Acura XM radio install

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 08:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura XM radio install

Does anybody know where dealers put the 2004 XM module? Was it in the "not an ashtray" area or somewhere else??

Anybody have pics of a dealer install??

Thanks!!
Old 12-24-2004, 12:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Read the install instructions at handaaccessories.com - they have good drawings in the install instructions.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:03 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

There isn't an XM unit (dealer or OE) for 2004 TSX's is there?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:28 PM
VP Electricity

There is a lame rebadged Alpine unit that replaces NOT AN ASHTRAY... discussed in several threads. The lameness is inherent in the lights not matching, the alpha display being too short, and on top of that I think it's FM Modulated (Although it is apparently an Alpine Ai-NET cable with audio, so a $15 Ai-NET - to - RCA would let you plug into an SHOND).

I have the same unit from Alpine in my CR-V.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by elduderino
There is a lame rebadged Alpine unit that replaces NOT AN ASHTRAY... discussed in several threads. The lameness is inherent in the lights not matching, the alpha display being too short, and on top of that I think it's FM Modulated (Although it is apparently an Alpine Ai-NET cable with audio, so a $15 Ai-NET - to - RCA would let you plug into an SHOND).

I have the same unit from Alpine in my CR-V.

Honda has such a unit for the Accord, but I'm fairly certain no such unit exists for the TSX.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Stardog Champion

I would not use the factory Alpine unit for the reasons listed above. I had one in my RSX-S two years ago (it was an actual Alpine badged unit) and at that time it was pretty cool, but now the XM Commander and a Soundgate or Blitzsafe adapter is a much better option for less money. Waaaaay less money.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:43 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Karl O.
I would not use the factory Alpine unit for the reasons listed above. I had one in my RSX-S two years ago (it was an actual Alpine badged unit) and at that time it was pretty cool, but now the XM Commander and a Soundgate or Blitzsafe adapter is a much better option for less money. Waaaaay less money.

I currently use a Kenwood KCA wired FM-mod unit in all of our cars. I love the unit--I have no problem with the sound. If I could find an install that looked like the 03 Accord Alpine FM-mod install I would install it in a minute. You could always wire the tuner throught a blitzsafe in any case to by pass the FM mod.

My Kenwood setup:
(Kenwood is a KCA fm modulator/controller)
(Kenwood 902 Sirius Tuner)
(Kenwood Sirius Radio antenna)

Moda_way has the same system in his TSX but I want an even more OE install.

I have this setup hidden in my '00 Accord's sunglass holder and for me that is still not OE enough.

Here is an idea, can the Acura 05 radio non-Navi be installed in the 04 non-Navi car with a retrofit of an Antenna for XM radio? I'd be willing to buy the radio from the dealer for this. I may be in the minority but I love the OE radio in the TSX.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:47 AM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by MrChad
Honda has such a unit for the Accord, but I'm fairly certain no such unit exists for the TSX.
I'm very certain you're incorrect. They would have stopped making it for the 2005, obviously, but many on this board have seen it and some have bought it, and I've even seen Acura install instructions for it. It was listed as an option on acura.com and I think it used to be on HandAaccessories.com too.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

I'm very certain you're incorrect. They would have stopped making it for the 2005, obviously, but many on this board have seen it and some have bought it, and I've even seen Acura install instructions for it. It was listed as an option on acura.com and I think it used to be on HandAaccessories.com too.

Well, I'd love to purchase this...if someone wants to sell me an Acura OE XM radio kit please let me know.....
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
8th Gear

I may have answered my own question. I've been told that the the "dealer installed" XM radio is installed just below the radio. Anybody seen different?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Stardog Champion

Originally Posted by MrChad
I currently use a Kenwood KCA wired FM-mod unit in all of our cars. I love the unit--I have no problem with the sound. If I could find an install that looked like the 03 Accord Alpine FM-mod install I would install it in a minute. You could always wire the tuner throught a blitzsafe in any case to by pass the FM mod.
The FM modulator ruins the sound. I have an Alpine deck in my S2000 with the Alpine XM tuner and a Pioneer deck in my GS-R with the XM Direct Tuner, and the TSX XM quality is fairly close to those units. Of course, in the TSX you can actually hear the radio over the road noise so that helps.

The XM in my RSX-S with the FM modulator was crappy, poor frequency response and no volume. The RSX Bose system sucks, but the FM modulator made it that much worse. And, the little display of the Alpine/OEM unit really sucks. Dunno about the Kenwood display- I've never seen it- but once you get used to a decent display like the XM Commader, a little baby display like the Alpine/OEM display just doesn't cut it.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Karl O.
The FM modulator ruins the sound. I have an Alpine deck in my S2000 with the Alpine XM tuner and a Pioneer deck in my GS-R with the XM Direct Tuner, and the TSX XM quality is fairly close to those units. Of course, in the TSX you can actually hear the radio over the road noise so that helps.

The XM in my RSX-S with the FM modulator was crappy, poor frequency response and no volume. The RSX Bose system sucks, but the FM modulator made it that much worse. And, the little display of the Alpine/OEM unit really sucks. Dunno about the Kenwood display- I've never seen it- but once you get used to a decent display like the XM Commader, a little baby display like the Alpine/OEM display just doesn't cut it.

The only way I would install XM in the TSX would be with the Dealer install kit, I'm told it replaces the useless 'not an ashtray' , is this true? I'd love to see pictures of the TSX dealer install kit in any case.

If I have to install aftermarket gear I'll use Sirius equipment since I have several open acounts already which would provide me lower monthly rates then an additional XM account. Personally I'd prefer Sirius but if I can get an OE-Acura install with XM I'd go ahead and install it in the TSX...we are just going insane with out Satellite in the car...we have been living off my iPod and a Belkin modulator.

I've had Satellite for almost 2yrs now in the other rides and I don't know how I lived without it. BUt the negative temp weather is also a hold back, I'm not tearing the car apart in the garage until spring if it stays this cold . :P

The Accords install:
Old 12-27-2004, 05:19 PM
VP Electricity

The controller looks stupid in the NOT AN ASHTRAY spot... the green backlighting doesn't match the dash illumination, and the Alpine alphanumeric display doesn't scroll names or titles like the Kenwood is supposed to (from what I hear about it.)

Here is the Accord photo for the add-on... looks the same as the TSX kit.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/accord/XM.jpg

I tried to take mine apart to change the SMT LED's to match my CR-V orange illumination, but I couldn't get it apart with the little slack I had in the cable, so I have been putting it off.

I think that either a custom install in the sunglass holder or a custom install in the pocket would be better than burning the NOT AN ASHTRAY for a permanently-visible-but-non-matching display.

That said, if you get a look at the option and the cable described in the instructions is an Alpine AI-NET cable, you can get an Ai-NET to RCA adapter for $15 on eBay and run those RCA outs directly into the Blitz/SHOND adapter - not using the FM Mod and getting better sound.

Regardless, the HU will NOT display XM info on a 2004 without some kind of major hack...
Old 12-27-2004, 05:23 PM
VP Electricity

I should add that I use the Alpine version with an RCA adapter and run line level into the AUX on my Nak HU...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

I should add that I use the Alpine version with an RCA adapter and run line level into the AUX on my Nak HU...

So the Alpine controller doesn't scroll the song title or artist, my Kenwood unit does.

What model nakamichi are you running, I was thinking of getting one for my Accord.