Added Alpine SPS 171A's to my 06 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:03 AM
TSX4EVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added Alpine SPS 171A's to my 06 TSX

I had installed the Alpine component SPS 171A speakers in my front doors and dash in my 06 TSX.

They really make a difference. Really brings out the vocals and high notes. The bass sounds a little tighter as well.

A great sound improvement for not a lot of money. I had the work done for me so I don't have a lot of technical details. I know that they used the crossovers in the TSX and they had to add one spacer.

I really like the improvement.

Excited
Old 02-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by excited
I had installed the Alpine component SPS 171A speakers in my front doors and dash in my 06 TSX.

They really make a difference. Really brings out the vocals and high notes. The bass sounds a little tighter as well.

A great sound improvement for not a lot of money. I had the work done for me so I don't have a lot of technical details. I know that they used the crossovers in the TSX and they had to add one spacer.

I really like the improvement.

Excited

Was the volume the same or louder?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Was the volume the same or louder?
The SPS 171A's are a little more efficient than stock speakers. I had to adjust the fader to bias the rear speakers a little more to create a better balance.

The difference in sound is very noticeable. Although I didn't mind the stock speakers I felt that the vocals sounded like they were more in the background. The Alpines really bring forth the vocals and they are out fromt where they should be. The new speakers make the music sound more real and the highs are really crisp.

They cost me $189 Cdn and were a very good investment.

I notice that your age is similar to mine. I suspect that you may be like me where I don't need the neighbours down the block to hear the bass, but rather to hear good sound reproduction. The Alpines really help to achieve that.

Excited
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, these are powered by the OEM amp and you just swapped the speakers? Do you know if the installer used the OEM tweeter signal to your new Alpine tweeters or if they used the front door signal and the Alpine crossover?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The SPS 171A's are a little more efficient than stock speakers. I had to adjust the fader to bias the rear speakers a little more to create a better balance.
Preferences are preferences, but they are not more efficient. I used to run the 171A's and off the stock amp, and there was a volume loss. Overall quality was better to be sure, but they are not more efficient that the stock speakers.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

The difference in sound is very noticeable. Although I didn't mind the stock speakers I felt that the vocals sounded like they were more in the background. The Alpines really bring forth the vocals and they are out fromt where they should be. The new speakers make the music sound more real and the highs are really crisp.

They cost me $189 Cdn and were a very good investment.

I notice that your age is similar to mine. I suspect that you may be like me where I don't need the neighbours down the block to hear the bass, but rather to hear good sound reproduction. The Alpines really help to achieve that.

Excited

Are there matching woofers for these speakers?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:08 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by jlukja
So, these are powered by the OEM amp and you just swapped the speakers? Do you know if the installer used the OEM tweeter signal to your new Alpine tweeters or if they used the front door signal and the Alpine crossover?
Yes, they are just powered by the OEM amp. He recommended the Alpine S - type speakers because I wasn't changing the amp.

I'm pretty sure that he used the OEM tweeter signal as he told me he did not use the Alpine crossovers.

Excited
Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Spoon
Preferences are preferences, but they are not more efficient. I used to run the 171A's and off the stock amp, and there was a volume loss. Overall quality was better to be sure, but they are not more efficient that the stock speakers.
I am no expert in audio. All I know is that I had to adjust the fader control to favour the rear speakers to regain the balance.

They do sound better that is for sure.

Did you do anythihng else?

Excited
Old 02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Are there matching woofers for these speakers?
I will ask FX- Audio where I had my work done to see what they recommend.

Excited
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Team Owner

I will ask FX- Audio where I had my work done to see what they recommend.

Excited
Looks like the SPS-69C2 would be the matching Alpine 6x9 speaker.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 PM
TSX4EVR

Looks like the SPS-69C2 would be the matching Alpine 6x9 speaker.
Are the OEM rear speakers co-axials or just sub-woofers?

Thanks

Excited
Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are the OEM rear speakers co-axials or just sub-woofers?

Thanks

Excited
Excited, they're just subwoofers.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Excited, they're just subwoofers.

However, some folks have replaced the rear deck 6x9s with coaxials. They only get low frequency signals so there is nothing for the tweeter to play.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excited,

So you just replaced the front doors and dash tweeters, correct?
Aren't there also 6.5" (or whatever the same size is) speakers in the rear doors? Did you make a decision not to replace those or are you considering it for another time?

One of my many projects I hope to do soon will be to replace all the door speakers and tweeters. I believe I will go with the same products you did due to correct fitment, and compromise between quality and cost. I am very glad to see your positive write-up of them. BTW, do you know if your installer used the Alpine spacers that came with it or if he had to fabricate some?

I believe I will be replacing all 4 door speakers and the dash tweeters. After that, I'll disconnect the rear 6x9 woofers in favor of a 10" trunk subwoofer. I've got many, many parts on order now and far too little time to do everything. I hope to post pics and experiences as I go with the audio project.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:54 PM
TSX4EVR

Originally Posted by Reach
Excited,

So you just replaced the front doors and dash tweeters, correct?
Aren't there also 6.5" (or whatever the same size is) speakers in the rear doors? Did you make a decision not to replace those or are you considering it for another time?

One of my many projects I hope to do soon will be to replace all the door speakers and tweeters. I believe I will go with the same products you did due to correct fitment, and compromise between quality and cost. I am very glad to see your positive write-up of them. BTW, do you know if your installer used the Alpine spacers that came with it or if he had to fabricate some?

I believe I will be replacing all 4 door speakers and the dash tweeters. After that, I'll disconnect the rear 6x9 woofers in favor of a 10" trunk subwoofer. I've got many, many parts on order now and far too little time to do everything. I hope to post pics and experiences as I go with the audio project.
I just did the front doors and dash tweeters. I asked the audio guy about the rear door speakers and he told me that they were just "filler" speakers. I asked if I would notice much of a difference if I changed them out and he said not a lot. It didn't seem like a good value to change them out.

I believe that they used the Alpine spacers. He made the spacer thing sound pretty simple so I don't think that they fabricated anything. I did speak to them today but I will talk to them again tomorrow to confirm.

When I told him that some people were interested in improving the rear speakers he said that it would best to add an additional amp and sub woofers.

When I mentioned earlier that I talked to the audio guy from FX -Audio it was because he called me to follow up to make sure everything was okay and to see if I still liked the speakers. I thought that was pretty good of him.

Excited
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
TSX4EVR

However, some folks have replaced the rear deck 6x9s with coaxials. They only get low frequency signals so there is nothing for the tweeter to play.
As I said before I am not an audio expert, but I'm not sure how a co-axial can be better than a sub-woofer for producing the lower sounds unless the sub-woofer is really poor? (This is more of a question than a statement)

Excited