Avincar speaker upgrade for TSX - Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005 | 11:05 AM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by elduderino
I'll correct that, thanks.

I have more raw drivers but we have to make the spacers by ahnd and assemble the kits. Won't be able to ship any more orders until later next week.

We are looking at getting the spacers made out of house and reducing the time it takes to make the kits...

slobeatz, have I already emailed you the install instructions?

I haven't received them yet.
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:01 PM
Littering and.....

Yea! I received my speakers today and installed them immediately. First off let me say that I these speakers are replacing my Alpine Type S/ Type R speakers that were put in a year ago, so this is a comparison to them. All I can say is that this speaker set up is amazing. Here's a list of what I've noticed:

The speakers seem to be a bit more efficient than the Alpines were. At 26, the sound is as comfortable to my ears as 30 was before.

The bass from the 6x9's perform as well as the Alpine type R's (I dropped the bass to 0 when I installed them, the alpines were at +2)

The imaging is the most dramatic difference. Before, the sound imaging was below me, now it is in front of me. This is important because when I open my windows and moonroof, there is almost no difference in volume. Before, I would have to turn the stereo up if I wanted the windows open.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with this upgrade. Installation was easy, and the results have been wonderful. Thanks for a great product eldud!
Old 08-02-2005 | 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I don't want to sound impatient, but I can't wait for mine.

I just got through rewiring someone else's car stereo to kind of hold me over until then. ;-) (Not really, their H-U died...)
Old 08-02-2005 | 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slobeatz
Yea! I received my speakers today and installed them immediately. First off let me say that I these speakers are replacing my Alpine Type S/ Type R speakers that were put in a year ago, so this is a comparison to them. All I can say is that this speaker set up is amazing. Here's a list of what I've noticed:

The speakers seem to be a bit more efficient than the Alpines were. At 26, the sound is as comfortable to my ears as 30 was before.

The bass from the 6x9's perform as well as the Alpine type R's (I dropped the bass to 0 when I installed them, the alpines were at +2)

The imaging is the most dramatic difference. Before, the sound imaging was below me, now it is in front of me. This is important because when I open my windows and moonroof, there is almost no difference in volume. Before, I would have to turn the stereo up if I wanted the windows open.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with this upgrade. Installation was easy, and the results have been wonderful. Thanks for a great product eldud!

Couple of quick questions... a) Did you replace the rear door speakers as well?, b) Did you disconnect the rear door speakers?
Old 08-03-2005 | 06:09 PM
minibike wheelie king ;-)

Elduderino, are there any instructions for the CL's or do you just have them for the TSX. Great write up guys. I can't wait to install mine. I got them last week but I have been moving. The suspense is killing me. Have any CL owners installed the speakers yet?
Old 08-03-2005 | 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gixxster
Have any CL owners installed the speakers yet?
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/avincar-stock-speaker-upgrade-review-305828/
Old 08-03-2005 | 08:50 PM
Intermediate

I'm interested in this speaker set up. I just got my TSX last June and I've been reading about this speaker set for a while. Although it might not be until sometime next year before I order them.

As already asked, what about the rear door speakers? Are they part of the sonic equation?

The stock sound is not all that bad, but I do notice a slight tone shift after cranking it past about 20. It's like the bass and extreme highs cut back some changing the vocal tones especially. It's not a dramatic change like GM car stereos do, but I do notice it. Might that be a function of the amp or just the way the stock speakers handle the increased volume?

Joel
Old 08-03-2005 | 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jakesdad
I'm interested in this speaker set up. I just got my TSX last June and I've been reading about this speaker set for a while. Although it might not be until sometime next year before I order them.

As already asked, what about the rear door speakers? Are they part of the sonic equation?

The stock sound is not all that bad, but I do notice a slight tone shift after cranking it past about 20. It's like the bass and extreme highs cut back some changing the vocal tones especially. It's not a dramatic change like GM car stereos do, but I do notice it. Might that be a function of the amp or just the way the stock speakers handle the increased volume?

Joel
Joel,
You might be hearing the "auto loudness' feature that was discoverd in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/testing-how-flat-tsx-head-units-preamp-outs-314155/
Old 08-06-2005 | 12:17 PM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by jlukja

Couple of quick questions... a) Did you replace the rear door speakers as well?, b) Did you disconnect the rear door speakers?

sorry for the late reply, I've been vacationing at Cape Cod since wed. w/ no internet or cable To answer your questions: I did not replace the rear door speakers, I had Alpine Type S speakers in the rear-doors but took them out about 3 months ago (before I got the avincar kit). I just placed electrical tape over the speaker adapter to keep the contacts from getting wet.
Old 07-21-2006 | 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
Impressions:
The tweeters sound quite bright at the moment. I expect them to break-in over a period of time, just like elduderino said. They do deliver quite crisp highs but I don't get that ringing sensation I was getting with the OEMs. One thing I immediately noticed is that the soundstage is elevated higher up. Voices now come from in front of me instead of down and to the side. You definitely can hear the difference between a cymbal and a sung or spoken “s”. In the OEMs they both sounded similar. Another thing that surprised me is that I could hear drums coming from in front of me. I thought that drums would be handled more by the mids and the 6x9s. I guess thats what people refer to as "imaging". I got a much better sense of instrument placement in the soundstage in front of me.
Wait... does the Avincar system come with a crossover?
Old 07-21-2006 | 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TallestTSX
Wait... does the Avincar system come with a crossover?
It comes with a 1st order crossover for the tweeters (a capacitor).
Old 07-22-2006 | 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vidgamer
What about the 6.5s? Do they get a Xover as well?
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:37 AM
Team Owner

What about the 6.5s? Do they get a Xover as well?
The 6.5s use the existing crossover in the OEM amp.
Old 07-25-2006 | 10:44 AM
Instructor

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very particular when it comes to this stuff.

So, the stock system has one channel going to the front tweets, using the high pass filter that's built into the amp. Then another channel goes to the front 6.5s with a low pass filter, again built into the amp. Then I assume the rear door speakers are getting a full-range signal sent to them from the third channel, and the 6x9s are getting a low-pass signal to finish the system. Is that all right?

As for the Avincar system (assuming I'm just unplugging the rear door speakers, not using them), the fronts get a full range signal sent to the 1st order crossover to limit the signal to those that Avincar believes are best for that set. Then the second channel goes to the 5 1/4s, again I'm assuming through an Avincar-supplied Xover. Is all that correct? Is the final channel then sent through the

Just to be clear, I'm trying to weigh what I think the system will sound like if I just throw those in versus what a professionally/personally installed and tweaked system will sound like. The fact that Avincar supplies a crossover to the front tweets mean that - as has been stated - there is likely a fuller range of sound coming from them as the guys at Avincar send more signal there. If they're just using the stock crossover, I fear that there will be some overlap there that I don't care for. The rear speakers aren't as important, but I am curious how they're ran.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry if my questions are too anal-retentive and detailed. It's just my nature.
Old 07-25-2006 | 11:34 AM
Team Owner

So, the stock system has one channel going to the front tweets, using the high pass filter that's built into the amp. Then another channel goes to the front 6.5s with a low pass filter, again built into the amp. Then I assume the rear door speakers are getting a full-range signal sent to them from the third channel, and the 6x9s are getting a low-pass signal to finish the system. Is that all right?
Yes, that is correct. Don't know if you've seen it but here are some FAQ regarding the TSX sound system: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/general-faqs-about-tsx-audio-system-289830/

As for the Avincar system (assuming I'm just unplugging the rear door speakers, not using them), the fronts get a full range signal sent to the 1st order crossover to limit the signal to those that Avincar believes are best for that set. Then the second channel goes to the 5 1/4s, again I'm assuming through an Avincar-supplied Xover. Is all that correct?
The Avincar speakers is a straight speaker swap. The rear deck 6x9 speakers still get only the low freqency signals filtered at the OEM amp (as far as I know this is two channels, L&R) . The rear doors (which you propose to disconnect) still get the full range signal (2 channels, L&R). The Avincar 5.25 drivers in the front doors still get the crossedover signal from the OEM amp (2 channels, L&R). The Avincar tweeters in the dash get the crossedover signal (2 channels, L&R) from the OEM amp and, in addition, have the Avincar crossover in series with the tweeter. To summarize, no OEM crossovers are bypassed or disabled. The only additional crossover is the one in series with the dash tweeter.
FYI here are some threads on the Avincar speakers:
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/tsx-oem-speaker-upgrade-portland-304082/
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/pre-order-tsx-cl-s-avincar-speaker-upgrade-kits-315684/
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/update-avincar-acura-speaker-kits-327295/

Just to be clear, I'm trying to weigh what I think the system will sound like if I just throw those in versus what a professionally/personally installed and tweaked system will sound like. The fact that Avincar supplies a crossover to the front tweets mean that - as has been stated - there is likely a fuller range of sound coming from them as the guys at Avincar send more signal there. If they're just using the stock crossover, I fear that there will be some overlap there that I don't care for. The rear speakers aren't as important, but I am curious how they're ran.

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry if my questions are too anal-retentive and detailed. It's just my nature.
No worries with the questions. That's why this forum is here. You can find a lot of TSX audio system and Avincar info if you do a search on threads started by "elduderino" in this Audio & Video section. elduderino is our local audio expert and is also the vendor who sells the Avincar speakers. He hasn't been active recently but, if you're interested, you can check out his website http://www.avincar.com/ and give him a call (his number is listed on the website).
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:05 PM
Intermediate

if you guys dont like the stock speakers, but dont want to spend a lot of money, why dont you get a good quality line driver/eq and do done with it? theres really not a whole lot wrong with the bose system unless you want to go a little beyond ordinary. in which case...i will try to post pics when im done with the simple and factory type installs(meaning no wood or fiberglass work)
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silforty Element
if you guys dont like the stock speakers, but dont want to spend a lot of money, why dont you get a good quality line driver/eq and do done with it? theres really not a whole lot wrong with the bose system unless you want to go a little beyond ordinary. in which case...i will try to post pics when im done with the simple and factory type installs(meaning no wood or fiberglass work)

could you explain a little more with the whole line driver/eq thing? I'm an audio noob.
Old 07-25-2006 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

im not good at explaining too many things but i will give you a direct link to the line driver i want and going to get within 2-4 weeks....

http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/pr...48&l1=5248&l2=

That right there is a good bang for the buck and its great overall. I like it because it can be used with the COMPLETLY facotry equipment and doesnt need anything else to install except for a few ft of 12-18 gauge wires. like i said before, if you plan on not spending much, this is the way to go since you already have a bose system. you only need to tune it to have a better sound. I dont care if you do plan on upgrading speakers too, it will still work for anyone. Even with what im trying to do, im still going to use this unit. Changing the speakers alone wont help a lot, so start with a decent eq and if you decide to move on, then do so. Don't you guys ever wonder why car stereo sounds like sh*t compared to home audio? its because of the whole situation, where the speakers are positioned, what materials its made from, less space, and of of course road noise. that is when the EQ comes in handy, it can make things pretty interesting.....if you dont know what im talking about......next time you have a small speaker if your house, test it out......place it at a high location, then put it in a corner of a room, pay close attention to how its played even though its the same volume....that is exactly how a EQ can effect your music.
Old 07-26-2006 | 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

AFAIK, the TSX doesn't have a Bose system, and the speakers definitely can use replacing! For a stock system, it's pretty good -- easily better than most I've heard. However, many aftermarket speakers are going to be better. Car manufacturers just aren't going to put expensive speakers in a car where 90% or more of their customers won't care.

EQing cheap speakers just isn't as good as a flat signal going to better speakers. Before, I had to turn the treble up; with the Avincar setup, I have treble and bass controls at 0. EQs can make a difference, but I like a more "purist" strategy, at least first.

TallestTSX:

Elduderino said something about he thought that there was a crossover on the door speakers, but if I understood correctly, it was just to remove the very low bass. So you could replace the door speakers with full-range speakers if you wanted (just not a "sub"), assuming that is correct.

In the Avincar kit, you could also replace the simple tweeter crossover with a more expensive 2nd order crossover to have less overlap.
Old 07-26-2006 | 04:48 PM
Intermediate

that "cross over" is crap, i can do the same results with a electrolytic cap. sorry if i spelled that wrong. i've don it beforebesides the fact that you can play mp3's and what not, why you think people get head units? because its more flexable and gives out certain power ratings over a factory unit. for the line driver i've selected, its PREamped and gives you more tunning abilities then a head unit. and as i've said before, you can always upgrade afterwards. its just a good little start with no facy install, mods, or big wires going everywhere. thats why i would recommend it. but everyone has their own opinion......i guess im alone on this one
Old 07-26-2006 | 04:53 PM
Intermediate

besides, decent pair of speaker usually need more power then the head unit can dish out, so there for you spend more money then you wanted to. the EQS is good for factory equiped all the way down to competition, and why do i say this? because lots of iasca competitors use audiocontrol products. sure beats the hell out of a set of 4 cheap speakers for 300 bucks if you ask me
Old 07-26-2006 | 11:00 PM
Racer

besides, decent pair of speaker usually need more power then the head unit can dish out, so there for you spend more money then you wanted to. the EQS is good for factory equiped all the way down to competition, and why do i say this? because lots of iasca competitors use audiocontrol products. sure beats the hell out of a set of 4 cheap speakers for 300 bucks if you ask me
What exactly is your intent? You're going to put the AudioControl unit between the OEM HU and the OEM amp? The HU has a loudness contour processing (i.e. its EQ varies with volume) - there is a thread around here somewhere. I have yet to see a post where anyone can say that any EQ'ing goes on in the amp (crossover points are determined here though), but it might. So you have to compensate for EQ in the HU, maybe in the amp, and have zero flexibility in determining crossover points between speakers. I'd say the money's well better spent on the speakers.
Old 07-27-2006 | 02:25 PM
Team Owner

besides, decent pair of speaker usually need more power then the head unit can dish out, so there for you spend more money then you wanted to.
We're not talking about other high power sets of speakers. This thread is specifically for Avincar speakers and the whole point to these speakers is that they do not require more power. They sound great driven by the OEM HU and amp. If you want to talk about other speakers feel free to start another thread or contribute to an already existing one. I felt the OEM speakers were just OK. To me they sounded boomy, not very detailed, and lacked clear midrange. To me its seems a better option to replace the crappy speakers than it is to equalize the signal going to the crappy speakers to compensate for the speaker's shortcomings.
the EQS is good for factory equiped all the way down to competition, and why do i say this? because lots of iasca competitors use audiocontrol products. sure beats the hell out of a set of 4 cheap speakers for 300 bucks if you ask me
Its not 4 speakers but six. They aren't cheap, they're well made and sound great. Nobody asked you.
Old 08-17-2006 | 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

how do i take out the 6x9 grille......
i ply them open but I am only able to open the side that's furtherest from rear window.
I think there are two white screw type of thing in the trunk, however cannot get them off....
little help thx
Old 08-31-2006 | 08:49 PM
Instructor

I just got my Avincar upgrade installed a couple of days ago and have some comments on the speakers.

First, I got the 8 speaker upgrade, replacing all the speakers in the car. My first impressions are the speakers are a definite upgrade from stock. The speakers produce a tight clean sound with noticeably more midrange than the previous set. I am disappointed, though, in the bass. I have read a number of reviews that rave about the bass production of the rear 6x9s, but my first impression is that I have actually lost bass from the stockers. That being said, the speakers are still much better than the stockers. I'm not one that needs to have ghetto-rattling bass, nor do I love to impress bystanders by how loud my speakers can play. I prefer to appreciate the sound quality, not quantity. These speakers fit the bill for me very well. I would appreciate a little more bass to help fill out the sound.

Nice job Ken.
Old 09-01-2006 | 10:41 AM
VP Electricity

Look, kid, ease up a minute.

The avincar speaker kit is specifically for people who want better sound - who would probably have BOUGHT a better sound upgrade with the TSX, if it had been available - but don't want a sub or an amp upgrade.

I tell every single person who contacts us that the speakers are NOT the best you can get, IF you're doing an amp upgrade - but I also say that I think they are the best you can get IF you are retaining the OEM amp.

Do I have an avincar speaker system in our TSX? No, I don't, and I've stated that many times - I have an all DLS system with a fiberglass 10" enclosure, an amp, and front components.

But not everyone wants to spend $1k+ on a system, and not everyone wants to have a sub in the trunk.

I'm an audio control dealer, but I don't usually use line drivers in this car, as I find it's not often needed with our installs.

Have you had a chance to hear an avincar speaker system? It is quite good for being run off of the factory amplifier.
Old 09-01-2006 | 10:43 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by vidgamer
To add a little technical detail - the OEM amp has 8 channels. The tweeter channels have a series capacitor on the board of the amp. Our capacitor combines with this one to create a new value.

The 6x9 output also has a lowpass crossover in the amp, but this one is "active" or electronic - it's done with op-amps.

The doors seem to run full range. I didn't test them in ours before jettisoning the OEM amp.
Old 09-01-2006 | 03:35 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Ken - don't sweat the idiot, his posts give me a headache. How much credit does somebody deserve with spelling/grammar like that...
Old 09-01-2006 | 05:29 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Ken - don't sweat the idiot, his posts give me a headache. How much credit does somebody deserve with spelling/grammar like that...
Yeah, we pay for 12 years of English teaching and he learns on instant messenging...
Old 09-02-2006 | 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trophyhead
.... I am disappointed, though, in the bass. I have read a number of reviews that rave about the bass production of the rear 6x9s, but my first impression is that I have actually lost bass from the stockers. ....
After listening to the stock speakers for a while, the Avincar ones sound a bit "thin" at first, but if you play something with real bass, like techno, etc., it actually is producing a fair amount of bass, just not the boomy higher frequency bass the stock speakers were producing. It's a much more neutral sound, but I think it produces a lot of bass for the passengers. If you step out of the car, you don't hear much bass; this is probably a good thing, at least for your neighbors. I keep thinking that one day, I'll take some measurements and find out for sure what is going on....
Old 09-02-2006 | 11:34 AM
VP Electricity

Good suggestion. I'll do an RTA on our local TSX system and on an OEM system.