Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001 | 08:53 PM
Instructor

Post Aftermarket Stereo

Does anyone know if you install a aftermarket stereo if the steering wheel volume controls still work???

------------------
'91 Honda Accord
'01 Mazda Millenia
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1514319
Old 03-28-2001 | 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

WoW! That's one of the most intelligent question's I've heard in a while! Unfortunately, I don't think it will work.. I could be wrong though.. I know that my friend had an older Acura Legend, changed the head unit, and was no longer able to use the steering wheel controls...but once again, I could be wrong..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...
= ------------------>
Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-28-2001 | 10:01 PM
Advanced

Unfortunately the aswer to this is no. There are a few types of cars (mostly domestic) where you can if your installer is damn good and your lucky. Otherwise your out of luck that is unless you do what i see done before and considered doing in my legend. If you got with a high end radio, as i assume you would, most reputable installers can custom mount the remote into the center arm rest. Now this isn't quite as good as Steeringwheel controls but it's a thought . . .

------------------
Scott
The Rosewood Dream
visit www.AcuraLegends.Com for information about the national Acura Meet
Old 03-28-2001 | 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Well you can't connect an aftermarket deck to your steering wheel - but there is a device made by PAC called the SWI Factory Steering Wheel Interface that uses your new deck's infrared remote to transmit controls from your steering wheel. In fact one of our members has one installed and he has all kinds of custom button settings.

Here's the link to the company, click on "Products" then SWI Factory Steering Wheel Interface. PAC

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by TL Daddy on March 28, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-29-2001 | 05:17 AM
Advanced

Yes, what the device does, or simialr devices, is read your steering wheel controls different voltages. You then program your aftermarket decks IR remote codes to correspond with the correct steering wheel voltage. Mount the IR emmiter in a plce your head unit can see, and your set. Now, when you hit yout steering wheel controls, the unit reads the voltage, and sends out an IR code that your aftermarket deck can understand.

------------------
Chris K.
Old 03-29-2001 | 10:36 AM
Racer

Originally posted by ChrisK:
Yes, what the device does, or simialr devices, is read your steering wheel controls different voltages. You then program your aftermarket decks IR remote codes to correspond with the correct steering wheel voltage. Mount the IR emmiter in a plce your head unit can see, and your set. Now, when you hit yout steering wheel controls, the unit reads the voltage, and sends out an IR code that your aftermarket deck can understand.

Wouldn't that require that your aftermarket head unit have an IR remote? How many have those anyway? (My Sony head unit has a wired remote, which I left off because there was no obvious place to put it and I can reach the deck controls with no problem anyway).

Old 04-09-2001 | 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/steering_wheel.htm
here is what you need to make them work!!