All the iPod connector makers say "not for cars with navi"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the iPod connector makers say "not for cars with navi"

I read the 22 pages DIY from the guy who used an IceLink to connect to the open 14 pin CD changer port on the back of the head unit in his 01 navi CL. But that Ice-Link is discontined and the web site now has no mention of the CL. Other devices I've looked at online say they work with 01-03 CLs but not if you have navi. What does that have to do with it? Has anyone else used that CD changer connector on their 01-03 CL with navi? I'm trying to avoid resorting to a wired FM modulator.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The Icelink Plus gives you audio AND charging AND control of the iPod.

If you sacrifice control of the iPod, I would suggest the following:

1) Use the IceLink AUX Mini - gives you a cradle, audio out, and charging - with NO controls. (Ignore the word "mini" - it can be purchased with a mini cradle or a standard cradle with a mini insert. You have to use the thumbwheel for control, but since you may use Shuffle when driving anyway, it might not matter...

2) Get an AUX in for that car... I beleive that Blitzsafe makes an AUX in for that car that comes with the "Y" cable needed for Navi integration.

I will check on Monday and confirm...
Old 07-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Icelink Plus would be great if their web site didn't show the 2004+ TL and TSX as the only Acuras supported.

Why do I need a Y connector for the AUX port on the back of the head unit if the connector is sitting there unused?

I'd actually prefer to keep control of the iPod available on the iPod itself but still have at least track advance work from the steering wheel. Some adapters I've seen kill the screen and the iPod's controls when connected. I don't really want that.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a neo iOn (Click -----> Here ) installed in my '99 TL. All the controls on the iPod still work and the steering wheel controls still work.

I also have an Icelink Plus that I was all set to install only to find out they shipped the wrong adaptor cable. I sent Dension an email and asked for a 14 pin (7 over 7) adaptor cable. They said it will take a few days since they were out of stock.

I will be able to report on how the Icelink Plus works by next weekend.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the Neo iOn is the one I really want but their PDF application guide says it doesn't work with Acuras with navi. I sent them an email asking if they can explain what the problem is. I know sometimes companies make blanket statements that aren't quite true if you dig a little farther.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Drifting

I have Navi, the Neo iOn works fine. BTW, the only thing I don't like about the Neo iOn is the fact that when you don't have the iPod in the car, you have the cord sitting there. I ran the cord through the opening above the 'this is not an ashtray' and used a ProClip to hold the iPod.

Last edited by MikePA; 07-09-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikePA
I have Navi, the Neo iOn works fine. BTW, the only thing I don't like about the Neo iOn is the fact that when you don't have the iPod in the car, you have the cord sitting there. I ran the cord through the opening above the 'this is not an ashtray' and used a ProClip to hold the iPod.
Does the 99 TL have the same head unit as the later TLs and CLs (with the 6 CD changer in-dash)? I'm thinking of running the cord into the armrest. It shouldn't be too hard once the console is taken apart.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
Does the 99 TL have the same head unit as the later TLs and CLs (with the 6 CD changer in-dash)? I'm thinking of running the cord into the armrest. It shouldn't be too hard once the console is taken apart.
I suggest visting the link in my eariler post and entering your year and model. Why would you want to put the iPod in the armrest? It means you're not going to be able to see the display.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe because he looks where he's driving... : )

It's probably on shuffle. A common means of use, I find...
Old 07-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elduderino
Maybe because he looks where he's driving... : )

It's probably on shuffle. A common means of use, I find...
Yes, I look where I'm going when I'm driving. I have plenty of time before starting or while sitting at a light to browse around and start a particular CD or playlist. And the best way to get your car broken into is to put a very popular $300-400 piece of electronics in view when parked. I don't even want a dangling cable visible to let someone know there *might* be something inside worth stealing.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikePA
I suggest visting the link in my eariler post and entering your year and model. Why would you want to put the iPod in the armrest? It means you're not going to be able to see the display.
From their company's main website:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/pdf/Compa...ty%20Guide.pdf

It says it works on all 99-02 Acuras unless you have navi. Yet their mp3yourcar.com site has no mention of navigation problems. And your 99 Navi TL works. That's why I'm so confused: too much contradictory information.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
It says it works on all 99-02 Acuras unless you have navi. Yet their mp3yourcar.com site has no mention of navigation problems. And your 99 Navi TL works. That's why I'm so confused: too much contradictory information.
I don't know why they say it wont work with Navi. With the adaptor installed, 'the car' thinks the aux CD changer is installed and the aux CD changer doesn't affect the NAVI so why should any of these adaptors (Neo iOn, Blitzsafe, Icelink)? Weird why they say this.

Last edited by MikePA; 07-10-2005 at 05:41 AM.