TL: Any recommended installers around Morris County, NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 11:28 AM
Instructor

Any recommended installers around Morris County, NJ?

I'm going to replace the stock HU and put in my old Kenwood excelon HU and add my old Sirius tuner and antenna.

The one installer I talked to yesterday mentioned having to get a new harness for my Kenwood. I think that was pretty pricey (over $100) and over $300 for the whole install (including Sirius tuner and antenna).

I was reading the thread about installing an after-market HU and having the sub still connected, and I don't believe it mentioned getting a new harness.

This installer seems pretty good (independent, not BB or CC), but I'm not sure if I'm overpaying for this.

thx!
Old 05-14-2009 | 11:39 AM
Drifting

It shouldn't be that difficult to do it yourself. Hooking up a head unit should just be soldering some wires (although I've never done one with a factory amp) and the Sirius is just running the cable to wherever you want it, and hooking everything up.

With all the info on here, it shouldn't be that hard to DIY it...
Old 05-14-2009 | 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

No idea how close he is or where he's currently at but there use to be a guy on here called I think StreetEffectz who does awesome work..
Old 05-14-2009 | 07:33 PM
Instructor

Thanks Jonesi - StreetEffectz is actually a business not too far from me. The guy who posted here doesn't work there anymore unfortunately, but they say the installation should be no problem. I may go down there at lunchtime tomorrow to talk.

I really shouldn't be doing this diy.. I'd manage to screw it up..

I stopped by another indie place today and they said I couldn't put a new HU in without it making the navi inoperable! His only recommendation was to do a pnp unit to get sirius, with an fm connection because the head unit was too old to accept a direct connection. wow... I just shook my head and walked out..
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by goMO
Thanks Jonesi - StreetEffectz is actually a business not too far from me. The guy who posted here doesn't work there anymore unfortunately, but they say the installation should be no problem. I may go down there at lunchtime tomorrow to talk.

I really shouldn't be doing this diy.. I'd manage to screw it up..

I stopped by another indie place today and they said I couldn't put a new HU in without it making the navi inoperable! His only recommendation was to do a pnp unit to get sirius, with an fm connection because the head unit was too old to accept a direct connection. wow... I just shook my head and walked out..

I've only heard good things about that place. I would stick with them they've always seemed fairly priced also. I've seen a lot of good work come out of that place on here.

Stay away from place #2.. Sadly the installers might be talented and it may just be a uneducated salesman but either way don't take any chances.
Old 05-15-2009 | 01:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to go with them. He quoted me around a buck and a quarter for everything (about 2 hours). That's about half of my original guy (not the dimwit recommending the fm modulator..).

One thing I'm trying to get, and I may do a new post for this, is an auxilary input that runs off the Sirius tuner. From what my original guy said, only the older Sirius tuners (which is what I have) have a pass-through that I could hook up an aux to in order to get a line out to hook up a mp3 player. Problem is, the cable would only work with the older tuner, and they may be hard to come by. I will check ebay for that, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on hooking up an aux to the Sirius tuner.

thx!!
Old 05-15-2009 | 04:53 PM
Pleasure Unit

StreetEffectz merged with Installations Unlimited (Rt 22 in Union) in 2006. Ron is there as is his brother.
Old 05-15-2009 | 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to go with them. He quoted me around a buck and a quarter for everything (about 2 hours). That's about half of my original guy (not the dimwit recommending the fm modulator..).

One thing I'm trying to get, and I may do a new post for this, is an auxilary input that runs off the Sirius tuner. From what my original guy said, only the older Sirius tuners (which is what I have) have a pass-through that I could hook up an aux to in order to get a line out to hook up a mp3 player. Problem is, the cable would only work with the older tuner, and they may be hard to come by. I will check ebay for that, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on hooking up an aux to the Sirius tuner.

thx!!

Sounds odd.. Is this what Ron or his brother told you? I'd talk to them for sure. They are very creative and crafty.

You can get adapters that allow more then one auxillary input if that's what your asking. Blitzsafe makes dual input adapters and so do many other of the companies. See the DIY thread I have all the adapters available in there. Atleast I think I got them all. Sorry I'm a bit confused as to what you want exactly...
Old 05-16-2009 | 11:50 AM
Instructor

basically I want to add an input for an mp3 player (right now, that's my blackberry which I have a 4gb mini-sd card in. So I want a cord that goes out to the glove compartment that I can connect the blackberry to.

The older style Kenwood satellite tuner has a "to slave unit" input on it, and that should work to get a cord into, with the other side being a 3.5". The kenwood excelon HU that I'm putting in is pretty old as well, and doesn't have any aux inputs besides the sat input.

The
Old 05-16-2009 | 11:51 AM
Instructor

I was dealing with Sean there. They don't carry Kenwood products so he said I should try to find it on my own...
Old 05-16-2009 | 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

What is the model number of the Kenwwod you're putting in? Need more info in order to assist you..Most, EVEN older models have a spot on the back of the radio for a CD changer which aux adapters utilize to give you the extra spots you need..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kenwood+auxiliary+input

Which normally look like this

basically I want to add an input for an mp3 player (right now, that's my blackberry which I have a 4gb mini-sd card in. So I want a cord that goes out to the glove compartment that I can connect the blackberry to.

The older style Kenwood satellite tuner has a "to slave unit" input on it, and that should work to get a cord into, with the other side being a 3.5". The kenwood excelon HU that I'm putting in is pretty old as well, and doesn't have any aux inputs besides the sat input.
I am a bit confused by this.. Sounds like you need a 3.5mm jack input and the Kenwood has it?

Sorry I'm just confused as heck..

edit:
I'm going to replace the stock HU and put in my old Kenwood excelon HU and add my old Sirius tuner and antenna.
I think I have it.. You have a old Kenwood headunit you want to install, a older sirius tuner and a blackberry..

And the sirius connection is a RCA connection or 3.5mm? The Crackberry is a 3.5mm we know that..

Is this all correct?

If it's a 3.5mm on both have you thought of splitter like I mentioned in your other thread?
Old 05-16-2009 | 08:36 PM
Instructor

sorry for the confusion. I was looking at the back of the Kenwood HU and it does have two RCA's coming out that have a label (aux). That is in addition to the Sirius input from the tuner.

So I think I'm ok. I can run some type of 2>1 cable from the two RCA's to a 3.5 jack for the blackberry. I don't think I have to worry about going through the Kenwood satelitte tuner and can just use the aux input from the HU.

See, I wouldn't be good at doing this myself.....
Old 05-16-2009 | 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

sorry for the confusion. I was looking at the back of the Kenwood HU and it does have two RCA's coming out that have a label (aux). That is in addition to the Sirius input from the tuner.

So I think I'm ok. I can run some type of 2>1 cable from the two RCA's to a 3.5 jack for the blackberry. I don't think I have to worry about going through the Kenwood satelitte tuner and can just use the aux input from the HU.

See, I wouldn't be good at doing this myself.....

There you go.. I think you're on the right page.. If I can help with anything or if you have any questions let me know.