any advice on building a sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any advice on building a sub box?

hey I am thinking about putting either a one or two sub enclosure using L7kickers, and one of the RS series Rockford fosgate amp.

I was looking around at boxes, and they are all round, so that would mean that i would need to get a kicker box, or build my own, or have it done for me.

Are there any "Building Subwoofer Boxes for Dummies" sites? What materials are the best, and how much would I save if i built my own.

any help would greatly be apreciated.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ya plenty actually....but if you go to the JL Audio website they have plenty of tutorials you can look at.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

There are plenty of premade sub boxes built for the L7. Stop in at your local Kicker dealer and they should have a few. If not there are web sites that offer the boxes.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:47 PM
Racer

i will check my kicker dealer and see what they have. I have seen them range anywhere from 100-200 bucks, how much on average would a home made one cost? im trying to save as much money as possible since i have to have my rear bumper replaced.

i will check JL Audio's website about tuts. thanks!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is a couple of examples you can buy on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712231695&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713070190&rd=1
Old 08-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

If you can't find it locally go to www.thezeb.com and click on the Subzone brand. They make some real good boxes and they do have the ones made for L7's.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:42 PM
My baby's daddy

PASHAW, I say! Build it. c'mon! don't be a pu$$y.

BOX STUFF By Eddie Runner
How to Build a Subwoofer Box by Erin Blanton
Woofer Box Aiming - by Eddie Runner

I built mine. It took several days. If you have wood, glue, a circular saw, a jig saw, a drill, a belt sander, a palm sander, a t-square, sand paper, wood clamps, a terminal cup, some thin carpet, spray adhesive, a staple gun and a brad gun laying around, it'll be cheap. You'll need one 4x8 sheet of board, most likey. I used maple 5/8" Maple vaneered plywood. Use MDF if you don't mind the weight. If you have access to tools, go for it. If all you have is a jig saw and a Black and Decker cordless drill, nah. Buy one.

Get your plans on paper and completely worked out first. It'll be easier if you make it square or use a standard wedge. I did all sorts of silly tilts and tapers and spent three days trying to figure out all the angles. Soacahtoa, f&(% off.

Measure three times. Measure until you get every last length perfect, then two more times. Or, get lots of extra wood.

Use wood clamps if you have them. I skipped that step and one of my edges isnt perfect. Wish i could go back and clamp it. If you haven't got a clamp, and you have a ratcheting tie down strap, use that. before you tighten it, put some wood pieces in between the strap and the flat plane of the wood on the side that caps the edges. that will help push the end in rather than bow it or put pressure just at the strap. But don't just nail it and go get a Coke.

Bottom line, however, is: it is a cube. It could only be easier if it were a square.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Racer

thanks for all the links! well i have all the supplies since i do alot of woodworking, although i would need to pick up some 3/4" MDF.

Subzone does have a nice selection of enclosures, and especialy the vented one looks cool.

thanks for all the help!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
My baby's daddy

I take that back, I used 3/4" maple vaneered plywood (not 5/8). I'll get pics next week. I left it at the inlaws to dry and set. It turned out beautiful! The fit is precise, It doesn't weight too much, it is incredibly rigid. I took every last step i could think of to ensure a good seal. The only thing that I'm worried about now is that it my sub could blow it to pieces. Doubtful, huh? I went with a rosewood stain and polyeurothane. I prefer a furniture look to carpeted luggage.