Advice on 1st Gen TSX Speaker Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Advice on 1st Gen TSX Speaker Options

I'm looking to do a fairly cheap upgrade to my 06 TSX. I researched replacing the amp and that is more cost then I plan to spend so I'm stuck with just a speaker upgrade. I pretty much decided on the Alpine Type-S speakers because of their sensitivity and I liked the Alpine sound better than the Infinity. I have some questions on some options...

1. Since the rear shelf 6x9's only get the low frequency I was not going to bother replacing them, so if I just upgrade all four doors with SPS-17C2s and not bother with the 6x9's will this be okay? Will mixing the Alpine and the factory speakers sound odd?

2. Could I send the rear door signal to the rear shelf 6x9s, bypassing the rear door completely, and put a 2-way SPS-69C2 in the rear? If so how would I do this? Do the rear shelf speaker wires run near the rear door wires?

3. Does bypassing the rear door (or rear shelf) send more power to the remaining channels? Seems like the 6x9's aren't doing that much.

Thanks for any advice...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Summer is Coming

SPS-17C2 Discontinued

I noticed that the 17C2 is being discontinued but I can still get it some places. The SPS-600 seems to be its replacement but the sensitivities are very different. The 17C2 is 92dB/w and the 600 is 88dB/w. If I used the less efficient 600's will that be a problem for the amp? I'm not playing at high levels, I just want better sound. Has anyone used the SPS-600?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
i would just worry about the front stage...nice frontstage with alot of power> fronts+rears
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Summer is Coming

Okay well I think I decided to go with SPS-17C2's for the front doors and SPS-69C2's for the rear shelf. Then I'm going to run the full signal from the rear doors to the rear shelf and do without the rear doors. Does anyone know if this will send more power to the 4 channels if the "subwoofer" channel is taken out?

I played with the fader control and the sound coming from the rear doors is pretty much lost on front seat passengers. And nothing pretty much comes from the rear deck. Not sure why Acura did this. They should have made the rear deck full spectrum and the rear doors the added bass.

So I dug through the service manual and the wires for the two rear deck speakers both come through the passenger side floor harness along the door sills. The wires for the passenger rear door also comes through here, but of course the drivers side rear door comes through the drivers side floor harness. I was hoping there would be some easy way to just re-wire the harness to send the door signals to the rear. But it looks like I'll have to intercept the door signals at the B-pillar rear door connectors and run new wire to the rear shelf speakers.

Does anyone feel there is an easy way to fish a speaker wire across the bottom of the rear floor? Can I get by with just pulling out the rear seat?

Last edited by Rocket_man; 04-07-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Okay well I think I decided to go with SPS-17C2's for the front doors and SPS-69C2's for the rear shelf. Then I'm going to run the full signal from the rear doors to the rear shelf and do without the rear doors. Does anyone know if this will send more power to the 4 channels if the "subwoofer" channel is taken out?

I played with the fader control and the sound coming from the rear doors is pretty much lost on front seat passengers. And nothing pretty much comes from the rear deck. Not sure why Acura did this. They should have made the rear deck full spectrum and the rear doors the added bass.

So I dug through the service manual and the wires for the two rear deck speakers both come through the passenger side floor harness along the door sills. The wires for the passenger rear door also comes through here, but of course the drivers side rear door comes through the drivers side floor harness. I was hoping there would be some easy way to just re-wire the harness to send the door signals to the rear. But it looks like I'll have to intercept the door signals at the B-pillar rear door connectors and run new wire to the rear shelf speakers.

Does anyone feel there is an easy way to fish a speaker wire across the bottom of the rear floor? Can I get by with just pulling out the rear seat?
I'm looking at just replacing my two front speakers. I hope someone can answer but, I may have to head to a different forum as this one seems dead. You can't get answers for crap.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Does the service manual say anything about the EQ settings for the rear door speakers? I'm thinking they're not full range. And I know the rear deck isn't. And do the rear door speakers receive as much power as the rear deck speakers? More info on the TSX processing would be quite helpful, I just don't know where to get that info from.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by litesout
Does the service manual say anything about the EQ settings for the rear door speakers? I'm thinking they're not full range. And I know the rear deck isn't. And do the rear door speakers receive as much power as the rear deck speakers? More info on the TSX processing would be quite helpful, I just don't know where to get that info from.
I posted the factory amp response numbers a long time ago. Castles_Saloon also posted a graph here http://picasaweb.google.com/castles....16270485210226. If the link doesn’t work try searching for posts by me and Castles_Saloon, we did a lot of work on this subject.

Jeff
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
rocket_man, i recently replaced all the stock speakers and am still running of the oem amp. i must say that everything sounds pretty impressive. i'm really just glad that i can turn up the volume without having the speakers pop and eventually go out on me.

FYI i have kenwood excelon components in the F (crossovers are for sale btw)
rockford fosgate speakers in R door and deck
Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by mercman
I posted the factory amp response numbers a long time ago. Castles_Saloon also posted a graph here http://picasaweb.google.com/castles....16270485210226. If the link doesn’t work try searching for posts by me and Castles_Saloon, we did a lot of work on this subject.

Jeff
Thanks mercman.. it looks like I would be making a mistake by routing the rear door signal to the rear deck. Most of the low end is removed from the rear door channel and is expected to come from the rear channel.

Is there any way to sum the rear and rear door signals together? I can't just splice the speaker wires together? rear door + rear shelf = new rear shelf signal?