alarm with remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm with remote start

im lookin into buyin one, and considering i dont know anything about this, id like to get help on choosing one.

recently, my friend's brother's g35 got broken into. whoever did it jabbed at the doorlock, yanked it out (obviously doing damage to the body), so that they could open the hood in order to steal his passenger side headlight. (causing horrible damage to the body in the process.) seeing the damage, it scared me since i always park there overnight and if it wasnt for something happening a few days earlier, i woulda been the one parking there. hence my interest in an alarm. i dont know much about them, but i woulda thought something stabbing at the doorhandle/lock and prying it out would have set the alarm off. so i want something that will help me sleep at night, as well as one with a remote start so that when running late in the morning, i dont hate myself for not giving my car enough warming time. whoever knows a good product, and would suggest it, please do so. btw, i have a MT.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would check these threads out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/car-audio-article-alarm-system-design-setup-285781/

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/alarm-sensors-do-you-need-285782/

Many shops will install a RS onto an MT even tho it's a bad idea... but some RS units like Crimestopper and Compustar are set up to work with an MT, as long as you remember to go through some gyrations before shutdown the night before, to "prove" to the unit that it's not in gear. I personally dislike it a lot, but it gets done anyway.

As far as alarms and what sets them off, check out those threads. Please note that it's better to have more different kinds of sensors set lower than one sensor set higher and thereby falsing.

I think you might want to check out Zippo's.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Eld, do you think he should get a battery backup and/or backup siren too?

Sounds like the people who broke into the G35 had enough time to open the door and pop the hood. If they had enough time to do that, they would probably be able to cut power to the alarm at the battery. Just a thought
Old 02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
VP Electricity

I think that every alarm for every decently nice car should have a B/U battery (not a siren) and a separate piezo siren inside the car. The B/U battery siren is bigger and harder to hide, and has a key switch on it you need to reach, so it really can't be installed in a concealed location.

I also hide the main siren inside the inner fender or under an air cleaner or somewhere else no one will get to it. I also like horn honk for that reason.

P.S. Good point - I call that out in the article : )
Old 02-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just got my alarm installed.... Viper 791XV with car start... comes with a pager that alerts me if anyting is happening to the car... so far so good.. I also got a glass breakage sensor put in.. i would recommend this alarm its kinda nice...

you guys really think an alarm should have a back up battery??? the only thing i added on was the glass breakage sensor....
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
VP Electricity

Hey, Silver Ice, have you read my articles?

Yes, I do. I don't want to discuss online how to disable alarms... but think about it.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro

honestly, i dont even understand how a back up battery works.. what if u just tell me how that is supposd to support it and i can probalby figure it out...

ALso, if i was to go back to my instaler, how much do you think it will run to get a back up batttery installed.... battery and labor

thanx
Old 02-03-2005, 07:43 PM
VP Electricity

The concept is covered in the first article link I posted - point #5. As far as cost goes, I used to charge $75 at the time of original install and $100 to go back in and do it later (since it's more work). Your mileage may vary...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Pro

75$ including the battery?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
VP Electricity

yep... it's small.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks elduderino, that was helpful. now i know what to ask for. just wondering though...which of the options do you consider a "must-have"?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:06 AM
VP Electricity

I consider a b/u battery a must have, and I like that you have a glass break mike. I like a hood pin - I don't have a lot of faith in it, but it's easy enough to add - and I think your trunk pin should be covered too (a lot of installers leave it out).

If you have wheels I think you should have a digital tilt sensor. (Even OE wheels get stolen.) I like a piezo inside - in the air vents over the radio if you have an aftermarket radio - but I also use these to deter air bag theft.

In '96, I had a guy come into my store who wanted to learn about alarms. In his 40's, silver executive style hair - turned out he was an airline pilot. I asked him what kind of car he would be protecting, and he said Integra GS-R. I asked him if it had been hit yet, and he replied, "All 4 wheels, factory CD changer, and both airbags - in my driveway".

I do believe, though, that the add-ons are less important than the install. Consumer Reports says that 80% of the effectiveness is the install, and I agree. If I can reach under the dash and grab the brain and unplug it, or easily find the power wire or siren wire and cut them, what good did all those add-ons do? Little to none.

Finally, I like the two-way remote alarms - but I wouldn't trade a two-way for any of he others, if I was on a budget. A couple years ago, I heard a story about someone going out into their work parking lot in broad daylight to accost kids who were stealing their radio. Turned out the kids were gangbangers who pointed a nine at him and told him to leave, so he did.

He thought the kids were Vietnamese. In one sense, it doesn't matter, but in another sense, there are people out there who have gone through some heavy shit before even they got here, and who have even less regard for human life than the local thugs - and that's saying something. Am I gonna get into a tussle with people that hard? Sure, we can go all tough and talk about our own guns and stuff, and buck up, but I know that my car ain't worth killing anyone, even if they were in the wrong -so I don't overestimate the value of a two-way.

The biggest reason I like the two-way is the ID of the zone that's trigggering the alarm - cause no one ever counts the LED flashes, but knowing which trigger you got is the only way to tell if your sensors are too high and pissing off the neighborhood... my next alarm I MAY not have a siren - I am thinking of doing two-way, piezo inside, and MAYBE putting the horn-honk on a relay with the door pins so if the door is actually open the horn will start.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Damn, eld, sounds to me like I need to get you to install my alarms when I can afford nicer cars. You don't happen to do mobile installs, do you?

Good info