don't operate, reverse lights don't work, windows won't operate.

3. Car drives fine, navigation is fine, bluetooth is fine.

If anyone could offer me some help/guidance, I'd really appreciate it! I hope it's a simple fix and doesn't set me back several hundred dollars...

I'll make a new thread too, to try to reach more people...

The price of stupidity...

Reach 04-22-2007 03:41 PM

OK, calm down, its likely that you did cause a short, but thats why your car has FUSES.

Check the fuse panel by the hood release switch. You're looking for a dark / miscolored fuse among the bunch, that'll be whichever one you blew. Replacements are $0.25 at any auto parts store. That is the most likely (and least expensive) explanation, I hope this is it for you.

and YES your camera has a ground wire that is seperate from the hot +12v line. post here first next time and I (and others) will be glad to try to help.

mikeucla 04-22-2007 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
OK, calm down, its likely that you did cause a short, but thats why your car has FUSES.

Check the fuse panel by the hood release switch. You're looking for a dark / miscolored fuse among the bunch, that'll be whichever one you blew. Replacements are $0.25 at any auto parts store. That is the most likely (and least expensive) explanation, I hope this is it for you.

and YES your camera has a ground wire that is seperate from the hot +12v line. post here first next time and I (and others) will be glad to try to help.

Thanks Reach, I appreciate it. I sure hope it's that simple. I actually panicked after I screwed things up and just dropped it off at the dealer. I'm kind of regretting that and I hope my dealer is honest. So if a fuse is blown, does that mean electricity is no longer flowing along that path? After the short, I noticed that when engaging the reverse gear, it wouldn't even switch over to a blank display. Before I tapped into the reverse lights, I figured the worst that could happen would be me blowing out the reverse light bulb or breaking the camera, both of which are relatively cheap. I had no idea I could affect something as important as the dash.

ZhenyaF 04-25-2007 10:39 AM

anyone in NY doing this install for others?

1slicktL 04-25-2007 11:44 AM

why cant i find theses part anywhere ...NY sux came someone link me to a sight

mikeucla 04-25-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1slicktL
why cant i find theses part anywhere ...NY sux came someone link me to a sight

http://shop3.outpost.com/%7BRG-b8VuA...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

try that. outpost.com. pretty sure it's the same thing phisigbrotha used, just different color housing.

even though i screwed it up the first time, this is a pretty easy mod, relatively inexpensive, and really helps with parking.

PhiSigBrotha 04-26-2007 12:50 AM

thos are the exact ones but red. thats the place i got mine from but i went to their local store in phoenix.

luther

Unity520 04-26-2007 03:30 PM

Im in NY I created the wire, tested it and it works. Just getting ready for installing camera.

Rapmaster0 04-29-2007 10:31 PM

What about the DVD player? How can I get that to work with it?

Rapmaster0 05-06-2007 04:09 PM

Anything new on this mod?

Jonesi 05-06-2007 04:32 PM

What about the DVD player? How can I get that to work with it?

Work with it? With the backup camera or just work DVD with the Navi?

Rapmaster0 05-06-2007 04:39 PM

DVD with Navi.

Jonesi 05-06-2007 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just plug the video from the DVD player into this:
Attachment 56392

Then you just need to wire the audio..

He even has the title above the picture as: "This should be the finished product. It accepts the video signal from either a camera or DVD player."

Rapmaster0 05-06-2007 04:48 PM

Yeah but how would it switch from Navi to DVD? I understand that for a backup camera that it would automatically switch when it is put in reverse, but what about when it is in drive?

Reach 05-06-2007 06:23 PM

Wire a switch to send +12v to complete the circuit man. Also include a diode on each line so as the devices don't both turn on or you light up your reverse lights and pop a fuse.

If you can't figure that part out, you probably shouldn't be messing with it, no offense please.

Rapmaster0 05-07-2007 02:36 AM

None taken.

PhiSigBrotha 05-07-2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Reach
Wire a switch to send +12v to complete the circuit man. Also include a diode on each line so as the devices don't both turn on or you light up your reverse lights and pop a fuse.

If you can't figure that part out, you probably shouldn't be messing with it, no offense please.

the camera is a basic instal at least to me. dvd player mod will be on its way hopefully soon. girlfriend is taking up most of my free time and money. the diodes work and im going to try wiring in a relay to switch from camera to dvd and dvd to camera.

luther

Rapmaster0 05-07-2007 01:30 PM

Instead of wiring a diode can't I just put a switch on the 12v coming out of the DVD player and to the back of the molex connector to complete the circuit instead of using the jumper?

Reach 05-07-2007 02:31 PM

Yes, you could do that if you wanted it to be for DVD playing only, but if you want to have switched inputs for DVD + backup cam (I thought that's what we're talking about) then you have to add the diodes.

mikeucla 05-07-2007 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by PhiSigBrotha
the camera is a basic instal at least to me. dvd player mod will be on its way hopefully soon. girlfriend is taking up most of my free time and money. the diodes work and im going to try wiring in a relay to switch from camera to dvd and dvd to camera.

luther

Looking forward to the DVD mod! The camera was pretty basic, even though I had a snafu. The experts here helped me out a lot though. Working like a charm now. Would be great if we could switch the camera on while driving. Kind of like an extra rear view mirror. And with the wide angle lens, it should virtually get rid of any blindspots.

I'm wondering how the audio is going to work on this DVD mod. Wish I was an electrical engineer. :tomato:

Rapmaster0 05-07-2007 03:42 PM

In the new 06 they have an AUX input that I can connect the audio out from the DVD player. The only thing now is trying to find a dvd player with the 12V output.