Alright, I finally got a CD Changer in my '99 TL!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003 | 02:43 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up Alright, I finally got a CD Changer in my '99 TL!

And the great thing is I did it myself. No installation fees. Anyone can do it, and I mean anyone.

When I started this endeavor, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get information on how to do this. The sad part is is that it basically is a piece of cake once you know the facts.

The facts are, you only need two things in order to get a CD changer in your TL: a connector that connects your HU (headunit/radio) to the changer, and the changer itself.

The first piece is made by several manufacturers, but the one I used is made by Blitzsafe. Here's a link to their website with the part # necessary and instructions on getting it to work: http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...alp_dmxv1.html

I actually purchased this piece at a local stereo outlet for $99. I realize I could have gotten it cheaper on-line, but I didn't want to wait for it.

As far as the changer, the Blitzsafe is made to connect to an Alpine changer, and I used the Alpine S630. I believe they are going to be phasing this unit out and coming out with a new unit to replace this one, but I don't know what the new unit will be called.

The best part of all of this is it will still be controlled by the HU, including the steering wheel controls.

My only disappointment with the unit is I cannot get it to shuffle all of the CD's at once. It will play one CD randomly, but even though I have been told the S630 will shuffle all the CD's at once if it is given the proper instructions from the HU, I cannot get it to actually do it.

Finally, I never dreamed of putting it in myself, but after reading some threads on this board, I decided to give it a try. Probably the best thread to help get the panels off in order to get behind the radio is the following:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...t=remove+radio

For me, the final piece of the puzzle was getting the wood trim and side panel off in order to get behind the radio. To get the wood trim off, just open your armrest all the way and pull up on the end of the wood trim. Be careful b/c you don't want to snap it but it shouldn't be that hard. It's held in by clips. Once you get the end up the portion up by the radio & glove box must be pulled slightly towards the back of the car. That's it!

After that, take off the visible screws, which should be 3, and then unclip the necessary clips, which you can see in the above thread under treat 3. The hardest part after this was getting the clips off that attach to the dash next to the glovebox. I have to give complete credit to ArN 2000 TL for solving this final dilema.

Once you removed the 3 screws all you have to do is this...its a bit tricky but works. Bend the panel outwards (towards the passenger side door) from the middle...kind of bowing it out. Then slide the far side out (the side near the seat) and then the other side will pull striaght out via clips.

After getting the panel off, it's just a matter of getting the Blitzsafe plugged into the back of the radio. If you feel behind the radio on the bottom part on the passenger side, you can feel the opening where the plug goes. I really don't have any insight how to get it in there, but I sat in the drivers seat and leaned over and used my left hand to plug it in. It probably took me more than 5 minutes of fiddlin' to get it in there. The hardest part was keeping your bearings while trying to get it in there.

Finally, I put my changer under the passenger seat facing the back, so that I can reach around the back to change CD's, and therefore I can do it while driving without having to get in my trunk. It's also easy to wire it when you don't go very far either.

I hope this helps anyone interested in putting in a CD Changer. It is not difficult to, and it sounds great. My final cost was $99 for the Blitzsafe connector and $229 for the Alpine Changer. I believe if you are willing to order on-line, you can get a better price for these items, but I'm not a patient person. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2003 | 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Congrats
Old 06-15-2003 | 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Hi,
I'm trying to install an Alpine CHA-S634.
I don't have the activation code for my head unit, will I have to disconnect it from battery, or I can just plug in the cable, and that's it.
Any harm on the changer if I do it without disconnecting from the battery?
Thanks,
Old 06-15-2003 | 09:55 PM
Drifting

does anyone know if a cd changer out of a 2000 accord, will work in a 2000 TL.. Do we still need to use an adapter or will the same cable work?

i installed the honda 6 disk changer in my sisters 00 accord, but her lease is up in a few weeks and if it works in my TL, i will pull it and try to install it..

thanks..
Old 06-15-2003 | 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hooman
Hi,
I'm trying to install an Alpine CHA-S634.
I don't have the activation code for my head unit, will I have to disconnect it from battery, or I can just plug in the cable, and that's it.
Any harm on the changer if I do it without disconnecting from the battery?
Thanks,
I just plugged it in without disconnecting the battery. I've had no problems with my Alpine unit.
Old 07-25-2003 | 06:07 PM
Advanced

Congrats on your installation. Does your play MP3s? I'm currently looking at the Alpine CHA-S634 which does play MP3s.

Will the stock head unit display the CD Text? Can I navigate through the various folders? I don't see how the stock head can support this. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2003 | 09:24 AM
Instructor

I just have the 630, but there are plenty of threads on the 634's capabilities with the headunit, just do a search. I believe there are many limitations with the 634, but better to get the info from firsthand users. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007 | 01:07 AM
2nd Gear

I read from crutchfield.com that the Alpine CHA-S634 CD Changer is not compatible with the 2000 TL w/o NAVI. Did anyone have any success using it with their TL?